Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #61  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingitDeb View Post
Love this forum!
Day 1 for me and feeling pretty nice, I had a slight headache/dizziness this afternoon that went away after I remembered to drink, drink, drink my water. So I thought I would post all that I consumed today and let you seasoned losers let me know if I am on the right track. Thanks for all your help and openness on this journey that I am embarking on with all of you. I hope I have all the success that you all seem to be having on Ideal Protein.

RTD Chocolate
Earl Grey Tea with 2 splendas and 1TBS 2% milk
2c. steamed veggies (from a restaurant ) with salt and pepper
Earl Grey tea with 1 splenda
RTD Strawberry Banana
Earl Grey with 3 splenda and 1TBS 2% milk
Roastbeef cooked in the oven
2c. Celery- cooked with the meat
RTD Chocolate

And lots of water!
Hi and welcome!

Looking at your day, the only things that stand out are to be careful about the Splenda packets - remember they have trace carbs, so using a lot over the course of the day can add up. Just something to be aware of if you also use things like 0 calorie/0 carb dressings, gum, or anything else with artificial sweetener in it.

Also, according to the Phase 1 sheet it should be skim milk and not 2% milk that is used if you so choose. For me that skim milk did nothing for my coffee, so I started using vanilla protein shake instead.

Last edited by scorbett1103; 03-01-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #62  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Love this forum!
Day 1 for me and feeling pretty nice, I had a slight headache/dizziness this afternoon that went away after I remembered to drink, drink, drink my water. So I thought I would post all that I consumed today and let you seasoned losers let me know if I am on the right track. Thanks for all your help and openness on this journey that I am embarking on with all of you. I hope I have all the success that you all seem to be having on Ideal Protein.

RTD Chocolate
Earl Grey Tea with 2 splendas and 1TBS 2% milk
2c. steamed veggies (from a restaurant ) with salt and pepper
Earl Grey tea with 1 splenda
RTD Strawberry Banana
Earl Grey with 3 splenda and 1TBS 2% milk
Roastbeef cooked in the oven
2c. Celery- cooked with the meat
RTD Chocolate

And lots of water!
Congrats on your 1st day!

On top of the 64oz of water a day you also need to add more water equal to each cup of tea you drink. Also be careful that restaurants are giving you 2 cups of cooked veggies as they're supposed to be measured raw then cooked. If they just parse out 2 cups of steamed veggies you're actually getting more than you're supposed to.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

Not sure if anyone has any advice, but here it goes...

I've been OP since 1/1/2013 and (i will not use the word "only") have lost 14 lbs. In these last eight-ish weeks, i have had pneumonia, been on antibiotics, had a nasty cold and have had issues with the big "C" (so slow/stalled losses could definitely contribute to these things). At this point all of these issues have resolved. However, i find having lost 14 lbs to be on the low end for this plan. I'm ecstatic these pounds are gone, however, i feel like i'm not losing like most do or as well as i did the first time on IP. I am using alternatives, mostly ProtiDiet with some WLS and ProtiThin mixed in and usually have a restricted every day (but just one).

I'm continuing to lose, just very s l o w l y. I'm following the plan meticulously as well. Should i be concerned or just keep trucking along?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 222/192/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thanks for the tweaking advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Hi and welcome!

Looking at your day, the only things that stand out are to be careful about the Splenda packets - remember they have trace carbs, so using a lot over the course of the day can add up. Just something to be aware of if you also use things like 0 calorie/0 carb dressings, gum, or anything else with artificial sweetener in it.

Also, according to the Phase 1 sheet it should be skim milk and not 2% milk that is used if you so choose. For me that skim milk did nothing for my coffee, so I started using vanilla protein shake instead.
Thanks...I was wondering if that was ok...I will cut back on those, maybe I need to find a tea that i don't feel i need to sweeten.

Thanks again, it looks like you have done a great job on this plan...congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
Congrats on your 1st day!

On top of the 64oz of water a day you also need to add more water equal to each cup of tea you drink. Also be careful that restaurants are giving you 2 cups of cooked veggies as they're supposed to be measured raw then cooked. If they just parse out 2 cups of steamed veggies you're actually getting more than you're supposed to.
Oh..THAT is really good to know, is that because of the caffeine or....?
I am going to try and not eat out too much, it just happened that way today.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #65  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittStar027 View Post
In these last eight-ish weeks, i have had pneumonia, been on antibiotics, had a nasty cold and have had issues with the big "C" (so slow/stalled losses could definitely contribute to these things).
I'm continuing to lose, just very s l o w l y. I'm following the plan meticulously as well. Should i be concerned or just keep trucking along?
Your losses are going to be on the low end because of ALL of these things. Any time your body is inflamed or dealing with illness, you are likely going to retain water. Antibiotics also cause some water retention. Add some C issues to that, and the slightly lower losses (I say slightly because your average is 1.75lb per week - just below the 2-3lb per week that is normal on IP) make perfect sense.

Now that you're clear of the illness and medications, you should see things pick up a bit. No need to worry until you have TRULY hit a stall, no losses in pounds or inches over multiple weeks.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #66  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:

Oh..THAT is really good to know, is that because of the caffeine or....?
I am going to try and not eat out too much, it just happened that way today.

Thanks
Thanks!

And yes, the extra water is to counteract the diuretic effect of caffeine in coffee or caffeinated tea. You get a "free pass" on the first cup, but anything after that you need to drink the same amount of extra water for each cup.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #67  
PCOS. Started IP 3/8/13

S/C/G: 285/247.1/165

Height: 5'7"

I have a question. I see people adding egg whites or other proteins. Is this done by direction of your Dr/coach? I ask because my Dr has not mentioned anything about this.

I had my initial consultation yesterday. The Dr was adamant about eating within 30 minutes of waking up, and then every 4 hrs. At my work we have a prescribed lunch time (meetings often run up to or start after lunch) and it's not really feasible to leave a meeting to make a shake, plus it detracts from savoring the meal itself. All of this would be a non-issue if I could eat my breakfast 1.5 hrs after I wake up (8am)!

The Dr said I could eat a snack, but he was reluctant, and he didn't say what that snack was.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 222/192/165

Height: 5'9"

Default DEcaf?

Quote:
Thanks!

And yes, the extra water is to counteract the diuretic effect of caffeine in coffee or caffeinated tea. You get a "free pass" on the first cup, but anything after that you need to drink the same amount of extra water for each cup.
What if it is decafe?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Your losses are going to be on the low end because of ALL of these things. Any time your body is inflamed or dealing with illness, you are likely going to retain water. Antibiotics also cause some water retention. Add some C issues to that, and the slightly lower losses (I say slightly because your average is 1.75lb per week - just below the 2-3lb per week that is normal on IP) make perfect sense.

Now that you're clear of the illness and medications, you should see things pick up a bit. No need to worry until you have TRULY hit a stall, no losses in pounds or inches over multiple weeks.
Just the reassurance I needed! Thank you!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #70  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl05 View Post
I have a question. I see people adding egg whites or other proteins. Is this done by direction of your Dr/coach? I ask because my Dr has not mentioned anything about this.

I had my initial consultation yesterday. The Dr was adamant about eating within 30 minutes of waking up, and then every 4 hrs. At my work we have a prescribed lunch time (meetings often run up to or start after lunch) and it's not really feasible to leave a meeting to make a shake, plus it detracts from savoring the meal itself. All of this would be a non-issue if I could eat my breakfast 1.5 hrs after I wake up (8am)!

The Dr said I could eat a snack, but he was reluctant, and he didn't say what that snack was.
2 egg whites meets the 0/0/0 rule at the bottom of your phase 1 sheet. Many people either use them to make the IP packets into other things (like the crispy cereal pancake) or as a little protein boost on hungry days.

Many people administer the IP diet using conventional dieting wisdom, but IP is a ketogenic diet, which is a different animal from other diets. WHEN you eat matters a whole lot less than making sure you eat what is on the protocol sheet - 3 packets, 8oz protein, 4 cups veggies, salt, oil and water every day. Break it up in whatever way works for your schedule.

I could not eat within 30 minutes of waking up because I was taking my synthroid (thyroid med) when I woke up and could not eat for at LEAST an hour afterward. I would have a big glass of water when I woke up, and have breakfast about 2 hrs later. I am in my last week of P3 so I'd say it worked fine for me

Quote:
What if it is decafe?
Decaf has no caffeine, so decaf coffee/tea and herbal teas can be counted in your water.

Last edited by scorbett1103; 03-01-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #71  
PCOS. Started IP 3/8/13

S/C/G: 285/247.1/165

Height: 5'7"

Thanks Scorbett! That's what I thought too. For the most part, I agree with frequent small meals but I don't think the occasional extra hour will make much of a difference.
Closed Thread