Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #16  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillaryJH View Post
I keep saying "not lettuce" because I know it is unlimited and I wanted to specific yes or no answer as to whether or not I could eat regular veggies.
Short version - if you want to be 100% on plan, no you can't have anything but lettuce outside of your 4 measured cups per day.

HOWEVER....remember there are other tools in your arsenal to combat hunger in the beginning:

-2 egg whites per day - in that amount they meet the 0/0/0 rule at the bottom of your sheet. Maybe make up a little omelet ahead of time and keep it handy in case you need it

-also, one Hard boiled egg can be used to combat difficult hunger. Also very easy to carry with you if you need it.

-hot drinks can be more filling than cold drinks - if you plan ahead to bring some herbal tea bags you should be able to track down some hot water wherever you are.

The biggest challenge in Phase 1 is PLANNING. I actually planned my entire week at once for the first few months. Sat down with my calendar, my packets and a bunch of ziploc bags. Set up every day of my packets in a separate bag so I could just grab & go. Planned every meal so I never felt "stuck" even on my busiest days. It made ALL the difference!

Good luck on your first week! If you can handle a bunch of high schoolers, this should be a cake walk
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #17  
Start IP 2/23/13

S/C/G: 187.6/141.5/130

Height: 5ft 2

I agree with everybody's comments. I just started on Saturday, and today has hit me hard! Nauseated, headache, and absolutely no energy. I purposely started on Saturday, so that I would hopefully be feeling better by the time I had to go back to work on Wednesday. I'm a nurse and work 12 hr shifts.

I'm confused about the lettuce, my coach said its only unlimited during meals, and that I can only eat veggies with meals, nothing in between to help you out, except water, or an extra packet if needed. This seemed crazy to me! At least the lettuce part. Any comments?
Trinkets75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Trinket - you are right sounds crazy. You may want to post this on tomorrow's daily thread as well. Youwill get lots of answers there. Lettuce should be fine whenever you need it. It is a freebie and you can use that. Many people spread out veggies and even protein to make it through the day. Sounds like your coach is making it harder than it needs to be.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #19  
Start IP 2/23/13

Ladylunk, thanks for the advice. I won't stress so much no about the fact that I had lettuce and jicama for snacks I haven't actually met her, I just called to set up my weigh in, and she was the one who answered the phone. I was having a rough day, so was asking some clarifying questions.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #20  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinkets75 View Post
I agree with everybody's comments. I just started on Saturday, and today has hit me hard! Nauseated, headache, and absolutely no energy. I purposely started on Saturday, so that I would hopefully be feeling better by the time I had to go back to work on Wednesday. I'm a nurse and work 12 hr shifts.

I'm confused about the lettuce, my coach said its only unlimited during meals, and that I can only eat veggies with meals, nothing in between to help you out, except water, or an extra packet if needed. This seemed crazy to me! At least the lettuce part. Any comments?
According to the sheet - lettuce is unlimited. Meaning, you can have as much of it as you want, whenever you want. Lettuce (Romaine, iceberg, butter lettuces) are pretty much just fiber and water and don't add much nutritionally to your diet.

Also, the eating plan on the Phase 1 sheet is a suggestion - helpful in scheduling things out so that you get your food in over the course of the day. But you can break things up however works best for you - as long as you get ALL your food in (3 packets, 8oz protein, 4 cups veggies) every day.

The program is restrictive enough on its own, coaches don't need to make it harder than it is!!!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 171.4/160.9/145

Height: 5"6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillaryJH View Post
So I just found out that I will be weighing in this Wednesday evening which means that I will start IP on Thursday. From countless others stories, I can expect the first three-four days to be a beast.

I am really nervous because I have work (at a High School) from 6:30am-2:30pm on Thursday and Friday. On Thursday I have graduate school from 4-6 without any opportunity to go home, and on Friday I have graduate school from 4-8, also without any opportunity to go home. Saturday is what I am most worried about: I have a graduate class from 7am-5pm! Yikes!

Since Thursday, Friday, and Saturday will be blech days, I am freaking out because of my packed schedule! I think that I am the most nervous about my hypoglycemia. I have dropped down into such low blood sugar before that I have passed out and I am afraid for that to happen again! I don't want to try the Alternative Protocol for at least a month to see if IP straightens out my pancreas.

I understand that I can have a fourth packet the first week, which I am sure I will do, but can I have more vegetables (not lettuce) in addition to my four cups?

Also, any words of wisdom? Was there anything that especially comforted you during your beast phase?
If you stick to this plan, at least you'll be busy and won't have a lot of time to think about how awful you feel LOL! Just kidding!
Bring extra packets, my coach said that you can have up to 5 packets a day during the first week. Don't forget to bring a big salad (with extra free lettuce) & your sea salt. I have never asked anyone, but my guess would be that you shouldn't have other extra veggies because of the carbs ~ might affect your ketosis???
I was tired during my first 3 days but was able to work no problem. My hubby is in his first week & the only problem he has had was a couple of headaches which were relieved with sea salt.
Good luck ~ keep us posted
lovetorun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

You have gotten lots of good advice here. I think it would be best to be able to sleep as much as you need during the first 3 days. I'm hypoglycemic too and its hereditary/genetic, didn't straighten out with IP as it does for some (many) folks. If you feel you must start anyway, here are some of my suggestions...eat all 5 packets to get through the first 3 days if you need. I found as a hypoglycemic, dividing my packets and nibbling on them throughout the day worked better than eating a whole packet at a time. I also find that eating more of my daily food allowance in the first half of the day helped me get through the last half better. Either eat your egg whites in the morning or make them as hard boiled and take them with you, you can have 2 for "free" on IP. I found the "real" protein from food helped my sugar/energy stay up better than packet protein. Don't underestimate lettuce, it IS food and helps, some days I ate 2 bags of it. Eat a restricted or higher carb packets. The one thing I learned from IP is my body prefers higher carbs, I lose better when eating a restricted packet each day and higher carb veggies like rutabaga Bring chewing gum, it helped me with the hungries. Don't forget your full amount of olive oil. Don't forget your sea salt, it helps with the headaches. Bring whatever OTC medicine you would normally take for headaches and take it if you still have a bad heachache after the salt. It helped me get through headache days. Eventually I did switch to the Alternative protocol, it felt much better for my body, but it's an individual journey so you might do better on the regular IP protocol. I am glad I started on it because I do feel it reset my metabolism (pancreas reset?) which is what I needed the most. Best of luck!

Last edited by Nolawhodatchick; 02-26-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Nolawhodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #23  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

I started on a Thursday and it wasn't that bad for me. The worst day was actually Sunday, and I was home then and just pushed through.
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #24  
Started IP 1/12/13

S/C/G: 267/ticker/167

Height: 5'5

Day two was worse for me..I think if I were in your shoes I would start on Sat. You'll be so busy that the day will fly..then sunday you can rest and deal with the headache..Mon might be tough but by Tuesday you'll be great!
jeffiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #25  

The first week you can use an extra pack if needed. I would use an oatmeal pack and make some mini muffins to take with you to snack on if you need something in between meals, they are very filling and you get quite a few
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #26  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I was fine for a week, other than a bit hungry, then had 2 days of extreme nausea - but I might have come down with something those days. I was tired,so going to be early helped avoid nighttime eating and gave me more rest.
Msbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #27  
Sleeved in Mexico

S/C/G: 250 /170.4 /140

Height: 5'5

I struggled through the first week. I got headaches, and got dizzy if I stood up too fast (I still do). After the first few days- It's ALL mental for me. I would crave things so much... but I had to tell myself that it's really my mind that wants it- not my body needing it.
breezie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #28  
Start IP 2/23/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
According to the sheet - lettuce is unlimited. Meaning, you can have as much of it as you want, whenever you want. Lettuce (Romaine, iceberg, butter lettuces) are pretty much just fiber and water and don't add much nutritionally to your diet.

Also, the eating plan on the Phase 1 sheet is a suggestion - helpful in scheduling things out so that you get your food in over the course of the day. But you can break things up however works best for you - as long as you get ALL your food in (3 packets, 8oz protein, 4 cups veggies) every day.

The program is restrictive enough on its own, coaches don't need to make it harder than it is!!!
Thanks for the info! It makes sense to me that lettuce should be whenever you need it, but they said the reason was to keep you from grazing through out the day. Whatever, if I need to graze to stay on plan then I will!