3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

An unconventional approach to maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
Member
 
DontGiveUp17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 62

S/C/G: 167/152/145

Height: 5'4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
What is the DASH diet?? Never heard of that one? And blueberries?? Tell me more.

And it's funny that no matter how many studies they do - it really does come down to calories/carbs. That ain't rocket science is it? Based on the research you have seen, what do you think of the IP protocol? I assume that since you are on the IP thread you must be OK with it?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain - even if you are IT I'm sure you see the work!
Exactly what Scorbett said.. The DASH diet is mostly used for lowering blood pressure. It always seems that as we get older, we seem to have some type of blood pressure problem and they prove that the DASH diet will help with that and is something to live by. However, since I have IR, i know I won't ever be able to eat the amount of carbs I used to.. otherwsie I will see the fat come back on. I will always have to be careful with carbs. That is why I believe the Ideal Protein diet is awesome. It is very strict, but when I tell people about it, I tell them that going through Phase 1 is very important for anybody. It helps teach you how to look at food differently and how to adjust your lifestyle and choices as you continue down the weightloss and maintenance journey. So many people tend to do a diet and then immediately stop.. and we all know that just doesn't work. We have to figure out how our body works and what makes it gain weight. And that is so different for so many people! I think Ideal Protein is a great diet, especially for me, since it's giving my pancreas a well needed break but also to teach people to read their bodies better! ANd I've said this before, i have had several Dr.'s recommend this diet or this type of diet to me before.. that info from them and the results I've seen so far on this diet is plenty enough for me to recommend this diet. Actually, several Dr's and Scientist here do this type of a diet to lose the weight they need.

As for the blueberry studies, they proved or have shown through their studies that blueberries do infact help prevent cancer cells from building and lowers your risk for cancer. It also helps with heart disease issues, especially of those who smoke. With regular consumption daily, it proved that there was less oxidative stress for smokers. THey also have seen that blueberries play a role in delaying the develoopment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as alzheimers. THey also have shown that by taking in blueberres or berry exracts, it can help GI problems like gastritis, and PUD or even stomach cancer. Always something interesting!!
__________________


There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. ~ Albert Einstein
DontGiveUp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Back for a tweak
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 348

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Default

Fascinating stuff - thanks!! Blueberries - who knew!!

My BP has always been on the low end of normal, so thankfully I don't have to worry about that and I am 50 now. I have the opposite problem - if I stand up too fast or do sudden moves I get dizzy.

The maintenance thing is something else. I've been on Weight Watchers, Nutri System, seen registered dieticians, etc. and like most of us probably know more about diet and nutrition than some of the experts, but even with IP I find maintenance is a tough one. Knowing it is one thing - practicing it is something else.

Thus my feast or famine approach to eating: 3 week feast and then one week famine (IP Phase 1).

I'm OK with that approach as long as it is not bad for my body and organs. I don't mean to say I'm stuffing burgers and fries in my face every day but if I feel like having a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner and maybe a piece of pie for dessert sometimes, I will. And movie popcorn and the occasional chocolate bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGiveUp17 View Post
Exactly what Scorbett said.. The DASH diet is mostly used for lowering blood pressure. It always seems that as we get older, we seem to have some type of blood pressure problem and they prove that the DASH diet will help with that and is something to live by. However, since I have IR, i know I won't ever be able to eat the amount of carbs I used to.. otherwsie I will see the fat come back on. I will always have to be careful with carbs. That is why I believe the Ideal Protein diet is awesome. It is very strict, but when I tell people about it, I tell them that going through Phase 1 is very important for anybody. It helps teach you how to look at food differently and how to adjust your lifestyle and choices as you continue down the weightloss and maintenance journey. So many people tend to do a diet and then immediately stop.. and we all know that just doesn't work. We have to figure out how our body works and what makes it gain weight. And that is so different for so many people! I think Ideal Protein is a great diet, especially for me, since it's giving my pancreas a well needed break but also to teach people to read their bodies better! ANd I've said this before, i have had several Dr.'s recommend this diet or this type of diet to me before.. that info from them and the results I've seen so far on this diet is plenty enough for me to recommend this diet. Actually, several Dr's and Scientist here do this type of a diet to lose the weight they need.

As for the blueberry studies, they proved or have shown through their studies that blueberries do infact help prevent cancer cells from building and lowers your risk for cancer. It also helps with heart disease issues, especially of those who smoke. With regular consumption daily, it proved that there was less oxidative stress for smokers. THey also have seen that blueberries play a role in delaying the develoopment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as alzheimers. THey also have shown that by taking in blueberres or berry exracts, it can help GI problems like gastritis, and PUD or even stomach cancer. Always something interesting!!

Last edited by slow2lose : 02-25-2013 at 02:46 PM.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Back for a tweak
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 348

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Default

Ooops - missed this earlier. Thanks John - always appreciate the input.

Well I think I will try this approach for a few more months and see where I end up.

Yes I have a tiny bit of a tummy but I just turned 50 and I don't hold any illusions of having the abs of an 18 year old swimsuit model. I lost a lot of fat from my tummy and overall I am pretty happy with my body esp. for a 50 year old LOL.

As well, the tummy is very genetic in my family. I have a niece who is tall and thin naturally and a size zero and even she has a little tummy. There is only so much fighting genetics.

Thanks again John!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
What you're talking about is actually practiced quite a bit in the body building community. It's called the Cyclic ketogenic diet - what you're doing isn't exactly the same but it is similar.

My personal opinion is that so long as your liver and kidneys are working well that you will have no problems physically going in and out of ketosis but in terms of study or research I am unaware of any that has been done. This type of diet would be a poor choice for anyone who is severely insulin resistant, but I don't think you are.

Based on how we evolved over hundreds of thousands of years it would make sense that we're extremely well adapted to periods of shortages when it comes to carbohydrates but the long term health consequences are unknown.

That said - you may find that over time this type of dieting causes results you're not happy with from a body composition perspective. If you have "problem areas" or places where you tend to accumulate fat quickly and lose slowly your method of dieting may end up with you being extremely lean except on your problem area.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
Member
 
DontGiveUp17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 62

S/C/G: 167/152/145

Height: 5'4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
Fascinating stuff - thanks!! Blueberries - who knew!!

My BP has always been on the low end of normal, so thankfully I don't have to worry about that and I am 50 now. I have the opposite problem - if I stand up too fast or do sudden moves I get dizzy.

The maintenance thing is something else. I've been on Weight Watchers, Nutri System, seen registered dieticians, etc. and like most of us probably know more about diet and nutrition than some of the experts, but even with IP I find maintenance is a tough one. Knowing it is one thing - practicing it is something else.

Thus my feast or famine approach to eating: 3 week feast and then one week famine (IP Phase 1).

I'm OK with that approach as long as it is not bad for my body and organs. I don't mean to say I'm stuffing burgers and fries in my face every day but if I feel like having a sandwich for lunch and pasta for dinner and maybe a piece of pie for dessert sometimes, I will. And movie popcorn and the occasional chocolate bar.
It looks like Ideal Protein has done it's job and taught you how to help you maintain. I think that is the most important part of these diets. If what your doing is working, then I say more power to you. I think it's awesome. I have a coworker who does the one reward meal a day diet. All meals, except for one, he eats no carbs and low fat. Then he has one meal, where he can eat what he wants but only within an hour time period. I'm sure there is a name for it, but it works for him and he has lost 15pounds in 5 weeks. Not too shabby for a meal that you can have a piece a cake or pie with!! ha! I can't wait till I can have my little carb treat again, but not until I lose what I need to lose. I do think it's important to treat yourself every now and then. And it's not like I ate horrible before, I actually ate pretty healthy, it's just the carbs that get me! I was just commenting to a friend about how knowledged we all become on all these diets but continue to learn new things everyday!! Good Luck to you!!
__________________


There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. ~ Albert Einstein
DontGiveUp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 388

S/C/G: 154/107.3/105

Height: 5'0"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontGiveUp17 View Post
It looks like Ideal Protein has done it's job and taught you how to help you maintain. I think that is the most important part of these diets. If what your doing is working, then I say more power to you. I think it's awesome. I have a coworker who does the one reward meal a day diet. All meals, except for one, he eats no carbs and low fat. Then he has one meal, where he can eat what he wants but only within an hour time period. I'm sure there is a name for it, but it works for him and he has lost 15pounds in 5 weeks. Not too shabby for a meal that you can have a piece a cake or pie with!! ha! I can't wait till I can have my little carb treat again, but not until I lose what I need to lose. I do think it's important to treat yourself every now and then. And it's not like I ate horrible before, I actually ate pretty healthy, it's just the carbs that get me! I was just commenting to a friend about how knowledged we all become on all these diets but continue to learn new things everyday!! Good Luck to you!!
Hi,

You are pretty and really smart, so I am sure you will do great in maintenance.
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #21
Member
 
DontGiveUp17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 62

S/C/G: 167/152/145

Height: 5'4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiChanel1 View Post
Hi,

You are pretty and really smart, so I am sure you will do great in maintenance.
THanks so much LexiChanel! You are too kind!
__________________


There are two ways to live your life - one is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is a miracle. ~ Albert Einstein
DontGiveUp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Rosy2802's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1

Default

Enjoying the chat here as a new IP dieter!
Rosy2802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I think I am fat because.... ubergirl 100 lb. Club 30 07-21-2010 11:46 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:52 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2