Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #1  
Started IP on 10/2/2012

S/C/G: 166.2/108/105

Height: 5'2.5"

Default EAS is hindering weight loss? Maybe plateauing? Getting really frustrated

Hi All,

A couple weeks ago, I switch my breakfast shake to EAS AdvantagEDGE Carb Control to save money. I don't know if my body is sensitive or if I'm just imagining things but I my weight loss has stalled.

My coach put me on boot camp last Friday and told me to stick with it for 7 days. I drink one EAS in the morning, one for lunch with my veggies, one for a snack and two for dinner plus veggies. These are the instructions given to me by my coach.

I feel so tired and drained from not eating red meat but at the same time, I am so frustrated with myself! I really thought I would plateau at a lower weight.

Help. Advice?
ALM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

You had one week without a loss. That is hardly a stall. I don't know how many calories are in one drink, but it seems to me you are taking in very little. You are relatively close to what is a very normal weight for your height. You should expect your weight loss to slow down a bit. I am not sure why there is this push to maximize weight loss by any means. You should be happy about what you lost so far. No need to be frustrated.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #3  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALM2000 View Post
Hi All,

A couple weeks ago, I switch my breakfast shake to EAS AdvantagEDGE Carb Control to save money. I don't know if my body is sensitive or if I'm just imagining things but I my weight loss has stalled.

My coach put me on boot camp last Friday and told me to stick with it for 7 days. I drink one EAS in the morning, one for lunch with my veggies, one for a snack and two for dinner plus veggies. These are the instructions given to me by my coach.

I feel so tired and drained from not eating red meat but at the same time, I am so frustrated with myself! I really thought I would plateau at a lower weight.

Help. Advice?
I would seriously worry you are in starvation mode. If you're ONLY getting the EAS drink as your protein, with no added meats, along with only veggies, you may be doing yourself more harm than good.

I fell into starvation mode and was eating more than you are. And if you are tired and weak feeling, that's not just missing red meat, it's missing enough food to get you through the day!

I agree with the other poster, why are you doing this to yourself? You're close to your goal, and as you near your target weight, you weight loss will slow. One week with no weight loss is NOT a big deal.

My suggestion, get back on plan and stick with it, as it should be, without trying to starve yourself. You will not lose weight if your body things it's dying from starvation. It will hoard any excess it has so that you don't die.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #4  
Started IP on 10/2/2012

Thanks for your replies. My coach put me on boot camp because he said I was stalling. I didn't ask to change anything; he initiated it. I didn't know what boot camp was until he mentioned it.

Should I eat some eggs?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #5  

A plateau or stall would be at LEAST a month of no change that = no scale change, no measurement change, no body fat change

Just because the scale didn't change doesn't mean the plan isn't working. Did measurements change? Did body fat decrease?

Additionally, a week or two is too soon to determine if there is a problem.

You blamed the EAS but coach has you using them in bootcamp. It's not the EAS. Weight loss can slow for many reasons. We don't have as much to lose so the body isn't releasing as much water (lots of water with each lb of fat!). Bodies must occasionally adjust to smaller sizes, not needing as much skin, blood vessels, other supporting tissue , which must be slugged off.

Do your math. What is your avg weekly loss? Coaches get antsy too but they really need to understand weight loss better- and ALL of the factors that affect weight loss that we've discussed here at length.

leannekarella: FYI - bootcamp replaces the daily 8 oz meat portion with 2 additional packets. It is a technique IP uses if losses stall. Many folks here have found ADDING some fat works better!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I am with Lisa 100% on this. You really only had ONE WEEK of no loss. And if you look at your trends through each week, you have had other weeks of very low losses. You are NOT STALLED. Are you also tracking inches? Did your measurements change between the weeks?

It is definitely not the EAS shakes. Your coach is jumping the gun big time. Go back to regular phase 1, maybe make sure that you are incorporating at least one meal a week with red meat (steak) which is a little higher in fat. As Lisa said, many people have found that eating only very lean meat (chicken and fish) is what caused the slowdown. Also, are you possibly constipated? Having some Smooth Move tea (1 or 2 days of 1 cup per day) should clear that up and show up on the scale.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #7  

ALM2000 eat more! You are not getting enough food in a day and until you do your body will be hurt and you are seeing signs of it already by being tired and weak.
I stalled for 3 weeks...it is VERY frustrating but I trusted the program. I started losing again with small losses then the past 2 weeks my losses have been off the chart -4.2 EACH week 2 weeks. I expect a big slow down for the next few weeks but I am ok with that. My coach, WUV, told me to add something before I took something away and wow, it worked really well.
EAS is not the problem I guarantee you. I use alternative products and haven't seen any change in losses
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #8  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Agree with all the above. Go back to regular P1 before things get worse for you. I have done bootcamp, but I had been stalled for about 3 weeks when I did it. Really wish they would require better training for coaches...
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #9  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
leannekarella: FYI - bootcamp replaces the daily 8 oz meat portion with 2 additional packets. It is a technique IP uses if losses stall. Many folks here have found ADDING some fat works better!
Lisa, that's what happened to me. I was totally OP but forgot to add my 2 tsp of oil into my salads for 3 days...just too busy to think... and I got to feeling HORRIBLE. When I realized what was going on, I went up a bit on the fat (over what is suggested) and feel SO MUCH BETTER. I add a little extra (usually a higher fat content meat) every few days. Weight loss is doing really well since then, and I have so much more energy.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #10  
Started IP 01/01/13

S/C/G: H-247/S-187.2/ C-137.2/G-125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Hi All,

Help. Advice?
I agree with all the opinions and advice you've gotten, but to specifically address the EAS shakes question, I've only been doing an IP plan for 6 weeks, but EASAdvantageEDGE are my primary "packet" as I don't go to a clinic and haven't bought any official IP packets. I use them 2 or 3 times a day (twice a week, I do an IP comparable "restricted" bar) and follow the other guidelines on the sheet, and I haven't lost less than 2.2 pounds (yet) in a week. So put your mind at ease that if you want to supplement with EAS shakes, they're definitely not a reason to stall your weight loss.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #11  
Started IP on 10/2/2012

Thank you all for your invaluable advice. You are all right. Btw, my waist size went up but I found out today it was because of my TOM.

I will ignore the coach and continue on as I always have and keep in mind the one month measurement for plateauing.

I did eat my IP packets and veggies. Wow, was it ever so good!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Good for you! You will see results but not as quickly as at first as you body is now in a helathy weight range for your height.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #13  
Started IP on 10/2/2012

Hi everyone, Thanks for your all advice. I went to WI today (skipped last week as I was out of town) and found that I lost a little over 7 lbs in two weeks.

The good thing is I gained muscle and lost fat. (Confirmed with my MD, too)

I realize that my weight be "ideal" for my height but I am looking more at the fat/muscle ratio. I am still at 30% fat and want to get it down to about 25% before I phase off and start exercising.

Just thought I'd share. I guess everyone's body is unique and our experiences will differ because of it.

P.S. I also started taking probiotic for digestion and chlorophyll for my keto-breath. Now I am totally "regular" and people don't rush out of the room when I speak.

Last edited by ALM2000; 02-22-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
I am still at 30% fat and want to get it down to about 25% before I phase off and start exercising.
How do you know you're at 30% fat? let me guess - the bioimpedance device your clinic uses? That device is almost completely useless. Tomorrow it could say 32% and next Monday it could say 27%.

You can do what you please but one of the big challenges is when you're not exercising and following such a restrictive diet for long periods is that at a certain point your body composition doesn't improve at all. What I mean is that your bodies energy needs will be met, one way or another. If you're not using your muscles your body will start to catabolize them.

The lower ones body fat the more likely the body is to use muscle for energy needs.

What worked great when you were 180lbs won't work nearly as good at 120lbs.

What might be worth considering is phasing off - working out for a couple months while working on maintaining your weight and then deciding what your goals are.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #15  
Started IP on 10/2/2012

Thanks JohnP. The clinic always uses that current thingy which I know is questionable but I also see my MD/OB who monitors my progress along the way to ensure that I am healthy on the inside. My MD measures the usual stuff through a blood test and did a skin fold caliper test.

Re: muscle, I went to this place that offered the DEXA test. A little pricey but it's a scan that measures fat, muscle and bone density.

Last edited by ALM2000; 02-22-2013 at 09:04 PM.