Old 05-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #1  

Default Week 3 Ideal Protein Fatigue:(

Hi everyone...been a lurker for awhile, and then decided its time(actually well overdue) to do something about my weight. Stared IP almost 2 weeks ago. Lost 7lbs 1st WI, AND 4 2nd. Not having any issues with the food, and I'm not hungry at all....BUT, I am extremely fatigued and feel like I have no strength or energy at all. Any suggestions would be great! I expected this the first week, but at almost week 3 I was hoping for some improvement, but it's just gotten worse.
Trishott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252 / 252 / 135

Height: 5'5"

I had this pretty bad in weeks 2 and 3. I'm in week 4 and it's getting better. Hopefully, it will go away completely! (I've read that it does)

Good luck!
fiannalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Are you getting your salt and potassium? I am almost 4 months in and if I am not cognizant about my salt / potassium supplement I start feeling really tired / grumpy / irritable.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209.5/196.9/150

Height: 5'3"

I have to say I'm incredibly tired as well. I haven't been very good about making sure I get my supplements so I've gotten a pill caddy to make sure I take them all.
Because I've spent my life trying to cut down/out salt I'm finding it really hard to add salt to things as well. It's off to the Dollar Store for me today to see if I can find a small salt shaker to measure my daily salt requirement into.
Bagchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

I was outside in 90 degree heat all day Saturday. I will again reiterate the importance of salt / potassium & replenishing electrolytes when on IP protocol.
So I did ok most of the day, and then suddenly about 8pm Saturday evening, felt extremely "wonky". It wasn't hydration as I drank at least 20 oz of water per hour and continued to pee. Then I realized I really hadn't had much salt. I went and got a plain burger & covered it in mustard and sea salt (after licking a 1/4 tsp or a little more out of my hand). Within 10 minutes I felt AMAZING again.
I've honestly started wondering how many people quit IP who just need more salt / potassium...

Last edited by hysteria_625; 05-18-2015 at 12:51 PM.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #6  

Trishott1

The fatigue is part of the sugar/carb withdrawal process. If you aren't feeling better in another week or two, then it would be time to investigate further.

Be sure you're getting all of your supplements, as well as oil, water, salt.

Bagchick: The salt is essential on a low carb plan.
Low carb diets are dehydrating

Here is something I found to explain it:
"One of the main mechanisms behind low-carb diets is a reduction in insulin levels (3, 4).
Insulin has many functions in the body, such as telling fat cells to store fat.
But another thing that insulin does is to tell the kidneys to hold on to sodium (5).
On a low-carb diet, your insulin levels go down and your body starts shedding excess sodium and water along with it. This is why people often get rid of excess bloat within a few days of low-carb eating.
However, sodium is a crucial electrolyte in the body and this can become problematic when the kidneys dump too much of it.
This is one of the main reasons people get side effects on low-carb diets… such as lightheadedness, fatigue, headaches and even constipation.
The best way to circumvent this issue is to add more sodium to your diet. You can do this by adding more salt to your foods, but if that doesn’t suffice then you can drink a cup of broth every day.
I personally like adding a bouillon cube into a cup of hot water, then drinking it like a soup in a cup. It actually tastes really good and supplies 2 grams of sodium."

Last edited by lisa32989; 05-18-2015 at 01:03 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/186/130

Height: 5' 1"

I felt tired the first week but none after that. Also if I feel as if a headache is coming it triggers me to make sure I get my salt and potassium in.
Hosegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #8  
Creating my future today

S/C/G: 183/179/135

Height: 5'5.5"

What others have said. And I can tell if I skip my potassium for more than a few days I'll start getting leg cramps.
Tigridia is offline   Reply With Quote