Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #61  

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinvt View Post
Scorbett, I love your posts. Is there anything you don't know about this program? I can't seem to find anything on here about MiO - the drink flavoring. What's your opinion. I'm serious about being 100% and don't want little things undermining my success.
Scorbett spent a LOT of time researching and shared with all of us. Different opinions on Mio. Some coaches are a-okay, others are a big NO. Scorbett counted it as one of her 6 allowable 0/0/0 per day, knowing nutritional labels allow it to say 0, if there are fewer than 1 carb/serving

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Scorbett -- So, along the lines of the spinach concept, do I need to watch or limit my vinegar intake? I like to put apple cider vinegar on my raw veggies, so I don't use as much salt . . . Thanks.
I actually did a lot of reading about vinegar. Strange, even tho it is acidic, it helps boost the alkaline levels in the body (at least the ACV does)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
So, this morning was the first time I've seen my family doc since starting IP.

I'm diabetic, with a hole in my heart, have water retention issues (because of the hole) and have PCOS.

She's thrilled with the weight loss, but I gave her a copy of a couple of days of my MFP logs, and she's VERY concerned about the sodium intake. And I'm only eating the lower sodium foods as it is and NEVER add the extra salt as we're supposed to...but I average around 2000mg a day. Before starting IP I had less than 500 a day.

She also said that because of the diabetes, I must have more fiber in my diet. Eat more veggies. I told her about the 4 cup limit plus lettuce, and she shook her head and said I should be having at least 30mg of fiber a day...and not listen to that part of the diet. I looked back at MFP logs, and usually it's between 14-17, nowhere near 30!

I'm a little torn here, as to who to listen to. I might up my veggies by a cup or two at most and see what happens to the weight loss. In 2 months, I've averaged 2.87lb/week. I really don't want that to slow. Not yet! Still too far to go. I already eat a huge lettuce salad at least once a day, and make "salad" soup with romaine.

On the great UPSIDE, my A1C is better than it has EVER been since my diabetes diagnosis 8 years ago. I'm actually in the "normal" range.

As of this morning, I'm officially lighter than I've been in a decade
I'm with bubbleblower. MDs get very little (like a few HOURS) of nutritional training. If your #s are getting better, then you know the program is working. There are actually varying opinions re: fiber. Some, more "conventional" thought folks will tell you that you need LOTS. Others (more natural or functional-medicine oriented) may tell you not as much is needed, esp if you aren't eating grains. Fiber can be gotten from psyllium husks if its THAT important...(it really doesn't help with C, however & can sometimes make it WORSE!)

If the sodium intake is increasing blood pressure, then switching to alternatives such as just whey protein could be a solution. I have some that are lower sodium than the IP packets. Does your doc realize that ketognic diets are also very diuretic so the sodium may not be as big of a deal? I realize your doc sounds like a good one (better than the avg MD) but they still can't know EVERYTHING and have definitely formed opinions, mostly having to do with the food pyramid, so when we go outside the norm, they don't always "get it"
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #62  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loseitfast View Post
Hello there all,
This is my first time posting here and I'm not sure how it all works... I have been lurking around for a long time though reading posts and learning things! I have been on IP since Sept 22, 2012 and as of today I have lost 62 lbs! I have come to the realization today though that its time to hide my scale since I have been weighing myself multiple times during the day for the past month which I have to say is not encouraging. Everyone here seems to be pretty much amazing and I have learned a lot reading through. I still have a ways to go on my goal being that I'm short but I am excited for the rest of my IP journey and I'm ready to quit worrying about the weight, enjoy the IP food, and just LIVE!
I love the last line of your post . . I'm glad you started posting . . . you've already inspired me! And congrats on your 62#! That number might have gotten lost in the shuffle with all your mini-WIs, but it is pretty major. Well done. (PS I share your short-girl challenges . . . not much room to hide anything when you're our height, is there?! )
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #63  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

I just got back from my doctors office. I have been on blood pressure meds for several years now. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my bp was dropping and I was feeling very faint. So I stopped taking them. Went to the doctor today and happy to report I don't need them any more!! I will go back in a month to check it out again but at the moment I'm doing my happy dance!!! She was quite impressed with my weight loss and actually said that for my height the weight I'm at now is acceptable.....not quite acceptable to me but it was great to hear. I couldn't stop smiling when I walked out of there.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #64  
Started IP 2/13/13

Bubbleblower -- Thanks for the explanation about salt on this plan. I guess I am still in possession of some of the traditional thoughts on things . . . leftovers from other diets. I hadn't realized it was a whole new ballgame on IP. I do really, really like salt, though, and am trying to help recalibrate my tastebuds a bit, too. How was your dive today?? My mind's eyes is still enjoying your photos from the other day.

Lisa -- Well, that is good news about the AC vinegar. I love the stuff . . . even used to put a tad in my drinking water . . . some people think that makes me a downright weirdo! I guess I can still do that then? Great. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #65  
Started IP 2/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekyskeeter View Post
I just got back from my doctors office. I have been on blood pressure meds for several years now. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my bp was dropping and I was feeling very faint. So I stopped taking them. Went to the doctor today and happy to report I don't need them any more!! I will go back in a month to check it out again but at the moment I'm doing my happy dance!!! She was quite impressed with my weight loss and actually said that for my height the weight I'm at now is acceptable.....not quite acceptable to me but it was great to hear. I couldn't stop smiling when I walked out of there.
Oh, congratulations! What wonderful news for you! And no more BP meds . . . so great!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #66  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
So, this morning was the first time I've seen my family doc since starting IP.

I'm diabetic, with a hole in my heart, have water retention issues (because of the hole) and have PCOS.

She's thrilled with the weight loss, but I gave her a copy of a couple of days of my MFP logs, and she's VERY concerned about the sodium intake. And I'm only eating the lower sodium foods as it is and NEVER add the extra salt as we're supposed to...but I average around 2000mg a day. Before starting IP I had less than 500 a day.

She also said that because of the diabetes, I must have more fiber in my diet. Eat more veggies. I told her about the 4 cup limit plus lettuce, and she shook her head and said I should be having at least 30mg of fiber a day...and not listen to that part of the diet. I looked back at MFP logs, and usually it's between 14-17, nowhere near 30!

I'm a little torn here, as to who to listen to. I might up my veggies by a cup or two at most and see what happens to the weight loss. In 2 months, I've averaged 2.87lb/week. I really don't want that to slow. Not yet! Still too far to go. I already eat a huge lettuce salad at least once a day, and make "salad" soup with romaine.

On the great UPSIDE, my A1C is better than it has EVER been since my diabetes diagnosis 8 years ago. I'm actually in the "normal" range.

As of this morning, I'm officially lighter than I've been in a decade
As to the fibre, could you use something like this product 'Organic Clear Fibre' - http://www.renewlife.com/organic-clear-fiber.html. We have a family history of colon cancer, and I was concerned about the low fibre level of this protocol. I've been using this product and I often put a 1/2 dose in my soups, puddings, etc when I shake/blend them to increase my fibre intake. It doesn't affect your daily carb level, as the carb and fibre content 'net out'. But you get the benefit of the fibre.

Last edited by evepet; 02-20-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #67  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Sorry so late on replying, it ended up being a bit crazy this afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinvt View Post
Scorbett, I love your posts. Is there anything you don't know about this program? I can't seem to find anything on here about MiO - the drink flavoring. What's your opinion. I'm serious about being 100% and don't want little things undermining my success.
Mio is sweetened with sucralose (splenda) and is fine to use - but as with ANY extra, use in moderation. Like Lisa said, I limit my "extras to 6 per day because even those things that are 0 carbs usually have SOME trace amount of carb - which can add up if you use them too liberally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Scorbett -- So, along the lines of the spinach concept, do I need to watch or limit my vinegar intake? I like to put apple cider vinegar on my raw veggies, so I don't use as much salt . . . Thanks.
Don't confuse acidic food with acid-forming food (stuff that throws our digestive pH balance into the acid range when it mixes with our stomach juices). ACV is fine to use as a condiment - vinegar actually has an alkalizing effect in the digestive tract.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

Have to share! Just had the WLS cheesecake pudding for a snack, and I have to say, amazingly delicious!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittStar027 View Post
Have to share! Just had the WLS cheesecake pudding for a snack, and I have to say, amazingly delicious!
Definitely! Try drizzling with WF strawberry syrup
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #70  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Yes it is! I have sprinkled a little cinnamon on it, or had it with a little WF strawberry spread...deelish!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #71  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
LOL...I also had that for the first time tonight. It was really, really good!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 279/223.5/150

Height: 5.5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekyskeeter View Post
That's fantastic news, getting off bp pills is a huge accomplishment! Well done.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 279/223.5/150

Height: 5.5'

I've just had my first WI and I'm thrilled to be down 10 lbs
I've set my first mini goal of 10% by WI#4
Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

I can't believe how good it is! I couldn't stand the IP puddings, so I was really tentative to try any others. Now I'm kicking myself for waiting! Thank goodness for 3FC, I would have never known about all of my alternative options. It's making such a huge difference for me (staying OP) this time around.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 192/148/150

Height: 5 3"

Quote:
I have Rainbow to thank for my addiction to WLS cheesecake pudding!
I never would have tried it if not for her cheesecake bites recipe! Now I have it at least 4x a week!
Closed Thread