Can't Sleep

• I am in the middle of week 1, just completed day 4 to be exact. This is the second night in a row that I find myself restless and unable to sleep, despite being quite tired. My heartbeat is a bit faster and more conspicuous, though I would not say it is racing -- just not in "sleep mode."

Is this a week 1/adjustment thing? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
  • PS My nighttime snack tonight was a Pure Protein choc/pb bar. This is the first time I've had one of these at night (and second time having it period). Maybe this did it?
  • I am approaching week 5 but I remember having trouble sleeping my first week. I think it's because my mind was on food. And when I did sleep I would dream of food. Lol. But for past few weeks I have been sleeping great. Hang in there
  • Quote: I am in the middle of week 1, just completed day 4 to be exact. This is the second night in a row that I find myself restless and unable to sleep, despite being quite tired. My heartbeat is a bit faster and more conspicuous, though I would not say it is racing -- just not in "sleep mode."

Is this a week 1/adjustment thing? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
    Sleep disturbances occurred for me off & on the first month. Other symptoms included night sweats. It takes the body a bit to acclimate to ketosis...burning fat instead if sugar is literally a whole new sensation.

Hang in there! The right things are happening
  • I also had trouble sleeping the first week. One of the things I did was make sure to take the 2nd multi-vitamin earlier in the afternoon (we usually don't eat dinner until 7:30 or 8:00pm). Lots of B vitamins in it that can wire you.
  • When I did IP the first time, I had insomnia the whole time I was on it. My coach also said that she was less tired and just ended up getting up earlier. This time around (after many restarts) I haven't had any issues with sleep. I found before I was just so stressed about my weight and constantly thinking about food. My coach at the time recommended some melatonin. It may help.
  • I had it the first 3 weeks... I seem to be over it now (week 7). I use Tylenol Simply Sleep when it got REALLY bad and I wasn't functioning during the days because I was too tired.
  • Try magnesium if your plan allows, it calms me and helps me sleep. I had get lower dose ones because I was even taking naps.
  • Melatonin is a natural supplement you can try too.
  • I tried melatonin too but it made me to tired all day long even in small doses. I was going to add my health nut cousin insists I try rubios tea. Think that's what it is called.
  • I've found that for me, a powdered magnesium works well. Mix in a small amount of boiling water. Then add cold water or any drink. Only takes a teaspoon for me. I use a brand called Calm. It's very cheap and sold in the Vitamin Shop ,GNC, Whole Foods. I hope your insomnia gets better. No fun not sleeping, especially 2 nights in a row.
  • I tend to have a difficult time falling asleep on IP, but once I fall asleep, I tend to sleep longer and deeper than off IP. I usually drink calming herbal tea (chamomile, spearmint, peppermint, white chai, etc) a little before bed, and it helps me fall asleep.
  • sleep
    My sleep is all messed up because I get up 3 times a night to use the bathroom! I know my body is adjusting to all this water, but how long does it take to acclimate? Hopefully not too much longer!
  • Thanks for all the help. I did sleep better the night after this post. If it becomes a cyclical thing (which I dread it might), I will definitely try these suggestions.

P.S. Part of it, I think, was having read all the hair loss threads. I have to say, that one side effect really scares me. I guess I'll have to cross the bridge when I come to it. Thanks again.
  • Me too. Horrified. Some people are adding Biotin proactively, before the loss starts. I'm going to do a little research. . .