Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

I was talking to my friends today about IP. It was a nice conversation. I was telling them how the food is an aquired taste but now I love my choco drink (I like the packet) and salt & vinegar crisps. One of my friends told me her nutritionist did not approve of IP. I asked why but she had no definite answer except that people get sick. I said that IP is great for people who have control issues because if you can get a handle on this, it's a gateway to learning how to stay in control over our issue, food.
We did agree that at the end of the day whatever nutritional plan we chose to follow, it has to work for us.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 250/241/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
Welcome to IP. If you are already following Atkins, then the transition to IP should be fairly painless. You'll do great, and I don't think your coworkers will be making fun of you anymore.
No, I wish I had stayed on atkins but when I say I fell off the wagon, I mean I fell off, rolled down the hill and into the river, and went down stream. I barely made it out before I went over the water fall lol. I actually put everything back on that I lost, but then I sort of made up for lost time so I was expecting it!

But no more! It might sound strange but I think I'll feel a lot safer with more structure and less options. Less opportunity for "creative temptation"
Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #48  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
I said that IP is great for people who have control issues because if you can get a handle on this, it's a gateway to learning how to stay in control over our issue, food.
We did agree that at the end of the day whatever nutritional plan we chose to follow, it has to work for us.
This exactly! Congrats on your 40 pound loss!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #49  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
I already have gall stones, that were brought on from rapid weight loss in the past in an unhealthy manner. We take the Cal/Mag supplements to help us prevent them on IP. Yes, it's true that it contains the minerals that can bind together and cause kidney stones, I have never had an issue.

From Livestrong.com: Gallbladder disease is a condition that affects 10 percent to 25 percent of adults in the United States, according to a June 2004 article published in the "American Journal of Epidemiology." An estimated 75 percent to 80 percent of gallstones in the United States are cholesterol stones. Although the exact mechanism is unclear, magnesium intake can prevent an increase of your triglyceride levels and the decrease of your high-density lipoprotein levels, thus lowering your risk of developing gallstones, says an August 2007 article in the "American Journal of Gastroenterology." Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...#ixzz2L5wiQMvj

From Livestrong.com: Lauded for its crisp texture and nutritional abundance, raw spinach is a superstar among vegetables, containing compounds that may reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. Despite its health perks, spinach also contains a type of antinutrient that can bind to minerals and potentially cause kidney stones. Although raw spinach won't usually cause any type of kidney damage, you may need to be careful with this vegetable if you have existing kidney disease or a history of kidney stones. Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...#ixzz2L5w3XKj8

I would guess that eating enough spinach to cause stones of any kind would take a LOT of spinach. I eat about 2-3 cups a day measured raw... Sometimes it's a salad, sometimes I cook it. And not EVERYday...maybe 4 times a week.

Also, I do not eat restricted IP foods, because the carbs in them are sugar, not fiber, and unhealthy for my diabetic body. I make up for those missing carbs by eating more veggies. I stay within the acceptable carb count, and in fact even with more veggies, get less net carbs a day than I would if I had, say, a Caramel Crunch Bar.
Thanks for the great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
I was talking to my friends today about IP. It was a nice conversation. I was telling them how the food is an aquired taste but now I love my choco drink (I like the packet) and salt & vinegar crisps. One of my friends told me her nutritionist did not approve of IP. I asked why but she had no definite answer except that people get sick. I said that IP is great for people who have control issues because if you can get a handle on this, it's a gateway to learning how to stay in control over our issue, food.
I'm guessing that nutritionist doesn't know much about IP, and has made some assumptions. I felt very comfortable with doing IP because my physician approves of it, and the coach worked out of my physicians office.

I'm one of the people who has control issues with food and IP has given me back control. The thought of maintenance scares me a little because I'm afraid of losing control again. I know bad carbs and sugar are going to be something I need to stay away from in maintenance if I want to stay in control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramommynine View Post
No, I wish I had stayed on atkins but when I say I fell off the wagon, I mean I fell off, rolled down the hill and into the river, and went down stream. I barely made it out before I went over the water fall lol. I actually put everything back on that I lost, but then I sort of made up for lost time so I was expecting it!

But no more! It might sound strange but I think I'll feel a lot safer with more structure and less options. Less opportunity for "creative temptation"
Ouch! That was a big fall. You're not alone in falling off the diet and gaining it back. The good thing is you have had that experience and you don't want to repeat it.

Temptation will still be there, but the weight comes off so quickly it keeps you motivated.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #50  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
I already have gall stones, that were brought on from rapid weight loss in the past in an unhealthy manner. We take the Cal/Mag supplements to help us prevent them on IP. Yes, it's true that it contains the minerals that can bind together and cause kidney stones, I have never had an issue.

From Livestrong.com: Gallbladder disease is a condition that affects 10 percent to 25 percent of adults in the United States, according to a June 2004 article published in the "American Journal of Epidemiology." An estimated 75 percent to 80 percent of gallstones in the United States are cholesterol stones. Although the exact mechanism is unclear, magnesium intake can prevent an increase of your triglyceride levels and the decrease of your high-density lipoprotein levels, thus lowering your risk of developing gallstones, says an August 2007 article in the "American Journal of Gastroenterology." Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47...#ixzz2L5wiQMvj

From Livestrong.com: Lauded for its crisp texture and nutritional abundance, raw spinach is a superstar among vegetables, containing compounds that may reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. Despite its health perks, spinach also contains a type of antinutrient that can bind to minerals and potentially cause kidney stones. Although raw spinach won't usually cause any type of kidney damage, you may need to be careful with this vegetable if you have existing kidney disease or a history of kidney stones. Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...#ixzz2L5w3XKj8
Thanks for the great info!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekyskeeter View Post
I'm not much of a cook but since I've discovered that my system can't seem to handle raw veggies any more I'm forced to find recipes that I can handle. My DH does all the cooking in our house but he's a police officer so works shift work. Today for lunch I just tried (and conquered I might add) a fried 'rice' using cauliflower. It was absolutely fabulous!!! I added 1oz of fat free ham to it (my coach suggested adding part of my protein at lunch). I only made enough to get my two cups of veggies in for lunch but now wish I made more for leftovers. I'm definitely trying this one again!
I have become obsessed with roasting veggies. I've always loved vegetables but now I have to stop myself from eating more than 4 cups per day.

I line a cookie sheet with non-stick aluminum foil, put the veggies on the tray, (literally any will work...cauliflower, asparagus, okra, turnips, rutabaga, celeriac, cabbage, zucchini, etc.) mist with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper and roast at 350* for 20-25 minutes until they start to brown.

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 02-16-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #52  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
I have become obsessed with roasting veggies. I've always loved vegetables but now I have to stop myself from eating more than 4 cups per day.

I line a cookie sheet with non-stick aluminum foil, put the veggies on the tray, (literally any will work...cauliflower, asparagus, okra, turnips, rutabaga, celeriac, cabbage, zucchini, etc.) mist with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper and roast at 350* for 20-25 minutes until they start to brown.
Yummy roasted veggies
Old 02-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #53  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Mushrooms have become our favorite. I use the cayenne on everything but them, just EVOO and SeaSalt and they're perfect.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramommynine View Post

Thank you for the congrats!! I absolutely love your description of falling off the wagon. Best of luck with IP. It is hard at 1st but definitely becomes a way of life after awhile. There's a lot of great info here so welcome!!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 133/117/112

Height: 5' 2''

Hi guys--Quick question--About to head out to Outback. Plan on having an 8oz steak. Which cut of steak do you recommend? I have lost my little paper my coach gave me!?! Thanks. Doing pretty good so far. Week 6, 16 lbs gone. Trying not to mess up at dinner!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky1978 View Post
Hi guys--Quick question--About to head out to Outback. Plan on having an 8oz steak. Which cut of steak do you recommend? I have lost my little paper my coach gave me!?! Thanks. Doing pretty good so far. Week 6, 16 lbs gone. Trying not to mess up at dinner!
Sirloin, Round or Tenderloin. Make sure you ask them to "dry-grill" it so they don't put a clump of butter on at the end!

Outback is fantastic at handling diet requests. You can also ask for plain, steam broccoli there.

Have fun!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I'm so sorry Monica-- but when you said "what's more romantic than a Brazilian steakhouse" all I could think was "Well your hubby might think a brazilian WAX a bit more romantic..." I should probably keep the thought in my own head but .... I'm feelin' a little today
we will just stick with the steakhouse for now as its winter here and that would be way to chilly
Old 02-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #58  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

I'm eating rutabaga fries right now and they are DELICIOUS! Thanks for introducing me to them.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #59  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky1978 View Post
Every sheet your coach gave/will give/ has not heard of yet are posted up on the "stickies" so you can print of another if you need it. I find I usually have info from this site way before my coach does. This site is definitely "in the loop"
Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #60  

Quote:
Sirloin, Round or Tenderloin. Make sure you ask them to "dry-grill" it so they don't put a clump of butter on at the end!

Outback is fantastic at handling diet requests. You can also ask for plain, steam broccoli there.

Have fun!
I had no idea they did that at restaurants! No wonder they always taste so nice lol.

Glad to say I made it through my first work shift on plan and haven't even felt too hungry. At one point I had a little tummy ache but I think it wasn't really hunger. Maybe I was full lol, who knows. I'm definitely looking forward to dinner tonight when I get home! I just have to make it through a birthday get together for my grandpa first.
Closed Thread