3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Maintainers with PCOS (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/275811-maintainers-pcos.html)

rubygirl05 02-15-2013 10:52 PM

Maintainers with PCOS

Hello, I'm new to 3FC and on the verge of joining/starting the IR protocol.

I have read the various pinned FAQ threads, which are helpful but also kind of overwhelming.

I have had PCOS for 10+ years and am considering the IR protocol as a last resort. I have never been able to lose weight despite eating properly and exercising. I hate to go down this expensive path and have it all be for nothing.

My questions are:
  • Have you been able to successfully maintain your weight loss, depsite having PCOS?
  • Did your PCOS symptoms go away or lessen after losing weight?

Thanks!

meena 02-17-2013 10:19 PM

Ruby Girl,
I have PCOS too. What I understand from this diet is that it resets your system completely - once you're done, you'll no longer have PCOS.
I started 6 weeks ago, lost 22 lbs, but I think my system has already regularized. I am off Metformin, and feeling great.

IP43 02-17-2013 10:48 PM

Really? I'll be curious and excited if that is so, but I really doubt it. PCOS is a hormonal issue, and while the diet helps, I can't imagine that it will cure my PCOS. If I'm wrong, it will be with great joy! I've never heard it will cure it. I've heard it HELPS with symptoms, but would love to believe otherwise. Where did you hear it will cure PCOS?

Ilovesugar 02-18-2013 04:13 AM

Hello- I too have PCOS! Here's what I can't tell you from my experience... Last year I dis 4 IVF cycles. All but 1 was negative. The cycle that finally worked was the one I did after being on IP for a month. Although I miscarried I still got pregnant, something that I've been trying to do for 5+ years. Out of 14 fertility cycles failing, I believe IP played a part in helping me get pregnant. Since the miscarriage in December I've ovulated twice on my own, once in January and once this month. I've never in my life ovulated on my own. I'm 100% convinced this diet plan is made for women with PCOS. In my past I've tried working out, weight watchers, counting calories, etc.. Iit wasn't until I found IP that I was actually able to lose weight. I average about 3lbs a week which is unheard of for my body. I can't say enough positive things about it- I highly recommend! Also, my cravings are completely gone (shocking), my blood sugars are stabilized and my labs look amazing. I'm not sure that you can get rid of PCOS but I do know you can kick the symptoms. Best of luck!

meena 02-18-2013 12:27 PM

Hmm.. here's my thoughts. The reason we've got PCOS is because of insulin resistance. So when you're controlling the insulin your body produces (by means of this diet), and your BMI is set to normal, and you're maintaining your carb intake, does that not add up to controlling your insulin levels? Maybe I need some education :-s
Someone tell me if I am wrong, please.

ktgal 02-18-2013 01:45 PM

Hello there!

I am also new to the site as well and just started IP yesterday. I also have PCOS. Because of that nature of PCOS being a blanket term for a number of symptoms, I have been told that it can be "cured" depending on the symptoms. For instance, if you have hormonal issues but no cysts you might be able to get the hormones under control; but then again you may not. (Personally I have cysts so being "cured" is not an option) Certainly losing weight will help!! They say people with PCOS are far more likely to develop cardiovascular disease and diabetes then the average person. Obesity also adds to the likelihood of getting those diseases. People with PCOS tend to be overweight so we have to work against our body to maintain an ideal weight in order to not only manage PCOS but prevent other related illnesses. Not an EASY task but hopefully with IP it will be attainable when success has been very limited on other diets (I've tried them all!)

I also know that my fertility doctor told me that every BMI point above 30 decreases your chances of getting pregnant by 4% so add to that PCOS and it makes things very difficult.

Finally, fat cells produce estrogen which throws everything out of balance so by reducing the amount of fat in your body, you can help balance out your hormones.

Anyway hope you find this helpful and I wish you all the best of luck with your weight loss journey.

rubygirl05 02-19-2013 08:32 PM

Thanks for responding all! I never even thought about this diet/lifestyle actually curing PCOS. Of course that would be great, but if the worst symptoms lessened (for me weight gain & facial hair) I would be so happy.

My biggest worry was that the PCOS would actually cause one to regain the weight, even if I was doing maintenance perfectly. I also posted my question on the maintenance board, and a couple women responded that they have been able to maintain even with PCOS (with diligence and hard work).

So very encouraging news!!

Ilovesugar 02-19-2013 08:39 PM

I forgot to mention that I went off for 6 weeks before my last fertility cycle and I was able to maintain it just by sticking to low carb. Also, sadly i havent had any luck with the facial hair growth slowing down but the weight i'm losing is worth it! Best of luck!

speterson 02-19-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meena (Post 4636728)
Ruby Girl,
I have PCOS too. What I understand from this diet is that it resets your system completely - once you're done, you'll no longer have PCOS.
I started 6 weeks ago, lost 22 lbs, but I think my system has already regularized. I am off Metformin, and feeling great.

wow thats great..I have lost 24 pds and i have pcos ...im excited...this works
:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

leannekarella 02-19-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meena (Post 4636728)
Ruby Girl,

There is NO CURE for PCOS. I've had it for 17 years (diagnosed officially 8 years ago). This diet HELPS the insulin resistance, but it will never go away. Also, I turned diabetic because my PCOS went undiagnosed so long, and this diet can help your weight, your insulin production, and in the end, keep you from diabetes in the long run.

A low-carb lifestyle and proper care by a doctor will keep you maintaining and healthy after you've finished the diet.