Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALM2000 View Post
Thanks JohnP. The clinic always uses that current thingy which I know is questionable but I also see my MD/OB who monitors my progress along the way to ensure that I am healthy on the inside. My MD measures the usual stuff through a blood test and did a skin fold caliper test.

Re: muscle, I went to this place that offered the DEXA test. A little pricey but it's a scan that measures fat, muscle and bone density.
A DEXA scan is the gold standard for measuring body fat percentage.

Calipers are extremely good if (and only if) the person using them knows what they're doing.

At your height/weight since you're actually 30% BF (based on DEXA scan) I would highly advise you to lift weights to beef up your bone density. It will also go a long way to improving your body composition. Someone new to lifting can easily gain a little muscle while losing fat at the same time for a short period (couple months - maybe three)

A good book on the subject is NROL for women. I'm not the biggest fan of the dietary side of the book but you could do a lot worse than what they suggest.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #17  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALM2000 View Post
Hi everyone, Thanks for your all advice. I went to WI today (skipped last week as I was out of town) and found that I lost a little over 7 lbs in two weeks.

The good thing is I gained muscle and lost fat. (Confirmed with my MD, too)

I realize that my weight be "ideal" for my height but I am looking more at the fat/muscle ratio. I am still at 30% fat and want to get it down to about 25% before I phase off and start exercising.

Just thought I'd share. I guess everyone's body is unique and our experiences will differ because of it.

P.S. I also started taking probiotic for digestion and chlorophyll for my keto-breath. Now I am totally "regular" and people don't rush out of the room when I speak.
Will you tell me a little more about the chlorohyll? How does it come (ie pill, powder)? How much do you take? How much does it cost? Where do you get it? Does it have a taste?
Thanks, Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #18  
Started IP on 10/2/2012

S/C/G: 166.2/108/105

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
A DEXA scan is the gold standard for measuring body fat percentage.

Calipers are extremely good if (and only if) the person using them knows what they're doing.

At your height/weight since you're actually 30% BF (based on DEXA scan) I would highly advise you to lift weights to beef up your bone density. It will also go a long way to improving your body composition. Someone new to lifting can easily gain a little muscle while losing fat at the same time for a short period (couple months - maybe three)

A good book on the subject is NROL for women. I'm not the biggest fan of the dietary side of the book but you could do a lot worse than what they suggest.
Great! Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into that!
ALM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #19  
Started IP on 10/2/2012

S/C/G: 166.2/108/105

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
Will you tell me a little more about the chlorohyll? How does it come (ie pill, powder)? How much do you take? How much does it cost? Where do you get it? Does it have a taste?
Thanks, Jen
Hi JenRem, I bought Chlorofresh by Nature's Way in liquid and liqui-gel forms. I bought it online from Vitacost (they have lots of sales) but you can buy it at Walgreens or any regular pharmacy. The liquid costs about $7 for 16 oz and the pills cost about $9 (for 90).

For the liquid, I use 1 tsp in an 8oz glass of water each morning. It has a hint of mint and tastes like sweet green tea. If I'm on the road, I take one liqui-gel in the morning.

It is marketed as an "internal deodorant" and seems to work fine for me. I've been taking it for a little over week and I noticed the positive effects within two days. My friends and family were more surprised than I was.
ALM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote