Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #391  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
As a massage therapist (no longer practicing), here is my advice, let the therapist know as she/he works on you if you need more or less pressure, or a different type of massage. A competent therapist should be trained in deep tissue and relaxation techniques. The thing about "hurts" or "hurts so good" is that people have different pain thresholds and sensitivity to touch . A therapist can practically beat on my muscles with a meat tenderizer and I won't complain. Most of my clients were rehab or athletes, so I did very deep tissue work. However, occassionaly one of my deep tissue clients would say "Not today, just want a light relaxation massage." Plus I had a couple clients who could barely tolerate any level of pressure except for the slightest amount of touch. Since you are a new client, the therapist should ask you for feedback on the level of pressure. But if not, by all means speak up and tell them what you like and don't like. It's perfectly ok to ask for more pressure, less pressure or to say you want a light relaxation massage or deeper tissue massage.

My last opinion about massage therapists, they are a lot like IP coaches. A good one is worth their weight in gold, a bad one will have you never wanting to return. If you don't leave this massage feeling great about it, keep shopping, massage is a wonderful thing!
Thanks for the advice I will make sure to speak up next time, the massage was great to my back but a little painful to the top of my shoulders and now they are a little tender to touch but over all it was very nice way to spend 45 min and my back felt great after.

Last edited by MonicaKolesnik; 02-22-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #392  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
As a massage therapist (no longer practicing), here is my advice.....My last opinion about massage therapists, they are a lot like IP coaches. A good one is worth their weight in gold, a bad one will have you never wanting to return. If you don't leave this massage feeling great about it, keep shopping, massage is a wonderful thing!
OK -- you can do massages too??? You're definitely IN on the cruise!! No, you Don't have to Do the massages, but you may have to ensure that our DH are getting the proper instructions they need to be able to replicate "relaxing massage techniques" (not deep muscle massage) back on the mainland!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #393  

I'd love it if DH could learn how to give a massage and not expect nookie afterwards.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #394  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mompattie View Post
I'd love it if DH could learn how to give a massage and not expect nookie afterwards.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oops. Did I do that out loud?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #395  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Quote:
Hahahaha
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #396  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

RAINBOW!
is in da house!

just popping by to say hello....and that i am doing excellent!! thank you to everyone who asked and sent me a lovely message!! i am sorry i have not been posting on the boards lately...

i am well in to my "break" from IP....and into a modified do my own thing maintenance and thriving! i have not posted because i did not want to take away from IP and from anyone who is progressing and doing so well.

it was a personal reason, that had mostly to do with dealing with excess baggy skin from losing over 100 pounds at my size. i am working on a different approach that is the right path for me.

i am doing GREAT!! after my first week of a 7 plus pound gain that freaked me out a wee bit, i settled into the 2nd and 3rd week with loses and into a 4th week with a maintain.

this is all very new to me as all my life i have either steadily gained weight or had to work like a mad woman to lose weight. i am thrilled to be maintaining. i keep trying on my skinny tight jeans and they still keep zipping up. the scale says i am maintaining but i am waiting for my head to realize it i suppose!!

the past few weeks i have bought a few clothes from online, still ordering a 2x or 3x and then finding they are way too big....and it still amazes me to see that my mind just hasn't really accepted that the size XL i wear that fits is REALLY my size in tops. i am still in a size 22 jeans which thrills me to no end. my friends and family have more than once mentioned that it has been nearly 10 years since they have seen me wear jeans...as my life use to be lived in sweats and stretchy pull on polyester pants.

i am lifting weights 3 times a week now, at home, i turned my dining room into a work out station, and have an exercise bike, steps for step aerobics, barbells 15 and 25 lbs and this chick lifts 25lbs each hand!!! i am still biking 20 miles 2 times a week on my regular bike and life is good!!

today...i had a funny NSV....i was going to the market with dh, and was putting on my socks...and i stood...upright...and put on my socks!! then it dawned on me that i actually STOOD to put on socks. only someone who has ever been very overweight will understand!! i cannot even begin to remember how many years it has been that putting on socks has not required a solid surface for sitting and myself to be somewhat of a contortionist so much so that in the later years, my dh just put my socks on for me! but today, i STOOD and slipped on my own socks!! yipeeee!!!!

MUCH MUCH LOVE to all you BEAUTIFUL LADIES!!

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 02-22-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #397  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

SOOOOO happy to hear you're doing well Rainbow!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #398  

WELL THERE YOU ARE!!! MISS YOU GF!!!!! I am soooo happy things are going well with you!! We have to make this work for each of us and our lives, and you are doing JUST THAT!!! Great job on the exercising and maintaining!!! I am super jealous about the bike - mine is buried in 140 cm of SNOW! AND WHOOP WHOOP about the socks. I so totally know what you mean! It is exciting!! I really don't want you to go away for so long again!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #399  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Rainbow you rock! I'm so happy that maintenance is going so well for you.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #400  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Rainbow - don't ever leave me!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #401  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I'd laugh but that comment hits close to home! That's ok, I'm flattered that DH still wants this old, fat body. We joke about it. Maybe I'll laugh anyway...hahahaha...it is funny.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #402  
Diane on track July 2014

We totally get that you're on a different path now, but don't go away so long -- need your sunshiny smile. Plus, when the IP cruise is boarding, you'll miss the info if you don't come and check in on us! Pattie has the cabana boys booked, and a massage chair right beside hers with your name on it!

Thanks for givin' us an update. It's always a good sign when people are moving beyond IP to the "real world" and succeeding but we need to hear that too, so bring your song and your smile, and come stay for awhile!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #403  
Diane on track July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehaving View Post
I'd laugh but that comment hits close to home! That's ok, I'm flattered that DH still wants this old, fat body. We joke about it. Maybe I'll laugh anyway...hahahaha...it is funny.
I think that hit home for a lot of us! I totally can never enjoy the backrub because there is no sense relaxing and falling asleep. I think they kinda "miss the point" of the whole concept! I guess tho' when even Brad Paisley is singing about "You think a backrub, is only a backrub, and you smack my hand when I 'try'..... ah remember honey, I'm just a guy!" then it's a pretty universal sentiment.

...For the record, sorry DH, but if it WAS Brad Paisley, I probably wouldn't be smackin' his hand away
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #404  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
We totally get that you're on a different path now, but don't go away so long -- need your sunshiny smile. Plus, when the IP cruise is boarding, you'll miss the info if you don't come and check in on us! Pattie has the cabana boys booked, and a massage chair right beside hers with your name on it!

Thanks for givin' us an update. It's always a good sign when people are moving beyond IP to the "real world" and succeeding but we need to hear that too, so bring your song and your smile, and come stay for awhile!
LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!!! I really am in rainbow withdrawl!!!! I miss my gf!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I think that hit home for a lot of us! I totally can never enjoy the backrub because there is no sense relaxing and falling asleep. I think they kinda "miss the point" of the whole concept! I guess tho' when even Brad Paisley is singing about "You think a backrub, is only a backrub, and you smack my hand when I 'try'..... ah remember honey, I'm just a guy!" then it's a pretty universal sentiment.

...For the record, sorry DH, but if it WAS Brad Paisley, I probably wouldn't be smackin' his hand away
Lmaoooooo. You crack me up Diane!!! I love ur posts!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #405  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Rainbow - I'm glad things are going so well for you! Thanks for checking in with us! And try to a little more often - we missed you!

Regarding massages.............. my first advice is to not drink very much water about 4 hours and less before the appt. There is nothing worse than being on the massage table, having a full bladder and someone rubbing on your lower back lol. It's hard to relax and ENJOY the massage. I always drink most of my water afterwards. Plus, the massage therapists wants you to drink a lot after to flush out the toxins.

I try to get a massage about every 2-3 weeks due to my career (dental hygienist) and not always using proper ergonomics. Our muscles have memory and if we aren't using good form/ergonomics, our muscles can memorize improper and shortened movements. The massage helps to erase the muscle memory and give your body a clean slate to start from.
I switched many years ago and now get 90 minute massages - this allows the therapist to do the whole body and spend a good amount of time on my back. Check with your therapist - sometimes they offer the 90 minutes for a good rate. My therapist is less expensive than most (she works out of her home) and 1 hr is $55 and 90min is $65 - so, it's a really good deal.
I look at the massage more as body health and maintenance for myself, rather than just a reward or relaxation. I have good pain tolerance and prefer the deep massage. I can be sore in some areas for a few days afterwards. Just make sure it's the good hurt and not the bad hurt/pain while you're getting it.

Glad everyone's have a good day - Happy weekend! Jen
Closed Thread