Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #61  

Will definitely have to get some and try this....sounds great. Hard to decide which way to try first....
Mvnfwd247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #62  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
Love rutabaga fries, never liked turnips. My rutabagas don't have wax on them but I am lucky to have a year round fresh veggie stand.
I was wondering how low that they would take to bake.
Lisa, how do you measure the rutabaga after baking?
Making some fries early and then reheating for lunch for next week when I go back to work.
I weight mine out and calculate them while raw...then cook them.

The fries take around 1/2 hour to get crispy. I do 12 min at 375-400 then flip them over and another 12 min, then flip again and keep checking till they're done. I make thin fries, not fat ones, so they crisp a little faster.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #63  

I just made these -- cut in medium thick fries; tossed with a little grapeseed oil, pepper and salt; placed on sheet pan lined with parchment paper; 375 degrees for about 15 minutes on each side and then broiled at the end. Put them all in a big bowl -- made the vegetable chili packet and poured over the fries.

Fantastic lunch - tasty and filling....!!!!

Last edited by Pdukas143; 02-16-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Pdukas143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 177.6/165.4/140

Height: 5'5''

I just went to sticky notes to review the IP plans. In phase 1 it lists rutabagas as a regular veggie but phase two has it in the only two times a week category. Same as bell peppers... Except green stay with regular veggies. Turnips stay in the reg veggie category....
I love rutabaga fries!!!! They remind me of my beloved sweet potato fries...love the new recipie ideas here too. Mmmmm.
DJ72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ72 View Post
I just went to sticky notes to review the IP plans. In phase 1 it lists rutabagas as a regular veggie but phase two has it in the only two times a week category. Same as bell peppers... Except green stay with regular veggies. Turnips stay in the reg veggie category....
WELL THAT DOESN'T MAKE MUCH SENSE??
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 177.6/165.4/140

Height: 5'5''

Nope. I am confused!
DJ72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #67  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
LOL sounds like last night was a big beef & rutabaga night! I made a beef stew in the crockpot with rutabaga, cabbage, celery and onion
I want to try this for dinner tomorrow. What did you use for the liquid and thickener? Better just tell me the whole recipe :-)

Thank you
Karin
Old 02-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #68  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ72 View Post
I love rutabaga fries!!!! They remind me of my beloved sweet potato fries...love the new recipie ideas here too. Mmmmm.
This is a little confusing to me... Are the Rutagegas ok every day or are they 2 times a week?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #69  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinF View Post
This is a little confusing to me... Are the Rutagegas ok every day or are they 2 times a week?
It IS a little confusing. Rutabaga appears on the Selected veggie sheet, but Swede (which is another name for Rutabaga) appears on the Occasional veggie sheet (two cups per week only).

Rutabagas are higher on the carb count than the other veggies on the list - some people are sensitive to that while others are not. The consensus has been that if you eat them often and don't see any issues with your losses, then treat them like a Selected veggie. If you notice you have them and your weight losses change, or you don't feel well, you may be carb sensitive and should treat them as an occasional veggie. Listen to your body and use your judgement

Quote:
I want to try this for dinner tomorrow. What did you use for the liquid and thickener? Better just tell me the whole recipe :-)

Thank you
Karin
LOL I shredded the cabbage, when you cook shredded cabbage in the crockpot it turns into a bit of a mush and thickens the soup for you! I just used College Inn Fat Free low sodium beef broth, plus a cup of old coffee as my liquid. Tossed in the beef, shredded cabbage, onion, rutabaga and celery. Couple of TBsp of Worcestershire sauce for extra flavor.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #70  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:

Thank you
Karin
I didn't write the post... But I use a little Xanthan gum or Thick It Up to thicken...and I use non-fat/no carb broth you can find in any grocery store. I even buy store brand because it's cheaper. I buy chicken and beef all the time.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #71  

Quote:
It IS a little confusing. Rutabaga appears on the Selected veggie sheet, but Swede (which is another name for Rutabaga) appears on the Occasional veggie sheet (two cups per week only).

Rutabagas are higher on the carb count than the other veggies on the list - some people are sensitive to that while others are not. The consensus has been that if you eat them often and don't see any issues with your losses, then treat them like a Selected veggie. If you notice you have them and your weight losses change, or you don't feel well, you may be carb sensitive and should treat them as an occasional veggie. Listen to your body and use your judgement
THANK YOU scorbett!!

Quote:
LOL I shredded the cabbage, when you cook shredded cabbage in the crockpot it turns into a bit of a mush and thickens the soup for you! I just used College Inn Fat Free low sodium beef broth, plus a cup of old coffee as my liquid. Tossed in the beef, shredded cabbage, onion, rutabaga and celery. Couple of TBsp of Worcestershire sauce for extra flavor.
THANK YOU again scorbett!!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #72  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
I didn't write the post... But I use a little Xanthan gum or Thick It Up to thicken...and I use non-fat/no carb broth you can find in any grocery store. I even buy store brand because it's cheaper. I buy chicken and beef all the time.
Thank you leannekarella.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 219/Start IP at 206/172/135

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
Found this online:
Ingredients:

Rutabagas
Olive Oil
Salt, garlic powder, and paprika
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 425 F. 1) Peel rutabagas with a paring knife and slice in 1/4" rounds. If you like, you can do them in strips - they will cook a little faster, but you have to watch them carefully or they'll burn.

2) Smear with oil and a little salt and put them on a nonstick baking sheet.

3) Cook about 12 minutes, turning twice. Take out when golden brown and tender. Immediately sprinkle with garlic powder and paprika. I like to add kosher salt at the end as well.

Nutritional Information:1 cup raw sliced rutabaga has about 7 grams effective carbohydrateplus 3.5 grams of fiber and 50 calories (plus oil).
can't wait to try these this week. Made my husband by one today and he keeps asking me why when we don,t like it.

aslo going to try the lasagne with the eggplant. Hope it's good because that is another vegetable we don't like so I am a little worried about that recipe.
ginettepv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #74  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginettepv View Post
can't wait to try these this week. Made my husband by one today and he keeps asking me why when we don,t like it.

aslo going to try the lasagne with the eggplant. Hope it's good because that is another vegetable we don't like so I am a little worried about that recipe.
I prefer to use zucchini than eggplant for my lasagna 'noodles'. I really dislike eggplant, and even this way it wasn't edible to me.

I tried the fatter cuts of rutabaga for "steak" fries, and they got brown before they cooked through, so they were slightly crunchy. I wasn't impressed, but the kiddo LOVED them that way.