Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

OMG there are so many better things out there to choose from other than food. Take it from me, I always used food as a reward or to comfort myself.

Now I buy jewelry, mani/pedi and most recently, cowboy boots!!! It will get easier as you get farther into the program.

Do you really want to risk getting out of ketosis and go through that 1st week again??
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 272/272/160

Wow. You all have given me so much to think about. I wasn't really looking at it as "cheating". I really was looking at it as a treat. I am scared to death that feeling "deprived" is what is going to make me cheat and in my head I feel like if I have just one piece once a month it will give me something to look forward to. I am not really having any problems staying OP (unless there is pizza in the room, and i just leave). I am definitely going to take everything you each have said to heart. I do not want to go back to my old eating habits. I still have 1 more week before I hit the one month mark. A lot of thinking to do. Thank you all giving me your opinions. I really do value and appreciate them!
TWaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWaff View Post
Wow. You all have given me so much to think about. I wasn't really looking at it as "cheating". I really was looking at it as a treat. I am scared to death that feeling "deprived" is what is going to make me cheat and in my head I feel like if I have just one piece once a month it will give me something to look forward to. I am not really having any problems staying OP (unless there is pizza in the room, and i just leave). I am definitely going to take everything you each have said to heart. I do not want to go back to my old eating habits. I still have 1 more week before I hit the one month mark. A lot of thinking to do. Thank you all giving me your opinions. I really do value and appreciate them!
I'm not trying to sound mean, really, but as this is a strict protocol diet, it would be a "cheat" regardless of how you frame it or what you call it. What I hear is you are planning to do a "controlled cheat." What I hear others here say over and over based on their experience is that one "controlled cheat" often leads to another, then another, and then suddenly they aren't controlled anymore and YOU aren't in control anymore. Someone who has been here a few years pointed out to me that everyone they knew who fell off the IP wagon with a "controlled cheat" thought they had LOADS of willpower to return right back to IP 100%. That said, I did read a document in archives which someone's coach gave them on this concept of breaking protocol occasionally because you believe if you don't, you will go off protocol completely. I'll search and see if I can find it. IIRC, the bottom line was that this is a no cheat protocol, so do EVERYTHING you can to stay on protocol. But if that one cheat, slice, etc...is absolutely NEEDED to stay on protocol, well, then only you can decide that. Also, I think it is very important to know that some clinics do enforce the policy of terminating a client if they have more than two off-protocol cheats. If you have a coach and are going to a clinic, I'd suggest you discuss this with them before you do it. All just my opinion. Best of luck in what you decide!

Last edited by Nolawhodatchick; 02-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Nolawhodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #34  

The whole idea around the protocol is to change the way that you view food and teaches you how to control your food opposed to food controlling you. Think of it this way, why would pizza be a reward for you; meaning, why didn't you think of rewarding yourself with an extra cup of veggies? It takes a long time to break old habits, after all the saying old habits die hard was said for a reason haha. The biggest reward you could ever give yourself is to give your body what it needs and, right now, it is this protocol. Reward yourself with a smile and with being proud of your accomplishment thus far - you deserve it!
xolina13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolina13 View Post
A technique I find useful when having cravings is write a list of things you have to do/like to do (reading, going for a walk, cleaning the house, laundry, etc...) and when you have a craving look at the list, choose something, and cross it off. Not only are you accomplishing things that actually have to get done but you will be focusing on that instead of your craving and before you know it it will be time for an IP Packet!!
Great idea!!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #36  

Height: magmeepEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
OMG there are so many better things out there to choose from other than food. Take it from me, I always used food as a reward or to comfort myself.

Now I buy jewelry, mani/pedi and most recently, cowboy boots!!! It will get easier as you get farther into the program.
I think this is a good idea, but what are some things you can reward yourself with that don't cost money? That's what I'm trying to think of, as well, I don't have lots of extra money.

That being said, food cannot be a reward anymore, or fill an emotional need. When I get a craving, I think of why I want that, like this morning, I saw a chocolate glazed doughnut on my walk, and immediately wanted one. And then it hit me, I was missing my mom, who used to love doughnuts, and the comfort she brought (it's been stressful in my life lately). So instead of thinking about doughnuts, I thought of my mom.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #37  

That is a great strategy too; actually asking yourself why you want what you're craving. Also, when you start craving, literally ask yourself 'Am I hungry?' or am I just emotional, bored, stressed, etc... More times than not you are not actually hungry. It's a long process with having done damage to our bodies prior to the protocol but you are just in the middle of not only retraining your body but retraining your mind on what being full is, what hunger is, and how to handle your emotions.
xolina13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolina13 View Post
That is a great strategy too; actually asking yourself why you want what you're craving. Also, when you start craving, literally ask yourself 'Am I hungry?' or am I just emotional, bored, stressed, etc... More times than not you are not actually hungry. It's a long process with having done damage to our bodies prior to the protocol but you are just in the middle of not only retraining your body but retraining your mind on what being full is, what hunger is, and how to handle your emotions.
This^^ a thousand times over. When I think I'm hungry, I ask myself if I am truly hungry, and then I wait about a half hour, and if I'm still wanting some food, I eat something on protocol. Or I just take walk. Water can really help too.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #39  

starshine It does sound like I've replaced one addiction with another. I guess I was thinking more wgt loss goal rewards. (and I am super excited about my new boots.)

I suppose you could get a good book at the library. (I've done that.) I like to do my own nails at home too. (Can't eat if they are wet.)

I have also taken up crochet which keeps hands busy.

Last edited by NinjaNurse; 02-03-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 227/189/150

Height: 5"4

I agree don't do it!
sc1661cl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
starshine It does sound like I've replaced one addiction with another. I guess I was thinking more wgt loss goal rewards. (and I am super excited about my new boots.)

I suppose you could get a good book at the library. (I've done that.) I like to do my own nails at home too. (Can't eat if they are wet.)

I have also taken up crochet which keeps hands busy.
Oh, I don't think you have a new addiction, Ninja. It's great to reward yourself with bought things for the great weight loss you're having. I'd really like that also. I like your ideas about a book; maybe a kids book would be fun. Also, maybe treat myself by letting myself be lazy for an afternoon and not feel guilty about it. I've just been so stressed lately, and I need to think about those little things I can do to make life just a bit more fun.

So thank you for saying about different rewards, Ninja, and congrats on the new boots! That's a great reward. I can't wait to hear about more of your goal rewards.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #42  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Why spend all this money, time and effort on IP if you are planning to cheat? Either you want to do this and get thinner and healthier or you want to eat pizza.

Me? I'm sticking to the plan.
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #43  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

I cook a LOT. I love to cook, which has helped lead to the size I got to.

When I'm craving and that little voice is telling me to go ahead and have that, it won't be so bad, I go in search of recipes and come up with something that will make an okay substitute for what I'm craving.

For pizza, I'm planning to try an IP or Health Smart pancake, made with garlic and onion powder, and then sugar free pizza sauce, some Italian meat, and Go Veg (nowhere near me carries veggie shreds) cheese slice melted on top.

There's ways around cheating and still getting the flavor you are looking for. The carbs and going OP is just so not worth the taste of a slice of pizza!

My new favorite right now is rutabaga fries.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote