Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #1  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Default Just home from surgery, fighting staying OP, help?

My surgery went really well and I'm now home.Can't do much, certainly a little prone to eating while watching TV... I have been eating more yesterday (fully aware it was the stress and anxiety pre-op, but choosing non-carb or low carb snacks/food). I didn't overeat or binge, but know I used the extra food as a pacifier.
Now today, I'm finding my head saying "I deserve" to have 'treats'...trying to talk myself into eating things like cheese because they are no carb foods. I'm wrestling with this. I'm not at all worried I'll go on a downhill slide and go off plan, I feel strong with being back on IP and know a big reason was to get me through the recovery without gaining alot of weight, maybe even LOSING weight!
So...any thoughts are welcome. Am I just looking for an excuse? Probably. Is it all that bad?
Well, getting away from using food as a reward is a huge hurdle. I never have been able to completely disengage from that, I just get very disciplined for long stretches of time.
Ugh!
Ideas?
hmmmmmm.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #2  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

I'd say you've taken the first big step. It is a necessary part of this journey to address the reasons why you've overeaten in the past and find ways to get through it. My suggestion is to make a list as to how you feel when you are at your heaviest. What do you want to feel once you have lost the weight. Focus on these things instead of running to the kitchen.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #3  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Try to find things you can do that will keep your hands busy and keep you distracted at the same time.
1. An easy one is to read a book.
2. Write old-fashioned letters to friends or family, esp elderly ones - they really appreciate the written letters no one takes time to do anymore!
3. Do you know how to knit, crochet, sew, cross-stitch? If "no", have you ever wanted to learn? Maybe you can take this down time to learn a crafty type item you can make!

Good Luck not giving in to the temptations - you can do it! Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Can you get the temptations out of the house? I'm at home due to disability and the only thing that helps is making sure it's not in the home! I'll buy ice cream for my DH BUT I make sure it's a kind I don't like...Stay strong and wishing you a speedy recovery!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #5  

I'm having minor surgery next week and won't be able to exercise for a couple of days when I am home. The easiest thing I find is (like someone already mentioned above) #1, keep the junk out of the house and #2, log on to 3FC as the more I am typing the less I can eat! Seriously though, the more occupied my brain is on my laptop and with a full cup of tea or coffee, the less likely I am to go looking for a snack (that I'm not even hungry for, just bored!).

And I try not to gain weight when I have this procedure every few months; a couple days off of my exercise aren't going to wreck my progress but stuffing my face will!

Wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote