Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Mmm that looks so good! I checked my local Whole Foods and they didn't have it :-(
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #32  
Started IP 11/28/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna View Post
Mmm that looks so good! I checked my local Whole Foods and they didn't have it :-(
Did you check Central Market or Trader Joes? I'm not sure if you have one of those nearby. Check this out, you can buy it on Amazon in a 15 lb box: http://www.amazon.com/Rhubarb-Avg-15...rhubarb+frozen

Hope you have a freezer!

Also, your before and after pics are amazing! Looking so hot!
amberjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittStar027 View Post
Thank you!! I have a birthday coming up next month and I think this is going my make my "list" along with a blender and food processor. Oh the things that excite us as we get older...
Mine is called a "FoodSaver" and I bought it a few years back at Costco, costco regularly has the Saver rolls on special as well. I use it regularly and not just for items I put in the freezer. I buy big blocks of cheese and cut them into sections and seal - keeps each section perfect and stays fresh a long time! I use it to store extra coffee in, I actually just sealed several bags of homemade "nuts-n-bolts" and caramel corn from xmas - this will make them last without going stale and I won't feel like I have to "finish" them before my reboot!!

My husband had a great time creating little packages of individual chocolates for me last valentines day with notes that read "in emergency - break seal". That actually worked well for me

I've even used it to seal my daughters toiletries when she headed off to Europe to ensure nothing exploded in her suitcase.

I just found out after the kids went back to university and left me with opened boxes of cereal that I could put the cereal package in the machine - hit "seal" and they are now sealed fresh until they are home for Easter break.

The uses are endless and I couldn't live without mine.
thin4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #34  
Started IP 11/28/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4me View Post
Mine is called a "FoodSaver" and I bought it a few years back at Costco, costco regularly has the Saver rolls on special as well. I use it regularly and not just for items I put in the freezer. I buy big blocks of cheese and cut them into sections and seal - keeps each section perfect and stays fresh a long time! I use it to store extra coffee in, I actually just sealed several bags of homemade "nuts-n-bolts" and caramel corn from xmas - this will make them last without going stale and I won't feel like I have to "finish" them before my reboot!!

My husband had a great time creating little packages of individual chocolates for me last valentines day with notes that read "in emergency - break seal". That actually worked well for me

I've even used it to seal my daughters toiletries when she headed off to Europe to ensure nothing exploded in her suitcase.

I just found out after the kids went back to university and left me with opened boxes of cereal that I could put the cereal package in the machine - hit "seal" and they are now sealed fresh until they are home for Easter break.

The uses are endless and I couldn't live without mine.
Thank you for all of your examples! I didn't realize you could do so much with it. How do you handle liquids? For instance if you made a soup and wanted to freeze it in the bags?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 146/120/105

Height: 5'0" on a good day :)

I know that at my Whole Foods, they don't normally carry frozen rhubarb but the manager said that if I was interested in a case (I can't remember if a case of rhubarb is 6 or 12 packages) then they could special order it for me. There might even be a case discount.
ablever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Amber, your rhubarb crisp looks so good, I am going to buy some rhubarb tomorrow. It's funny how you hear about recipes and they don't appeal until you see the photos

P.S. I think your chocolate zucchini cookies look amazing as well. I almost made some tonight ...then stopped myself (no more food today). Time for bed!
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #37  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

We grew rhubarb at our old house - I didn't use it - thought it was difficult (it's so not)- now with IP I wish we had all of that rhubarb!!!! I will be stocking up this summer! I have 2- 2 cup bags in the freezer which I am cherishing.

I just throw it in a bowl and put it in the microwave - frozen or fresh - with some Stevia. Yum.

I also have a very good non-IP recipe for a cobbler made with marshmallow's and a cake-like topping. PM me and I can email the recipe.
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #38  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Well, I checked with my local Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Shaws, and Stop and Shop, and none of them sell frozen rhubarb. However....the new Wegman's in Northborough had it! Dole brand, 3.49 for a 16 oz bag. Got some this morning and have a single-serve rhubarb crisp made with proti-diet maple-brown sugar oatmeal (non-restricted!) baking in the oven!!
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #39  
Started IP 11/28/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
Amber, your rhubarb crisp looks so good, I am going to buy some rhubarb tomorrow. It's funny how you hear about recipes and they don't appeal until you see the photos

P.S. I think your chocolate zucchini cookies look amazing as well. I almost made some tonight ...then stopped myself (no more food today). Time for bed!
Hope you enjoy both of these recipes. I have fun coming up with some new ones and expounding on hold ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas812 View Post
Well, I checked with my local Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Shaws, and Stop and Shop, and none of them sell frozen rhubarb. However....the new Wegman's in Northborough had it! Dole brand, 3.49 for a 16 oz bag. Got some this morning and have a single-serve rhubarb crisp made with proti-diet maple-brown sugar oatmeal (non-restricted!) baking in the oven!!
Wow...didn't know Proti-diet had an unrestricted oatmeal. Do you like the flavor by itself?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #40  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberjules View Post

Wow...didn't know Proti-diet had an unrestricted oatmeal. Do you like the flavor by itself?
I like the flavor, but the texture/consistency is a little weird to me. Others love it. I've never been a big oatmeal lover anyway, so it is probably just me. It's nice to now have some rhubarb to go with it.
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Hope you enjoy both of these recipes. I have fun coming up with some new ones and expounding on hold ones.

The maple brown sugar ProtiDiet oatmeal tastes good, but the consistency is funky. I can't eat it by itself anymore, but i use it to make REALLY good muffins.
BrittStar027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Thank you for all of your examples! I didn't realize you could do so much with it. How do you handle liquids? For instance if you made a soup and wanted to freeze it in the bags?
Sorry just got back to this post. I've tried taking the air out of soups but usually end up making a mess, so now I just put it on "seal" and it seals it shut so basically no air gets in and it still does not get freezer burnt. There are different settings on the machine. You'll enjoy it!
thin4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 202.4/161/145

Height: 5' 6"

I have been enjoying rhubarb diced up and cooked in the microwave until soft and bubbling hot and then stirring in a packet of the raspberry jello to make a rhubarb sauce. It's really tart, but I like that. You could always add some OP sweetener to it if you thought it was too sour.
GreatLakes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #44  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

I founds some frozen rhubarb at Safeway.

I stewed it down to a bubbly mush, then put in some Splenda and strawberry extract flavoring. YUMM.

Then I did one with the oatmeal crisp topping, but it burned, so it wasn't that good. I forgot about it... Will attempt that again and pay attention better.

Hubby loved the mush too.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #45  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Fresh rhubarb is showing up in my local grocery stores now. Woohoo! It microwaves juicier than the frozen did (makes sense the frozen probably dehydrated a bit). Still loving the WF Strawberry jam mixed in after it's cooked. I found adding any sweetener on top of that made it not so good. I love it tart.
Halfagain is offline   Reply With Quote