Weight Loss Good Libido BAD

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Okay...has this happened to anybody else in IP land? Since I have been on the plan I have NO sex drive. NONE! Like zero! I feel it had been dwindling even before I started the plan but I just figured it was because I was depressed because I had let myself get so fat. But since I started IP it has hit rock bottom. My Hubby is not going to be pleased...LOL He is like the dancing carrot smiley....UGH
  • I could have made this exact same post that you did!!! LIBIDO down! I am hoping once I start losing more weight that I will FEEL like it more and not feel so yucky and fat. (feeling more sexy)
  • I looked for an answer to this (geez...I wonder why?)
    I found this:

Testosterone in women is also fundamental to sex drive as it influences interest, arousal, sexual response, lubrication, and orgasm. As a result, anything that diminishes testosterone may result in a lack of libido, including too much estrogen which may decrease testosterone levels. Excessive or chronic stress may cause a hormonal imbalance that can result in low libido. During periods of stress, progesterone, which is the precursor molecule to testosterone, is converted into cortisol instead of sex hormones. Eventually, this results in low testosterone and reduced libido.

I bolded the one part b/c we've talked over & over on this board about the quick weight loss releasing estrogen back into the system (hence lots of goofed up cycles & need for backup birth control). Being on an extremely low carb/low fat plan can also cause stress to the system, which could be accounted for in the next section.

I'm thinking this is temporary, just like some people's hair loss, and other negative symptoms. But I WILL discuss with my coach, now that I don't feel alone.
  • omg im having the same problem and it's driving me crazy!! is there any vitamin or something we can take to help?
  • I wish!!!!!! I am having the opposite problem! I feel like a crazy woman! What's worse is I'm single and no way to take advanage of it's return!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Quote: ( My Hubby is not going to be pleased...LOL He is like the dancing carrot smiley....UGH
    OMG that made me laugh out loud! What a visual!!

I totally now understand the whole libido/testosterone connection. It just explains sooooo much.

My husband's smiley + mine I have a = for DH
  • Quote:

• Yeah, my libido is down too. I hate that! But it is returning now, which is great.
  • I've noticed the same thing! After losing the weight, I thought I'd feel much more confident and ready to go, but I just don't. You are not alone. I hope it improves. Thanks for posting this question, and thanks for that explanation, Lisa.
  • Quote: OMG that made me laugh out loud! What a visual!!

I totally now understand the whole libido/testosterone connection. It just explains sooooo much.

Okay, this had me literally laughing out loud. Perfect description of what's happening around here, too!
  • We are not alone as this is showing, I have also found my Libido decreased even though my husband is like

I am hoping it gets better once I am into maintenance.
  • Quote: I wish!!!!!! I am having the opposite problem! I feel like a crazy woman! What's worse is I'm single and no way to take advanage of it's return!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm like you, Kat! I wish!

Ali
  • We're soooo mean to DH! We make them look all day at our new bodacious curvacious bods and then say they can't touch. It's like taking a diabetic to a candy store or an alcoholic to a bar. Poooor hubbies! LOL

(Of course, if DH could figure out where the laundry machine was located in the house, that might help improve my mood as much as some hormone therapy)
  • Yikes..i hope Lisa is right and its temporary..keep us posted
  • Quote: Yikes..i hope Lisa is right and its temporary..keep us posted
    I think it is. Once the fat loss stops. It would be great if a maintainer who experienced this issue would chime in