Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #31  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck81 View Post
Rhubarb is a veggie and very tasty and satisfied my fruit craving. I microwave 2 cups with 2 T. WF strawberry syrup add some cinnamon and eat it warm or add packet of knox gelatin and 3/4 cup of water dissolved first, put in the frig and have rhubarb jello. I have also mixed the warm with a packet of oatmeal too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
I love rhubarb, too! I have it most nights as my 'dessert.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittStar027 View Post
I can't find rhubarb anywhere this time if year! I've checked two different grocery stores (in the freezer) but no luck. Any suggestions?? I'm in Rhode Island if that helps...
Woot! RHUBARB (has my name right in there - the "barb" part). Yep it has saved me a few times when my fruit cravings kick into high. My mom has a big patch that I stocked up on last summer - you just wash/cut it up and freeze it - no blanching needed. I ran out though. I found it in the frozen section with the frozen pie making fruits. In my area the brand is Remlinger Farms that I've found it under. Central Market had it. I see googling that Dole also sells frozen rhubarb, though I've not found it here.

While you are looking for the frozen rhubarb - keep an eye out for Minute Maid lemon juice too - if you haven't discovered it yet. It's awesome easy and keeps a long time once thawed (I've never had it go bad on me even when using it infrequently pre-diet). It's not found in every store, but it's handy and very nice to put a small splash in your water. It tastes like fresh lemon - not like those green real-lemon bottles on the regular shelf.
http://fresh.amazon.com/product?asin...51Q&sim=detail

I would not say I was a big fan of veggies pre-IP, but I'm a fan now. Cabbage is awesome and it keeps in the drawer for ages. I don't do that often but sliced up and steamed with some of the sloppy joe packet over it is great. Or WF makes coleslaw dressing. I have some, but haven't tried it yet - I should do that. Cabbage is a nice add to homemade chicken soup too (really veggie soup - zuchinni, bell pepper, onion, whatever other veggies are okay and handy, with Costco organic chicken broth, and chicken added if I have it). Sometimes I'll add some of the IP allowed type of noodles as well, but they count as a packet. Just have to balance out the chicken with the noodles and maybe have the soup for two meals. I put sharachi sauce in there as well, hot sauce is awesome even if just a touch of it. Reminds me of pho broth.

Last edited by Halfagain; 01-26-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Halfagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by my31rewards View Post
Do you use fresh or frozen spinach?
Fresh!
And you can use the RTDs too, not just dry packets.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

I love this thread, thank you all for posting ideas. I am re-starting alternative IP. I lost 50lbs last year on IP and have gained 25 back because I was stupid and thought I could eat everything again LOL I tried to start Atkins on Jan. 1st because I had a great deal of success with it earlier in my life and was loyal to it for over 8 years and one Thanksgiving I thought I would splurge and I put on 40lbs. in a day, well it seemed that way anyway I started IP Jan. of last year and did well on it and went on a 3 week vacation and still did good. Came home and started splurging and now here I am again.

So much for rambeling, I will keep and eye on theis thread.
Thank you
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #34  
Restart 3/1/15

S/C/G: 307.4/270/200

Height: 5'7

You should also try the rutabaga fries they r actually pretty good & I'm not a big turnip eater. Love roasted asparagus or even roasted cauliflower. Roasted just right reminds me of popcorn.
Sammie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Kale chips are pretty good. Take a bunch of kale (removed from its thick stem)... rip it up into the size you'd like to eat. Drizzle with one - two tsp evoo and season to taste...Then just mush it all together so the evoo and seasonings get all over the pieces.

I bake mine at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes. If you burn it it will taste bitter...

Last edited by New Englander; 01-26-2013 at 05:41 PM.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 250/217/170

Height: 5'0

Since the veggies are measured before they are cooked - 4 cups of spinach or kale cooks down to like 1/2 a cup. you can put that in an omelet, chicken soup or chopped up fine like parsely and cooked in meatloaf, meatballs, spaghetti meat with a tiny bit of tomato. I also really like the pasta salad with a little broccoli and a lot of diced cucumber.

Cauliflower can be steamed until soft then pureed like mashed potatoes. a tiny bit of truffle infused olive oil can bump that up to amazing levels. Try using it as a topping for IP chicken pot pie or IP shepherds pie.

another favorite is IP fauxtato salad. cooking turnips, dicing them and tossing with a little WF mayo and vinegar and scallion or chives. They are already mustardy tasting so maybe no mustard.
Liddybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittStar027 View Post
So no rhubarb at Shop Rite. I posted a topic about the rhubarb. I'm majorly jonesing for some lately. When i did IP before, i started in the summer and this was my go-to when i wanted something fruit-like.
Bummer

What about slicing up zucchini, tossing with splenda and cinnamon, microwaving until soft and topping with WF pancake syrup?

Tastes like baked apple slices!!!

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 01-26-2013 at 07:37 PM.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #38  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

RE: the rhubarb dilemma - have you tried jicama? I find it in the produce aisle near where they keep the asian veggies. You can also find them at spanish markets. Once you peel it, it's got a very mild flavor and texture like an apple! I often have it for a snack sprinkled with cinnamon and splenda, or dipped in the WF caramel sauce!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #39  

It took me about two months to get over the insane amount of vegetables I had to eat each day, but now it's fairly normal. Other than salad I really didn't eat many vegetables, which is a significant factor in why I've needed to diet in the first place (maybe we all can relate to that). It may take a bit but as you get in your routine you will find things you like- I look forward to brussel sprouts a couple times a week. It's strange how severely restricting one's choices suddenly makes previously unappealing options (I love brussel sprouts but I would have never chosen them over bread and cheese) more attractive. You'll get used to it.
markhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #40  
Started IP 1/7/13

S/C/G: 252/220/152

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Fresh!
And you can use the RTDs too, not just dry packets.
Tried it tonight and it was good!!
my31rewards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #41  

Default 3rd day on IP

Hi all! I'm new to IP and new to 3FC too. Have been reading a lot this evening. Lots of great information. I'm in P1 of the program. And tomorrow will be challenging as I'll be with family celebrating my brothers birthday.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of taking a veggie plate. My moms preparing meat, I think fajita meat. Which I don't think is an approved protein.

Thanks!

Start weight: 207lbs
WI Thursday:
lat1nacurv3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #42  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat1nacurv3s View Post
Hi all! I'm new to IP and new to 3FC too. Have been reading a lot this evening. Lots of great information. I'm in P1 of the program. And tomorrow will be challenging as I'll be with family celebrating my brothers birthday.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of taking a veggie plate. My moms preparing meat, I think fajita meat. Which I don't think is an approved protein.

Thanks!

Start weight: 207lbs
WI Thursday:
If they're just making the meat with oil and spices, it is fine. Fajita meat is usually just chicken or beef that's been seasoned. Just make sure to ask to see the jar of spices and check for added sugar, that would be the only thing to make it not ok on P1. Some meat and veggies (skip the tortillas for fajitas) and you're good to go! Bringing a veggie plate is ALWAYS a good idea, that way you don't have to worry about having something to munch. You may also want to save your restricted item for the day and bring it with you to the party (bars and snacks are very portable!) - it will keep you from getting caught without your food if the party is around the same time as lunch or a snack.

Good luck!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default fajita party

Another good way to NOT have your diet sabotaged at an family event, is to bring something else you know you can eat. Say you wanted to try the recipe for something you need to bring to another event down the road, and wanted some unbiased family members to tell you how they like it. I'd get a pound of lean ground beef (or more if your budget permits) and saute and season it to IP regulations...put it in a cute serving container....and bring that also. It won't ruin their menu or party...and it gives you a protein you know you can eat with not too much fuss or expense.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #44  

i've been told the same thing by 3 diffrent coaches about onions. you can cook with them but once they start to change colour they are turning to sugar. i eat onion at least 4-5 times a week
marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #45  

what we also tried was cutting turnip into fries cook in oven taste like french fries . all vinager and even better.. i've been living off cucumber, celery and brocolli. now turnip and i've never ate turnip before up untill 2 days ago
marnie is offline   Reply With Quote