Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #106  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Rainbow, being the expert chef you are, I have a question regarding soup.

I'm planning to make some veggie soup for lunch today. Turnips, celery and cabbage in low sodium chicken broth and I thought I'd throw my IP Rotini in there for good measure!

My question is, having never made this before, when do I put each ingredient in? I know I should chop all the veggies to be roughly the same size so they cook evenly, but should I put the turnips and celery in first, cook until almost done, then put the cabbage in last? Throw everything in together?

Help please! Thanks
well, i would think that the turnips would take longer, so i would do those first, and then when fork tender but not fully cooked add the cabbage and celery....

i would cook the pasta separate and add last.

hope that helps

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 01-20-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #107  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
If it were ME (author of Fridgebottom Soup extraordinaire) you have to make a few decisions about how crispy you like your veggies. If you want them equally crispy, put the turnip in first as it takes a long time to cook, or maybe even nuke and rinse it a bit. The celery and cabbage won't take as long to cook.

I also wouldn't put the rotini in until you're about to eat your soup. That way you'll have a few just veggie servings, and when you want your bowl with noodles, they'll be there a plenty, vs. having 3 noodles a bowl I'd also cook the noodles in different water in case they make the water mucky.

To change things up, I'd take one serving of the veggies, puree them, and add that to one of the other mixes you have -- chicken a la king, broc cheese, tomato -- whichever you have. One pot o' broth with veggies will make you several different tasting meals.

Btw I have been adding just a splash of the juice out of my hot pepper pickle jar to my soups to give it a bit o' heat.

Mmmmm.... I think I wanna check that fridge to see what's at the bottom and get me some soup going too!
yes, what she said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
well, i would think that the turnips would take longer, so i would do those first, and then when fork tender but not fully cooked add the cabbage and celery....

i would cook the pasta separate and add last.

hope that helps
Thanks, that's what I figured but thought I would check with the Iron Chef first!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #109  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Thanks, that's what I figured but thought I would check with the Iron Chef first!!!
hahaha NOT!!! but thanks for the vote of confidence!!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #110  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Back from Bodypump and on our way to have breakfast with my cousins family. Then groceries and get ready for my daddy! I hope everyone wraps up their weekend happy and healthy. Its a big cooking day for me...like to have my breakfast & purees prepped for the week!

I dreamed of halter tops and oysters!

Last edited by LizRR; 01-20-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 174/174/125

Height: 5' 2"

Quick question from a newbie-we can have 2 egg whites a day? Yes.
Can we use egg whites in a carton?
Also, I think someone posted here about eating every 4 hours. Am I supposed to be doing that?
And-my TOM is coming very soon, this is my first week of ip and my first TOm since having my baby and stopping breastfeeding....am I correct in thinking that this will cause me to retain water/not lose much this week?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #112  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Quote:
Thank you! I should clarify I am making only 1 serving of it in case it's terrible!

So, 1 cup of turnips, 1/2 cup of celery and 1/2 cup of cabbage. I also cook up an entire box of Rotini once a week and, painstakingly, separate 7 servings into baggies that I keep in the fridge all week. I usually have a cold "Pasta Salad" for lunch everyday so it's all ready for me to just dump in the bowl with my veggies.

So, I think I will simmer the turnips in the broth until almost done, then add the celery and cabbage. Hopefully it comes out ok. LOL
Oh it tastes good alright -- I'm eatin' it right now! I laughed that I had all of your ingredients in my fridge. I also added some mushrooms and a bit of broccoli, some spices, some hot pepper juice, and some salt.(read with french accent "Mmm.... how you English say zis? C'est magnifique!!" (kisses fingertips)

Last edited by IP43; 01-20-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #113  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizJazz View Post
Quick question from a newbie-we can have 2 egg whites a day? Yes.
Can we use egg whites in a carton?
Also, I think someone posted here about eating every 4 hours. Am I supposed to be doing that?
And-my TOM is coming very soon, this is my first week of ip and my first TOm since having my baby and stopping breastfeeding....am I correct in thinking that this will cause me to retain water/not lose much this week?
Egg whites in a carton is all I use. Who has time to separate eggs?

Eating every 4 hrs? It's good advice but each person is different so some people have special issues and HAVE to eat like that. It sure keeps the hungries at bay tho' if you eat regularly. Go by your body's feelings. If you need to eat and supper is a long way off, that free lettuce, hard boiled egg, or egg white omelette can hit the spot. I always have a juice jug of veggie soup in the fridge just for that reason.

TOM - again everyone is different. I had mine last week and that's when I lost 4 pounds. I was so excited to think what it would have been on a regular week. Just know it is what it is and don't worry about the numbers for a week or so.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #114  

So good reading all your posts. Have been on IP since January 2, 2013. It is a very restrictive plan for very serious people wanting to lose weight. That's how I look at it. I wanted to be sure I was serious before I committed. So glad I did. It works! Have lost about ten pounds probably over that at my weigh-in in a couple of days. I have not cheated on this plan. Your posts on going off plan encourage me to never consider it. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #115  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperTown View Post
What an accomplishment My counts are just like yours (as of this morning) so I know where you're coming from

Did you go see the Jets? My son and daughter-in-law live there and SHE's a big fan

Good for you for staying OP during the birthday celebration. We actually just got back from a week in Mexico. I wanted to stay OP with lots of salads, but I don't like the bottles dressing, so I brought my own! Some waiters looked at me funny when they saw me with my little plastic container of salad dressing, but I came back home only 2 pounds up and have since lost 3 pounds in 3 days....so very proud of myself.

Have a great day Winnipeg Minus 30° here tonight!!!
Ya it was the jets game- such a blast - congrats on staying IP with your trip and losing what you gained back so fast - today is a nice typical -34 day here in Winnipeg - Mexico sounds really nice about now --
Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #116  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
Oh it tastes good alright -- I'm eatin' it right now! I laughed that I had all of your ingredients in my fridge. I also added some mushrooms and a bit of broccoli, some spices, some hot pepper juice, and some salt.(read with french accent "Mmm.... how you English say zis? C'est magnifique!!" (kisses fingertips)
Yes, mine came out amazing too! I will definitely be making this on a regular basis!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello all,
Productive day already. Washed linens, took the stove apart and cleaned the entire thing and if anyone has a big Viking you know how heavy the parts are and all the elbow grease to get the Stainless clean, now I don't want to use it and get it dirty,lol!

Went to Ithaca yesterday and I always have to stop in their Wegmans, not that I don't love my Wegmas, the one in Ithaca is bigger and has an amazing international section and produce I have never even heard of. I stocked up on some veggies and fresh herbs, I skipped the $140/lb mushrooms and just got my regular ones. lol.

Do you people really like Spanx, I really felt confined and gave them away, I guess I like my jiggle to be "free" to go where it wants to

Congrats Liz, so exciting
Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #118  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlpenny View Post
So good reading all your posts. Have been on IP since January 2, 2013. It is a very restrictive plan for very serious people wanting to lose weight. That's how I look at it. I wanted to be sure I was serious before I committed. So glad I did. It works! Have lost about ten pounds probably over that at my weigh-in in a couple of days. I have not cheated on this plan. Your posts on going off plan encourage me to never consider it. Thanks!
You are doing great so far!

I wasn't sure I'd be able to stick to IP either. Amazingly I've been 100% since day one, and it is because of reading all the posts here about why not to cheat. My coach mentioned to me don't cheat when i first started but she didnt explain what the consequences to cheating are.
My only regret since starting IP, is that I didn't start it sooner. I had thought about it when I received the email blast my dr's office sent out, about 6-12 months before I started, but at that time I thought I could never stick to it.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #119  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
Do you people really like Spanx, I really felt confined and gave them away, I guess I like my jiggle to be "free" to go where it wants to
I want mine to be free to want to go away!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
My only regret since starting IP, is that I didn't start it sooner. I had thought about it when I received the email blast my dr's office sent out, about 6-12 months before I started, but at that time I thought I could never stick to it.
A friend of mine shared her IP success when she lost 55 in 2011. I knew about IP in Nov 2011 and didn't start til the first week of Aug 2012.
I try not to have regrets about that. I feel all things happen for a reason. I got myself in a "ready for battle" mentality where "don't quit" and "failure is not an option" are my mantras. I wasn't "there" in 11/2011. It takes what it takes and for me it took IP working in my head for 8 months before I committed.
And now my food selections have narrowed. Had they been this narrow from the beginning, I would have used it as a reason (excuse) to never start. I'm still a little pi$$y over my discovery this morning that I overlooked the soy in the dark chocolate pudding . I'll live but
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #120  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I got myself in a "ready for battle" mentality where "don't quit" and "failure is not an option" are my mantras. I wasn't "there" in 11/2011. It takes what it takes and for me it took IP working in my head for 8 months before I committed.
YES! It's easy once you're in a routine but getting there takes time. For some it clicks right away, for others it takes longer and for some it never happens.

You took your time and look at you now! You're doing it for the right reasons, your mindset is in the right place and look how far you've come.

Because you were truly ready this time, maintenance will be something you will achieve and stick with forever!

Awesome job Lisa!
Closed Thread