Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Tried making pudding muffins, but made a mistake that worked!

So last night I made what I thought were pudding muffins for this morning's breakfast, what I did was I grabbed the chocolate drink mix instead followed the same directions and they came out great! Nice surprise that I can actually use the drinks and make muffins!
AAAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

LOL. How did you make them?
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #3  

Here you go!
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-In a blender, combine (2) egg whites, (1) t. vanilla and 2 oz. of water. Blend well
-Pour liquid contents into a bowl, and gently fold in pudding packet. I usually add a little powder, mix it up, add a little more, etc... The final result is a "batter" similar to brownies. And yes, I lick the bowl and spoon
-To bake, I use (2) small corning ware dishes, you could also make them in a muffin tin, and divide them into (3) equal muffins. I spray the bottom of the dish with Pam so the cakes won't stick.

The cakes will get VERY large while baking, and will deflate when cooling. If you put too much batter into a small baking dish, your cakes will literally explode in the oven. It is VERY important to only fill the baking dish or muffin tin 1/2 way. Which is why you will get 2 small cakes or 3 muffins.

-Bake at 350 for 15-16 minutes. Let cool and enjoy a mini cake.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #4  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Yep- that's the secret of IP recipes. You can take any packet, add egg whites and baking powder, and they'll bake up into "something". Maybe not what you'd serve Martha Stewart -- although Rainbow's recipes seem to come close

I will never buy a restricted "crepes" or "pancake" mix again because you can make pancakes out of potato puree or crushing the rice cereal with a rolling pin. Why use those precious restricteds for breakfast??

I do have a few "crepes" left, but I plan to mix them with some packs of cereal to "lessen the damage". I mix up a few packs worth of pancakes so I can cook a batch today and freeze them, so for a quick breakfast on a work day I can nuke me some pancakes. mmm......

Last edited by IP43; 01-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #5  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

I love "happy" mistakes like that!

My friend (also on IP) was just given a "chocolate mug cake" recipe that uses the drink by her coach. I mentioned that I have made the pudding cakes before, but had never tried it with the drink.

Here's that recipe:
1 pkg. chocolate drink
1 egg white
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp splenda or stevia
1 splash vanilla

Put the powdered drink mix into a BIG mug or bowl. Add enough water to bring it to a slighly watery pudding consistency (4-6 oz). Add all the other ingredients, and mix well until silky smooth (the recipe says use a fork, but a blender or magic bullet would probably work very well). Put the mug or bowl in the microwave for about 3 minutes on top of a big plate. The cake will expand while cooking and contract while cooling.

The only drawback is that it uses 1 tsp of your olive oil allotment for the day. Apparently, you have to put it in a really big mug or bowl and be sure to put the plate under it because it may overflow if your mug or bowl is not big enough.

I may make this for my snack today!
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #6  

I add shredded zucchini to my muffins.
Works like a charm and adds some more bulk.
I saute lightly first
Can be made into pancakes, too.

I've made muffins with banana pudding, lemon pudding (with poppyseeds!), maple oatmeal (mixed with vanilla pudding to reduce the carbs & make non-restricted), the discontinued blueberry pudding, and also savory ones with potato puree and creamy soup mixes.

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-19-2013 at 11:36 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #7  
Diane on track July 2014

I absolutely hate the Pina Colada drink so, inspired by Lisa's suggestion, I added Vanilla to it and made some Vanilla Pina colada muffins.... much better than chokin' down that drink pack! Wooot Woooot!!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #8  
New-b

S/C/G: 219/ticker/155

Height: 5ft

Sorry I'm a calorie counter but in this recipe is this like regular pudding mix (jello brand) or something special for ip?
WannaB2cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #9  
Diane on track July 2014

It's the IP mixes, but to be honest, they DO look like a Jello pudding mix. It's the egg white that holds it together, and the baking powder that helps it rise. If you're not on IP but watching calories, maybe try it with a low fat jello mix. For us on IP it's $4 a pack to make a mistake, but for you a total flop with Jello would only cost a buck
Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #10  

I didn't even add the baking powder and it looked like a popover when it came out of the oven!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/181/169

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAMom View Post
Here you go!
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-In a blender, combine (2) egg whites, (1) t. vanilla and 2 oz. of water. Blend well
-Pour liquid contents into a bowl, and gently fold in pudding packet. I usually add a little powder, mix it up, add a little more, etc... The final result is a "batter" similar to brownies. And yes, I lick the bowl and spoon
-To bake, I use (2) small corning ware dishes, you could also make them in a muffin tin, and divide them into (3) equal muffins. I spray the bottom of the dish with Pam so the cakes won't stick.

The cakes will get VERY large while baking, and will deflate when cooling. If you put too much batter into a small baking dish, your cakes will literally explode in the oven. It is VERY important to only fill the baking dish or muffin tin 1/2 way. Which is why you will get 2 small cakes or 3 muffins.

-Bake at 350 for 15-16 minutes. Let cool and enjoy a mini cake.
Yum! So I can use this recipe but use a chocolate drink mix packet rather than a pudding packet?
Ilovesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesugar View Post
Yum! So I can use this recipe but use a chocolate drink mix packet rather than a pudding packet?
Absolutely!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 250/181/169

Height: 5'5

Yum. I'm going to try here in a minute. How much protein do I need to subtract from my dinner protein from egg white?
Ilovesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #14  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesugar View Post
Yum. I'm going to try here in a minute. How much protein do I need to subtract from my dinner protein from egg white?
You can have two egg whites per day as a freebee so you can still have your full protein.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

I use the chicken soup to make "bread". I use it as a tortilla wrap and fill with veggies. Some days I just need a sandwich and that takes care of it for me.
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote