3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Letter to self (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273594-letter-self.html)

rissimo 01-16-2013 09:35 PM

Letter to self

Good Evening IPeeps:
I have made it thru day 3 of restart. I have been kicking myself in the backside for letting myself backslide like I did. I came across the letter i shared with ya'll last year and I sat and read it and I thought that I would share it again. For the newbies this was something that I had suggested that everyone do who is struggling or hitting a plateau. Sometimes we hit a plateau after working a very long time to lose weight and we can forget exactly how far we have come. Having a letter from the past or present can just be what we need to show us how far we've come and keep us motivated to keep keeping on. Which I should have pulled out a read myself when I knew I was backsliding. Here are a few suggesions for writing your own letter to yourself.

1. Don't talk down to yourself. Starting a letter with Dear Fatty Fatterson, Dear Fatso, Dear Staypuff Marsmellow, Dear Failure, etc... is definately a no-no! Even if it s how you are feeling. Start with Dear Me.

2. Describe what it is like to be you right now. Are you satisfied with your weight? Are you unhappy? Are you unhealthy? Are you energeticor just too tired to do anything? Be honest with yourseld and tell yourself exactly how you feel. Be descriptive as possible. Using descriptive words and and emotions will really help you stay motivated on your weight loss journey. Reach deep within yourself and explain what you are through and why you need to make a change. Explain how you feel and be blunt. Here is my own example:

Dear Me,

I weigh 224.4 pounds now andI just don't reconize myself in the mirror anymore. I look and feel horrible. How could I have done this to myself? How could I let myself get this big? I can't even shop for cloths anymore because whenever I pick out a garment and take it to the dressing room, I find that I haven't picked a large enough size. I have sat in the dressing rooms so many times and cried while looking at the size, numbers keep getting higher and higher and I just can't take it anymore.

I'm tired of missing out on fun things because of my weight. I can't co out in public in a bathing suit and that eliminates amy chance of me ever going to a water park or a beach. I'm missing out on great opportunities because of my shame.

When I do go into public, I either feel like I'm completely invisible (like when sales people ignore me) or that everyone is judging me. I can't even go into a gym becauseI feel like everyone is judging me for being obese.

I'm tired all the time and don't have the energy to enjoy life anymore. I am sick and tired or being sick abd tired. I want to enjoy my life and live it to the fullest again. I am so worth it and I deserve it!!!!!!!

Sincerly,

Me

I know that when you have a goal, you can lose your way, hit a wall, think that you can't do it, I'm not srong enough to follow thru etc....and it gets extremely frustrating and you are ready to give up. Having this letter on hand helps us remember how far we have come and why we need to really press on.

M-Make short term goals
O-Out with the negative
T-Think of why you want it
I-Imagine how you will feel
V-Visualize the future you want
A-Acknowledge your successes
T-Treat yourself with respect
I-Investigate new ideas and foods
O-observe your new healthy lifestyle
N-NEVER ever give up and NEVER give in

rainbowsmiles 01-16-2013 09:38 PM

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

MyTime50 01-16-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rissimo (Post 4593953)
Good Evening IPeeps:
I have made it thru day 3 of restart. I have been kicking myself in the backside for letting myself backslide like I did. I came across the letter i shared with ya'll last year and I sat and read it and I thought that I would share it again. For the newbies this was something that I had suggested that everyone do who is struggling or hitting a plateau. Sometimes we hit a plateau after working a very long time to lose weight and we can forget exactly how far we have come. Having a letter from the past or present can just be what we need to show us how far we've come and keep us motivated to keep keeping on. Which I should have pulled out a read myself when I knew I was backsliding. Here are a few suggesions for writing your own letter to yourself.

1. Don't talk down to yourself. Starting a letter with Dear Fatty Fatterson, Dear Fatso, Dear Staypuff Marsmellow, Dear Failure, etc... is definately a no-no! Even if it s how you are feeling. Start with Dear Me.

2. Describe what it is like to be you right now. Are you satisfied with your weight? Are you unhappy? Are you unhealthy? Are you energeticor just too tired to do anything? Be honest with yourseld and tell yourself exactly how you feel. Be descriptive as possible. Using descriptive words and and emotions will really help you stay motivated on your weight loss journey. Reach deep within yourself and explain what you are through and why you need to make a change. Explain how you feel and be blunt. Here is my own example:

Dear Me,

I weigh 224.4 pounds now andI just don't reconize myself in the mirror anymore. I look and feel horrible. How could I have done this to myself? How could I let myself get this big? I can't even shop for cloths anymore because whenever I pick out a garment and take it to the dressing room, I find that I haven't picked a large enough size. I have sat in the dressing rooms so many times and cried while looking at the size, numbers keep getting higher and higher and I just can't take it anymore.

I'm tired of missing out on fun things because of my weight. I can't co out in public in a bathing suit and that eliminates amy chance of me ever going to a water park or a beach. I'm missing out on great opportunities because of my shame.

When I do go into public, I either feel like I'm completely invisible (like when sales people ignore me) or that everyone is judging me. I can't even go into a gym becauseI feel like everyone is judging me for being obese.

I'm tired all the time and don't have the energy to enjoy life anymore. I am sick and tired or being sick abd tired. I want to enjoy my life and live it to the fullest again. I am so worth it and I deserve it!!!!!!!

Sincerly,

Me

I know that when you have a goal, you can lose your way, hit a wall, think that you can't do it, I'm not srong enough to follow thru etc....and it gets extremely frustrating and you are ready to give up. Having this letter on hand helps us remember how far we have come and why we need to really press on.

M-Make short term goals
O-Out with the negative
T-Think of why you want it
I-Imagine how you will feel
V-Visualize the future you want
A-Acknowledge your successes
T-Treat yourself with respect
I-Investigate new ideas and foods
O-observe your new healthy lifestyle
N-NEVER ever give up and NEVER give in

Riss,
I remember the first time you posted about the letter. I'm so glad you are back. Today is my 1 year anniversary being on IP and I wouldn't have made it without the support of you and the rest of the 3fc members. This is where I came for support when I thought I couldn't make it through another day! But I stuck with it and I reached my goal. You knew what you needed to do to get back on track and so here you are! Right where you belong!! You can do this! No looking back only forward!
IP is my way of life now. I'm never going back to the old me.
You'll be at goal in no time!!! You've got this! :hug:

Im escaping 01-16-2013 10:24 PM

How incredibly generous of you to share that with us. Thank you.

Alma4343 01-16-2013 10:36 PM

:hug::hug:

Thank you so much for sharing your letter. It is a great reminder and a really good motivator to remember dieting is EASIER than living feeling bad about yourself. Good luck to you.

MSEMDEE 01-16-2013 11:38 PM

Thank you for being brave enough to share the letter with us.

Yesmyqueen 01-16-2013 11:53 PM

Thank you for sharing your letter with us, how those words remind me of those exact feelings, now gone, thanks to this new way of life and all the support here it's great reminders like this that keep us strong!

candowilldo 01-17-2013 03:16 AM

Thank you for sharing your letter. I have taken your advice and written one for myself. I've made a couple of copies and put one into my food journal and one in my purse for easy access. Good luck with finishing your weightloss journey. I'm just starting!

kileymed13 01-17-2013 07:29 AM

Thank you for sharing your letter. The support offered here on 3fc helps me get through the tough days. I will brew a cup of tea and sit and read when I am tempted to have an off plan snack. I always leave feeling better and with a good plan to move ahead.

Thank you again and best of luck with your reboot!

momat40 01-17-2013 08:14 AM

Riss,

I'm so glad you are back. Your words were always a source of constant encouragement on these boards.

You, from all people, have this and will make it. You have the determination.

ragdoll74 01-17-2013 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for sharing.

I can relate so much to your letter to yourself. When you used to start the daily thread, it would be a constant reminder that IP really works. You really inspired me to keep 100% to get to goal like you did.

MustangMolly 01-17-2013 08:35 AM

Hi Rissi, Remember the main thing we all share is that we are all human and make mistakes. I had a pretty good backslide myself, so I know what you are going through. All of us on 3FC will be here for you just like you were for so many. I'm not saying everyone should suffer a setback, but I do believe some people need that type of motivation to make a forever change.I sure found out that I did. The pictures of me looking good aren't from 15-20 years ago now...they are from last year and that helps motivate me. You can do this, we know, we watched you do it!

Ishbel 01-17-2013 09:01 AM

Welcome back rissmo!! :hug:

Weight is a life long balancing act and as long as you keep going you'll be great...chin up grasshoppah! You're awesome!

evepet 01-17-2013 09:30 AM

Hi rissimo. You got 'er done before, and I have every confidence in you that you'll get it done again. :hug:

I love your letter. I've had those same thoughts. Thx for sharing.

Nolawhodatchick 01-17-2013 10:50 AM

Thank you for sharing this. It touched me and it inspires me. Glad you are back here!