How Often To Use Collagen Products

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • I know there has been some debate about how often we can use the IP collagen products to help with loose skin issues as we all lose weight.

My coach has sent me this answer directly from IP:

USING COLLAGEN-RICH PROTEIN PACKETS

You can think of protein being much like sentences, which are long strings of letters, only protein is a long string of amino acids. The proteins we eat are broken down into their amino acids (the “letters”) by the digestive process, then absorbed and made available for building the proteins our own bodies need and want. To make all of the proteins we need for the body, we need the full range of amino acids, much as you need all of the letters of the alphabet to write your next novel.

The protein in the packets of Ideal Protein generally are those with a good range of amino acids, the broad range of ones we need. The exception to this rule are the two collagen-rich products, Raspberry Jelly Mix and Blueberry, Cranberry & Pomegranate Drink Mix. In these two products, the protein source is collagen and collagen is a protein with primarily just three amino acid constituents.

Although the collagen amino acids will be terrific for your skin, they are not providing the broad range of amino acids needed by your body for enzymes, body structures, messaging and a lot more. It’s fine to offset one of the many ‘broad spectrum’ packets every other day (one of the total 6 packets in two days), but to do so every day (one packet in three for each day) would be too limiting on your broad amino acid needs.

So, if you’re using one of those two products to offset one of your three daily packets…don’t do it more often than every other day. However, if you are concerned about your skin and want to give it some extra help for a while, there is no problem if you want to use one of those packets more often, as long as it is in addition to your usual three packets. To have the ‘extra’ protein in one of those products won’t be a problem for losing weight (they have very little carbohydrate content), nor are you going to ‘overdose’.

A final note has to do with the Chicken Noodle Soup. This product has collagen content that will be helpful to the skin. But, it also has protein content from whey. Importantly, whey is a wonderful protein from the point of view of its breadth of amino acid components. Thus, if you use the Chicken Noodle Soup, you don’t have to worry about limiting how often you use it.
  • Thank you for posting this! Very interesting. I like the collagen drink but haven't had it often because it's not as filling. Nice to know I can add it occasionally and not worry too much.
  • So, in a nutshell, the collagen packets can be a replacement every-other day or can be used more often (daily) as a fourth packet.
    Good to know.
    I wish the US had the collagen product that Canada has. Then it wouldn't be a packet issue at all.
  • Thank you for this very informative answer. I have seen conflicting info about this and am glad that you cleared up my lingering questions. I asked my coach and she said they were incomplete proteins but did not give any more info than that.

This site is wonderful!
  • Thanks for the official info and glad to say this matches closely with what my coach has told me. She also did research with her IP regional manager.

I haven't used many collagen packets in the past, but in Canada IP has the collagen supplement you can take too. I have started though using the jello every couple of days as a fourth packet. As I near maintenance, I have lots of loose skin issues. I track all my food on Fatsecret so I also try to coordinate the fourth packet with a lower calorie / fat / low extras day to keep my total intake under control. I know that isn't technically necessary to do when on IP but I'm preparing my thought process for other food in maintenance.
  • Thanks, for the info I appreciate the clarification

Does anyone have a list of the collagen products for Canada? KitKat??

I would like to start incorporating more, but like others have been a little confused...my coach is not on the super helpful side, which is why I love 3FC

Thanks
  • Quote: Thanks, for the info I appreciate the clarification

Does anyone have a list of the collagen products for Canada? KitKat??

I would like to start incorporating more, but like others have been a little confused...my coach is not on the super helpful side, which is why I love 3FC

Thanks
    The IP collagen products are the Blueberry Cran-granita drink, and the jello. Canada also has a collagen supplement in pill form.
  • Quote: The IP collagen products are the Blueberry Cran-granita drink, and the jello. Canada also has a collagen supplement in pill form.
    I have an IP collagen in a liquid form too. Add a tbsp to my evening glass of water.
  • Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at the shelves next week.

Scorbett & KitKat - you are both looking fantastic, btw
  • My WI person told me none of this!!!
  • Why doesn't the US have the pill & liquid collagen?
  • Ask the FDA
  • Bump for newbies!
  • I use alternatives, and am wondering how I can supplement with collagen. Are there alt. products we can use?
  • Very interesting stuff.... I was eating jello every night for my snack since I started pretty much back in late November... And have lost on average 4.3 lbs a week. I know everybody is different but it still interesting to think about. Regardless, this week I didn't buy jello so we'll see how I do next weigh in. if it's lower than normal then I'll probably go back to jello every day.