3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Your favorite alternatives (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273246-your-favorite-alternatives.html)

frd2all 01-12-2013 01:40 PM

Your favorite alternatives

I am looking for a good RTD chocolate shake alternative. Also, how about bars, does anyone use the supreme peanut butter and jelly bars?

I would like to know everyones favorite alternative.

RareBird 01-12-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frd2all (Post 4587329)
I am looking for a good RTD chocolate shake alternative. Also, how about bars, does anyone use the supreme peanut butter and jelly bars?

I would like to know everyones favorite alternative.

I use all alternatives, and I really like the EAS AdvantEDGE RTD drinks. I buy the chocolate fudge and heat them for "hot chocolate", and I like the vanilla also. They also have a rich dark chocolate and caramel I've yet to try, and I buy them at Target or Walmart. They have been recommended here as very comparable to IP RTDs.

I don't have a peanut butter and jelly bar to suggest, but if you like peanut butter and chocolate, Pure Protein makes ones that I think is delicious (also bought at Target or Walmart, and also recommended here as comparable to IP).

scorbett1103 01-12-2013 05:14 PM

There are several alternatives threads where favorites/recommendations have been discussed at length. You may want to browse through them and see if your question has been answered already :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ernatives.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...se-1-talk.html

bubbleblower 01-13-2013 09:27 AM

Hey scorbett ... Question for you since I know you've tried a number of the Syntrax Nectar products: I have tried a few of the cold drinks and found that they tasted great and dissolved quite easily, even without a shaker. However, I tried the Latte this morning, mixing it with espresso and hot water and I can't say it tasted great (nothing like the IP cappuccino) and it was extremely lumpy despite a lot of stirring. I'm wondering if I just got a old packet since it seems so inconsistent with what's been reported here.

TIA.

scorbett1103 01-13-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbleblower (Post 4588167)
Hey scorbett ... Question for you since I know you've tried a number of the Syntrax Nectar products: I have tried a few of the cold drinks and found that they tasted great and dissolved quite easily, even without a shaker. However, I tried the Latte this morning, mixing it with espresso and hot water and I can't say it tasted great (nothing like the IP cappuccino) and it was extremely lumpy despite a lot of stirring. I'm wondering if I just got a old packet since it seems so inconsistent with what's been reported here.

TIA.

Weird - I had picked up a packet of the cappuccino and didn't have an issue with dissolving, but I grabbed another one, I'll try it out today or tomorrow and see if it gets lumpy, maybe I got lucky with my first packet - I'll let you know!

bubbleblower 01-13-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4588743)
Weird - I had picked up a packet of the cappuccino and didn't have an issue with dissolving, but I grabbed another one, I'll try it out today or tomorrow and see if it gets lumpy, maybe I got lucky with my first packet - I'll let you know!

Thanks! I have a few more I can check as well. This morning, I made it by adding it to espresso and hot water. Maybe it would work better if I mixed it cold and then heated it in the microwave afterward.

scorbett1103 01-13-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbleblower (Post 4588755)
Thanks! I have a few more I can check as well. This morning, I made it by adding it to espresso and hot water. Maybe it would work better if I mixed it cold and then heated it in the microwave afterward.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe not enough liquid? I have that problem sometimes with other packets - I like to mix the Cocomint Creme pudding/shake mix with coffee to make a Peppermint Mocha, but unless I use at least 12-14oz of coffee it gets a little lumpy.

bubbleblower 01-13-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4588760)
The only other thing I can think of is maybe not enough liquid? I have that problem sometimes with other packets - I like to mix the Cocomint Creme pudding/shake mix with coffee to make a Peppermint Mocha, but unless I use at least 12-14oz of coffee it gets a little lumpy.

Don't think that was it. I put the two shots of espresso and then added hot water to fill a large coffee mug. All in all, I'd say it was about 12 ounces of liquid.

ETA: I just went back to double check the date on the other packets I have and they're in 2015. No guarantee that was the case for the one this morning (and the envelope went out in the trash pickup this morning), but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.

cactusflower 01-13-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4587582)
There are several alternatives threads where favorites/recommendations have been discussed at length. You may want to browse through them and see if your question has been answered already :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ernatives.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...se-1-talk.html

Thanks for posting these scorbett!

There really are some great "closed" threads that I have found with some research :) Just takes time to look around and take notes!

Bellamack 01-13-2013 07:12 PM

I love love love the Supreme Peanut Butter & Jelly. Healthsmart also has a peanut butter and jelly bar and it is excellent.

I use Muscle Milk Lite chocolate RTD in the morning over ice with cold pressed flavored coffee and I like it. I just ordered and recieved in one day the Nectar Chocolate Truffle, has great reviews. I keep on hand a couple flavors of the EAS shakes ( WalMart, Sams or Target) There is also a chocolate crispy (Nestle crunch type) bar from Proti that I keep in the house at all times. lol. Like Scorbett said check out the alternative links for some great products and reviews.

gazelle 01-13-2013 07:22 PM

I love the Pure Protein bars, especially the chocolate peanut butter and chocolate caramel peanut. They are "restricted" just like the IP bars. I also use the Proti Diet hot chocolate with my coffee every morning to make a "mocha latte". I also have several other products from Proti Diet and they seem very similar to the IP. I like the Proti Diet oatmeals better than the IP and they are not considered "restricted". Same goes for the Proti Diet honey nut cereal. All of the things I have tried are because I got ideas from the threads. I definitely think it is worth taking the time over the next weeks reading through them!

scorbett1103 01-16-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbleblower (Post 4588768)
Don't think that was it. I put the two shots of espresso and then added hot water to fill a large coffee mug. All in all, I'd say it was about 12 ounces of liquid.

ETA: I just went back to double check the date on the other packets I have and they're in 2015. No guarantee that was the case for the one this morning (and the envelope went out in the trash pickup this morning), but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.

OK so I had the Syntrax cappuccino last night - it mixed up fine, no lumps and made a nice creamy layer on the top. I used about 8oz hot coffee to make it up. The only thing that comes to mind is that I put the mix in the bottom of the cup and then add the coffee - sometimes with other mixes if I add the packet to the liquid that's when I have lumps. Hope that helps!

bubbleblower 01-16-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4593690)
OK so I had the Syntrax cappuccino last night - it mixed up fine, no lumps and made a nice creamy layer on the top. I used about 8oz hot coffee to make it up. The only thing that comes to mind is that I put the mix in the bottom of the cup and then add the coffee - sometimes with other mixes if I add the packet to the liquid that's when I have lumps. Hope that helps!

Yep, that helps! I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

LosingLawyer 01-17-2013 05:02 PM

I had the exact same problem as bubbleblower when I added by syntrax nectar packet to the water (I was making a hot chocolate with the chocolate truffle packet), instead of pouring out the packet first and then adding water to it.

bubbleblower 01-17-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosingLawyer (Post 4595128)
I had the exact same problem as bubbleblower when I added by syntrax nectar packet to the water (I was making a hot chocolate with the chocolate truffle packet), instead of pouring out the packet first and then adding water to it.

Yep, tried it the way scorbett indicated, putting the packet first, and it mixed just fine. And tasted great!

scorbett1103 01-17-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbleblower (Post 4595410)
Yep, tried it the way scorbett indicated, putting the packet first, and it mixed just fine. And tasted great!

Yay! I am definitely putting out the money for the big tub of the cappuccino, I will be using that one long into maintenance!

LosingLawyer 01-17-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4595426)
Yay! I am definitely putting out the money for the big tub of the cappuccino, I will be using that one long into maintenance!

I'm going to have to order a sample packet of that one. So far I've tried the chocolate truffle and the fuzzy navel (both were great). I have samples of the double stuffed cookie and the vanilla one to try. I'm going to buy a big tub of whichever one i like best - less carbs than the EAS shake and it's not soy!

djs06 01-17-2013 09:21 PM

Where are you ladies finding the packets? I can only find the huge tubs and I'd rather try first!

scorbett1103 01-17-2013 09:26 PM

My local nutrition store sells the single serving Grab & Go packets of Syntrax Nectar individually, so I can buy the ones I want or try flavors out. Nashua Nutrition sells the boxes of Grab & Go packets but not mix & match.

I found this site that sells a sampler pack of 11 flavors:

http://www.bestpricenutrition.com/sy...-11-packs.html

psjones 01-17-2013 09:31 PM

Nashua sells individual packets. Go to the Nectar Grab N Go (12 servings) and look for the link in the text where it says TRY BEFORE YOU BUY Purchase a single-sized portion of this protein powder to try before buying the larger size. Simply click here and select the preferred flavor from the dropdown box.

bubbleblower 01-17-2013 09:33 PM

I bought my individual packets at Nashua's site. Go to the page and then click "Try before you buy."

scorbett1103 01-17-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbleblower (Post 4595470)
I bought my individual packets at Nashua's site. Go to the page and then click "Try before you buy."

I missed that! Awesome!

bubbleblower 01-17-2013 09:36 PM

Yep, comes in handy, especially for trying lots of different flavors!

djs06 01-17-2013 10:01 PM

That's awesome, thanks!

Bellamack 01-17-2013 10:07 PM

I recently got the big tub of chocolate truffle and it is yummy!

SpittenImage 01-31-2013 08:09 PM

Got my shipment of Nashua last week (loving EVERYTHING), but I got a sample bar: Peanut butter pretzel bar Weight loss systems version and it was absolutely divine! Tastes like a payday candy bar BUT it was almost too divine...so I checked the nutrition online (after eating it completely of course):

Serving Size: 1 Bar (40g)
Servings Per Container: 7
Calories 160
Calories from Fat 45
Total Fat5g
Saturated Fat1g
Trans. Fat0g
Cholesterol0mg
Sodium260mg
Potassium90mg
Total Carbohydrate21g
Dietary Fiber3g
Sugars10g
Sugar Alcohols<1g
Protein 10g

Doctorblue 01-31-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpittenImage (Post 4615994)
Peanut butter pretzel bar Weight loss systems version and it was absolutely divine!

Unfortunately it's not on plan. Too many carbs and not enough protein. So, don't order a box of them!

IrishLass59 03-02-2013 01:47 PM

Looking for a SW Cheese Curl alternative

Anyone find really good alternative to these tasty snacks?

lisa32989 03-02-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishLass59 (Post 4652417)
Anyone find really good alternative to these tasty snacks?

Nope. But I had to give them up when I went soy/gluten free for medical reasons.
I'm using Simply Chips now.
My go-to bar is Quest bars. I'm counting them as restricted due to calories, although some have low enough carb/fat counts to be non. I'm finding some are making me crave sweets more. I'll end up buying the ones I'm least fond of...on purpose!

Nashua sells a Health Smart brand protein puff that might be similar to the SW curls. I was going to order it and then dropped soy & gluten