Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I apologize if I was not clear. I am not suggesting the metabolic pathway for conversion does not exist I am saying that in humans it is almost never utilized. (It is not utilized because it is so expensive metablically). Like I said - you need to go research lipogenesis. Bottom line is that when it comes to energy we're very efficient. You can theorize about a possible senario where someone consumes 500g of protein a day (and nothing else) and yes eventually the body will convert it but in the real world this doesn't happen.

In the big picture - even the theory of potential conversion is irrelevant because in a hypocaloric context fat is going to be utilized as fuel and not stored.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #17  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Too much protein does not cause any problems health wise except in those people who have abnormal kidney function. This is in the short term. Long term we don't know.
Actually this is not correct. Eating an excessive amount of protein can cause kidney stones, and yes there is research to back up the correlation between high meat protein intake and kidney stones. It won't cause kidney disease or failure, but it can cause issues.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #18  

So excess meat intake will not affect ketosis or turn to fat? That is the crux of my inquiry. I don't intend to gorge myself, but a little extra meat at lunch would be nice, along with an IP packet. Either way, I don't want to hinder my progress thus far.
markhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #19  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Actually this is not correct. Eating an excessive amount of protein can cause kidney stones, and yes there is research to back up the correlation between high meat protein intake and kidney stones. It won't cause kidney disease or failure, but it can cause issues.
Better check your sources of information. High protein intake does not cause kidney stones except in people predisposed to getting kidney stones in which case one should limit protein intake. Thus - people who are suseptible to getting kidney stones should limit their protein intake.

Regarding the research ... correlation is not causation ... of course there is a correlation between the two. If you're predisposed to getting kidney stones and you're eating a high protein diet you're more likely to get them and if you're not on a high protein diet you're less likely to get them. Thus there is a very high correlation between diet and people who get kidney stones ... but if you're not predisposed ... then you're not.

This is similar to salt and high blood pressure. For a long time it was "common knowledge" that salt was a contributing factor because if you reduce salt enough you lower BP in everyone. However, turns out only some people are "salt sensative" and in those people salt can contribute to high BP. For those who are not, it doesn't.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhenry View Post
So excess meat intake will not affect ketosis or turn to fat? That is the crux of my inquiry. I don't intend to gorge myself, but a little extra meat at lunch would be nice, along with an IP packet. Either way, I don't want to hinder my progress thus far.
Mark: choosing to not follow the program as written may affect your losses/progress.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #21  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhenry View Post
Calories dictate fat loss or gain. If you eat more meat, but fewer IP packets, and the caloric intake is the same than the fat loss will be the same. Just adding more meat to your diet will increase your calories and slow your fat loss.

The rest of the things we've been "discussing" don't have anything to do with your question.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

I used to eat more meat and it didn't affect my losses. try it. If it affects your losses then just go back to eating 8Oz.
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

About 8 inches of meat is too much...ba da bing...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Haha new englander, you're a dirty girl!
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna View Post
Haha new englander, you're a dirty girl!
I'm not dirty I just took my weekly shower!

Seriously, how much meat is too much??? It's a loaded question on these boards.

I'm the youngest of five and the joker...not usually dirty ~

Last edited by New Englander; 01-06-2013 at 09:10 PM.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #26  

Height: 5'4"

Hehehe! New Englander: you funny!
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #27  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

I was just looking up kidney stones for another purpose, but thought I would share that at the Mayo site or the NIH site (or wherever my search took me) they said excessive protein that leads to kidneys stones means 200 grams a day. We're pretty far from that on IP - closer to 100 grams.

However, there is also a correlation with calcium taken in pill form verses calcium taken as part of food, especially in post-menopausal women who tend to take a lot of calcium pills. I can't follow all the medical jargon, but the main point I took away from the research is drink a lot of water every day and that is the best way to avoid kidney stones.

Last edited by Fishette; 01-06-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #28  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
I was just looking up kidney stones for another purpose, but thought I would share that at the Mayo site or the NIH site (or wherever my search took me) they said excessive protein that leads to kidneys stones means 200 grams a day. We're pretty far from that on IP - closer to 100 grams.
If you're predisposed to kidney stones 100g is plenty to get you kidney stones. As always - there are many factors but genetics is the big one, not diet.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 250?/146.6/160?

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post

However, there is also a correlation with calcium taken in pill form verses calcium taken as part of food, especially in post-menopausal women who tend to take a lot of calcium pills. I can't follow all the medical jargon, but the main point I took away from the research is drink a lot of water every day and that is the best way to avoid kidney stones.
Thanks, Fishette! Glad I love water.

And loved your comment, NewEnglander!
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #30  
Started IP: Sept 19/12

Also be aware of what meats you are eating. Sausage and sandwich meat aren't usually allowed. And when doing eggs in the morning, maybe try just egg whites (or one egg).

My hubby did the diet and followed the sheet as is and I believed averaged 3-4lbs a week. He would sometimes have a bit of protein at lunch to help.

For me I used to get more hungry that I do now. At first I felt like I needed more protein at lunch, where now I don't even notice and have it all at supper time.
tunafish246 is offline   Reply With Quote