Old 12-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/233.7/220

Height: 5"11

Default Vegetable Soup

Anyone have a good vegetable soup recipe? I'm still in P1, but the recipe doesn't have to be strick phase 1 friendly. I just need to get better. I lost 7.1 lbs in a week and I know it was mostly due to not having an appetite for a few days... I've done pretty bad on veggies this week.

Last edited by az365; 12-24-2012 at 12:52 PM.
az365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by az365 View Post
Anyone have a good vegetable soup recipe? I'm still in P1, but the recipe doesn't have to be strick phase 1 friendly. I just need to get better. I lost 7.1 lbs in a week and I know it was mostly due to not having an appetite for a few days... I've done pretty back on veggies this week.
I just nursed myself from a pretty bad cold (still have remnants).

I made chicken soup. You could eat the meat & veggies for dinner & just veggies/broth for lunch by keeping the meat separate.

I bought a whole chicken and roasted it (could bypass by buying rotisserie chicken).

After roasting, take off all meat from chicken. Put carcass in pot with water (enough to cover carcass) & veggie scraps (I save em in the freezer just for making broth) & some salt/pepper to season.

Boil 30 mins then simmer til bones begin to soften
Strain off bones/remnants from carcass & voila - healthy broth! (or, just buy a box of chicken broth, but this way is healthier! - or do both...some broth for now and the carcass broth for later)

Choose Select veggies you want in your soup. I used celery, leeks, bok choy (leaves and all!).
Chop/measure veggies (so you know how many servings you have in your soup). Put in pot with broth. Season. (I used garlic powder, old bay, poultry seasoning, garlic pepper, garlic salt). Cook until veggies are done.

Clean skin off chicken meat. Either store meat in fridge to add to soup for dinner or chop and put in soup with veggies (depending on whether you are making extra soup to eat just with the veggies).

This worked wonderfully for me for chicken soup for 2 meals (16 oz of chicken meat from the whole chicken). And I made extra to just have broth/veggies. Sounds good. Might have for lunch today!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #3  

Hey AZ - you could buy veggie stock at the store and then throw in whatever veggie you would like. Im in a healing pahse as well and am not too worried about what veggie is restricted and what is not. I even put carrots in mine. I have to go on a high fiber diet for a few days as well. Just found out from my nurse who is also on IP that IP is not a fiber friendly diet. Shoulda figured that one out on my own!! I will deal with being off of IP but it isn't easy. You have to deal with getting healthy first and do whatever it takes to get better
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #4  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

I am constantly making and eating this soup, and haven't got sick of it. I think it's delicious! It's slightly modified version of a typical cabbage soup recipe from a "cabbage soup diet" (which is a bad diet as it doesn't allow hardly any protein, but the soup is delicious regardless ).

- bunch of green onion (or 1 or 2 stalks of leeks)
- bunch of celery
- small cabbage or half of big one
- about 2-3 green peppers (colour won't make difference in taste, so use whichever colour of peppers you like, but green is the lowest in carbs I think)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (I know this is a 2 times per week item, but it does add more delisciousness to the soup, however it is not necessary if you are very strict IP)
- I love and adore dill weed and cut up a whole bunch, and sometimes add a cut up bunch of parsley (which I also like). As far as my taste goes, a soup must have dill weed. And lots of it.
- Stock: beef or chicken will work. I use one called "O organics" (in Canada) as that one seems to have the lowest carb and fat in my grocery store. I live in a smallish town, so bigger centers may have other or even better choices... You can add extra stock in powder to make it stronger tasting...

All these vegetables don't need long to cook, when they are soft, it's done.

This will make a huge pot, so adjust all amounts if you want to make smaller pot.

Hope you enjoy this one.

Last edited by learning to fly; 12-24-2012 at 04:14 PM.
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/233.7/220

Height: 5"11

Thanks everyone! I'm trying this out tonight!
az365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #6  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
I am constantly making and eating this soup, and haven't got sick of it. I think it's delicious! It's slightly modified version of a typical cabbage soup recipe from a "cabbage soup diet" (which is a bad diet as it doesn't allow hardly any protein, but the soup is delicious regardless ).

- bunch of green onion (or 1 or 2 stalks of leeks)
- bunch of celery
- small cabbage or half of big one
- about 2-3 green peppers (colour won't make difference in taste, so use whichever colour of peppers you like, but green is the lowest in carbs I think)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (I know this is a 2 times per week item, but it does add more delisciousness to the soup, however it is not necessary if you are very strict IP)
- I love and adore dill weed and cut up a whole bunch, and sometimes add a cut up bunch of parsley (which I also like). As far as my taste goes, a soup must have dill weed. And lots of it.
- Stock: beef or chicken will work. I use one called "O organics" (in Canada) as that one seems to have the lowest carb and fat in my grocery store. I live in a smallish town, so bigger centers may have other or even better choices... You can add extra stock in powder to make it stronger tasting...

All these vegetables don't need long to cook, when they are soft, it's done.

This will make a huge pot, so adjust all amounts if you want to make smaller pot.

Hope you enjoy this one.
Thanks for posting this recipe. When I read the original post, I recalled that I used to make this soup from time to time and found it quite tasty. But I'd forgotten exactly what was in it. I've been thinking that veggie soup would be a useful way to get the veggies in. Especially in our colder weather now - a hot bowl of soup at lunch and dinner sounds quite satisfying.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks for posting this learning to fly. This will be great for bringing to work for lunch in the very cold weather.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote