Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #106  

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
That's how I felt at first! Then it became routine.
Congrats on the foray into cooking.
Thanks Lisa. Since I eat out everyday for lunch, I think I have enough in my freezer to last me several weeks. If I only have to do this once or twice a month, it won't be that bad.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #107  
Reboot May 29, 2017

S/C/G: 250/250/180

Height: 5.4

Wanted to steam some veggies for lunch and mix it with a soup. Had never tried Broccoli Rabe-Rappini before and thought I'd try it. I steamed 2 cups of it, along with some red onions, pureed it, then mixed it with a Tomatoe Soup.

YUCK What the heck IS that stuff??? Did I prepare it wrong? Ain't buying that vegetable again!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #108  

Peppertown - not too sure what the veggie is but since you "enjoyed" it so much I think I will cross it off of my list as well. Now I have to Google it to figure out what this veggie is!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #109  

Broccoli rabe- it is related to and tastes like a turniip. It is sometimes called chinese broccoli...yeah I'll take your word and skip this one
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #110  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepperTown View Post
Wanted to steam some veggies for lunch and mix it with a soup. Had never tried Broccoli Rabe-Rappini before and thought I'd try it. I steamed 2 cups of it, along with some red onions, pureed it, then mixed it with a Tomatoe Soup.

YUCK What the heck IS that stuff??? Did I prepare it wrong? Ain't buying that vegetable again!!!
LOL yeah Broccoli Rabe tastes nothing like broccoli It's actually not bad sauteed with garlic and EVOO, but yeah I don't imagine it would taste good mixed with the tomato soup.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #111  
Started IP 4/23/12

S/C/G: 232/129/132

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
Beck81,
Congrats on making goal! Your pictures are amazing, you are an inspiration!
Thank you, Chloe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
OMG - Old Navy is soooooo addictive!!!! I went in to return a shirt and ended up with a ton of stuff...at great prices of course. I should post a pic of my receipt. I found a pair of jeans for $0.97, unfortunately they were size 8 (too big), but I pointed them out to someone else and they snagged them. Sandals for $3.25, sweater for $5.30, shirt for $4.50...you know, the usual ON deals! Found a neat headband & knit cap that both have built in headphones along with fleece gloves that can be used for smart phones - great combo for running outside! Everything I buy there has a red tag (clearance)...and always use my 10% off survey coupon.
I went to Old Navy yesterday Liz and bought a pair of Diva boot cut jeans in size 6 that I love. Bought some other sale items too. My husband asked me what made me decide to go to Old Navy and I said because Liz on 3fc goes there all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Texan View Post
Well I made the Mushroom/Garlic Puree today. It turned out great and tasted fantastic. Can't wait to try it on stuff. Chicken and beef all cut up and bagged into 4oz baggies, flattened for freezer space. Veggies all chopped up and measured out for the week. I need to go back to work to get some rest
You're rocking this now A1! It gets even easier.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Texan View Post
Chicken and beef all cut up and bagged into 4oz baggies, flattened for freezer space. Veggies all chopped up and measured out for the week. I need to go back to work to get some rest
Great job! I love coming home and having everything ready like that.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #113  

Thanks for the welcome! I had a brutal afternoon. Stayed 100% on plan, but thought I was going to lose it. I always have an issue between 2-4pm normally, I hope it gets easier during that time! My husband kept me on track, but he goes back to work on the 2nd, and I'm on my own! Hopefully, it'll be good by then.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #114  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
LOL yeah Broccoli Rabe tastes nothing like broccoli It's actually not bad sauteed with garlic and EVOO, but yeah I don't imagine it would taste good mixed with the tomato soup.
My thought exactly! I *love* it with EVOO and garlic, though!!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #115  
Reboot May 29, 2017

S/C/G: 250/250/180

Height: 5.4

AAAMom
How do you know when you're in ketosis?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #116  

Default Ketosis

Quote:
I googled to find you a good answer:

Early Stages
Ketosis symptoms change depending how long you've been in the state. In the early stages of ketosis, the symptoms may be a bit unpleasant. However, as your body adapts to the presence of ketones in the bloodstream, symptoms lessen and change. Early ketosis symptoms usually last for several days or up to a week in some people. This typically continues until the body is used to burning fat instead of glucose. After the several days, the levels of ketones in the body will lessen, but that does not mean you are no longer losing weight. It simply means your body has found a balance and is no longer producing excess ketones.

Early stage symptoms include the following:
Tiredness or fatigue
Headache
Feeling thirsty all the time
Dry mouth
Ketosis breath, which smells vaguely fruity and not terribly pleasant
Metallic taste in the mouth, particularly on the back of the tongue near the molars
Weakness
Dizziness
Nausea or stomach ache
Sleep problems
Cold hands and feet
Frequent urination

Ongoing States
As your body adapts to ketones, your symptoms may change or abate altogether. If you are using ketosis strips, your urine may still show ketones present, although probably in far lower concentrations. This is nothing to worry about. The amount of ketones in your urine does not correlate to the rate of weight loss.

As your body adapts to ketones, you may notice the following:

A "buzzed" feeling
Increased energy
Normalized urination frequency
Better sleep
Euphoria
Clear thinking

Sometimes low-carb dieters never seem to reach ketosis, or at least never have the urine test strips indicate excess ketones. This could be because exercising has used up the excess ketones or the urine is diluted from drinking a lot of water. This doesn't mean these people aren't burning fat, just that they aren't registering on the strips as being in ketosis.

Dealing with Ketosis Symptoms

Ketosis is a common part of low-carb dieting, but it isn't always a pleasant one. If you find yourself having trouble getting through this period, there are some things you can try that might ease symptoms:

Snack regularly. Having a protein-rich snack like a piece of chicken may ease the headache and other symptoms.
Take vitamins and minerals. Especially with the lack of fruits and vegetables on a low-carb diet, it's vital to take a good vitamin and mineral supplement to keep your body in a healthy balance.
Try a protein shake. Protein shakes with amino acid supplements can also be helpful for reducing symptoms of ketosis and easing this transition. Many different kinds of amino drinks are available and often are marketed to body builders.
Drink plenty of water, which will freshen breath and keep you hydrated.

Is Ketosis Dangerous?
Some suggest ketosis is an unhealthy condition. Studies show differently, however. A 1983 study published in Metabolism showed ketosis was well-tolerated. Another study in the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism in 2002 showed ketosis had a positive effect on blood fats and did not increase risk of cardiovascular disease.

Ketosis Is a Signal
The most important thing to remember is that the unpleasant ketosis symptoms are temporary and will pass within a week or so. Try to focus on the fact that this less-than-perfect feeling is just a sign that you are burning fat and well on your way to losing weight.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #117  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
Well - you asked...here is a formula I came up with to help me 'empirically determine' my goal weight. I based it off of body fat percentage (but remember the readings from coach's machines and scales have an approximate +/-5% variance, so not perfect). In P1 I typically kept the exact same routine during WI days (and pretty much most days, dinner protein & veggies varied though), so that I had a minimal variance in my WIs (besides TOM, hormones, etc).

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4433238-post40.html

This "New Total" is based on the Desired BF% and assumes a 75%Fat:25%Lean Mass Loss ratio. Of course this can be tweaked if measures are taken to increase lean mass, etc. (weightlifting)

Given: Old Total and Old BF%
What is the New Total based on Desired BF%?

Initial Fat = Old Total * Old BF%

Loss = (Initial Fat - Desired BF% * Old Total) / (0.75 - Desired BFP%)

New Total = Old Total - Loss

Interesting. If my calculations are correct, I came up with 140, which actually was a pretty comfortable weight for me. I may end up adjusting mine up a bit from where I have it set now, but figured I'd put it at the minimum I thought I'd be comfortable with and then adjusting upward from there if necessary. I know if I go too small I'll start having issues with finding clothing that fits since I have long arms and legs. (Then again, I feel like I still have much further to go than ten more pounds before I get to that point!)

Thanks for the formula. Makes sense!

Last edited by bubbleblower; 12-30-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #118  

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
AAAMom
I bought ketone stix at cvs. They'll give you a good indication.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #119  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAMom View Post
I bought ketone stix at cvs. They'll give you a good indication.
Actually a lot of folks on IP don't get anything registering on ketostix due to all the water we drink! Glad it worked for you, AAAMom!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #120  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Ugh...my son just threw up all over his bed, then in the tub. He is tucked in with clean sheets & pj's...momma is going to sleep
Closed Thread