Old 12-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

Default Rutabega v. Swede

Does anyone know the difference between a rutabega and a swede? On the approved foods, rutabega is an allowed veggie and swede is an occasional veggie. Google research (yes, truly scientific) shows these terms are interchangeable -- so is it select or occasional??

Thank you!
Debrasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

THAT is very interesting. I never noticed Swede was on the occasional list, but yes the terms are interchangable - Rutabaga is also known as a Swedish Turnip, or Swede. The nutritional info is on the higher end of the allowable veggies but is in line with jicama (mexican turnip or yambean).

rutabaga (per 1 cup) - 50 calories, 11g carbs, 4g dietary fiber
jicama (per 1 cup) - 46 calories, 11g carbs, 6g dietary fiber

I would say use your judgement, if you have it more than a few times a week, keep an eye on what your body does - if you notice a drop in losses or if you feel bloated afterward, you may need to treat it as an occasional veg. I probably go through 2 rutabagas a week, I also eat jicama very regularly, and I haven't seen any change in my losses.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

Thank you for this. I only investigated b/c I made mashed rutabega with cinnamon and stevia last nite and it was so yummy I figured it was too good to be true. I definitely see that I'm super sensitive to higher carb veggies, so this will have to be a special occasion one for me.

Thanks again!
Debrasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #4  
Beth

S/C/G: 244/204/170

Height: 5'7"/25yo

Wow, good eye! I have been on a rutabaga kick for the last week or so. Literally have been having rutabaga "fries" (although I cut them to be more thick and like chips), every day. I've consistently lost weight eating them every day. Should be noted that I drink more water than suggested, and also don't eat any lettuce during the day. Literally my meal is 4 cups of rutabaga.

I wonder why they're on two different lists.. hmmm....
whytokay is offline   Reply With Quote