Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/222/215

Height: 6'0"

Default First ' cheat day"

Ok full sugar rush...wow... is all i can say i had to try it, just some fresh donuts from a local bakery... and the shakes and light headed, so my thought is what do we sugar addicts do to our bodies? i know next week i will not be as quick to 'donut it up" If i make it, it's kinda like being half stoned and half drunk
Not good
paulfromport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #2  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

I'm chuckling, but also learning a great lesson from your experience at the same time. I hope to be in maintenance by Christmas or there abouts, so am absorbing as much as I can for P4!

Be careful driving!!!!
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/158/120

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

I had a planned cheat over the past weekend for a wedding and good friend's birthday. I didn't go crazy, but I did have a cupcake at the wedding! And the lowest calorie alcohol I could drink -- vodka and diet. Firstly, I got drunk very quickly, and secondly, what a sugar rush from that cupcake!

It was kind of nice to have that weekend, though. It wasn't difficult at all to go back OP come that Tuesday. I had indulged a little, and was ready to get started again.
NoirStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #4  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

One of my friend goes to a clinic called Nuviva for his weight loss. He has been going for about a month now and they just told him to do a cheat meal (1 meal where he can eat whatever he wants, and it should be at least 1000 calories). The purpose of it, according to the note they gave him, was to increase the Lepetin hormone in his body so that he avoids hitting a plateau. I was kinda surprised by this, since I have been on my diet plan for about three months now and have not hit any plateau so far.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
One of my friend goes to a clinic called Nuviva for his weight loss. He has been going for about a month now and they just told him to do a cheat meal (1 meal where he can eat whatever he wants, and it should be at least 1000 calories). The purpose of it, according to the note they gave him, was to increase the Lepetin hormone in his body so that he avoids hitting a plateau. I was kinda surprised by this, since I have been on my diet plan for about three months now and have not hit any plateau so far.
Overfeeding on a short period of time does increase leptin in the body but for the vast majority of obese people this doesn't make any significant difference to leptin levels because they aren't low in the first place.

Also, leptin levels don't affect fat loss. They do play a large role in appetite though. (Again - doesn't matter with very large people)

For many people thought the occasional free meal or free day is very helpful for psychological reasons.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
Yes, the clinic is correct in that the cheat meal will increase the leptin blood level in the body. When one is on a low calorie diet for too long your leptin blood levels will decrease because of the fat lost since leptin's origin is the fat cell, and when fat is lost the leptin levels will decrease. When the brain gets the red flag that leptin is decreasing it will start to slow down your metabolism. Your brain doesn't want you to starve. Bottom line is the more fat we lose the more difficult the fat becomes to lose which would explain why losing those last 20 pounds or so can be so difficult. However just one day of overfeeding will bring the leptin levels back up to baseline. That's why you so often hear of someone who has plateaued or the scale is moving at a snail's pace and after just one cheat day the scale will start to move again. Of course this means the very next day you have to go right back to your low calorie diet to reap the rewards. This works as long as one is psychologically ready to make the commitment to hop right back on the low cal wagon once the cheat day has passed.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
Yes, the clinic is correct in that the cheat meal will increase the leptin blood level in the body. When one is on a low calorie diet for too long your leptin blood levels will decrease because of the fat lost since leptin's origin is the fat cell, and when fat is lost the leptin levels will decrease. When the brain gets the red flag that leptin is decreasing it will start to slow down your metabolism. Your brain doesn't want you to starve. Bottom line is the more fat we lose the more difficult the fat becomes to lose which would explain why losing those last 20 pounds or so can be so difficult. However just one day of overfeeding will bring the leptin levels back up to baseline. That's why you so often hear of someone who has plateaued or the scale is moving at a snail's pace and after just one cheat day the scale will start to move again. Of course this means the very next day you have to go right back to your low calorie diet to reap the rewards. This works as long as one is psychologically ready to make the commitment to hop right back on the low cal wagon once the cheat day has passed.
Your information is right but the context matters a lot. Leptin does play a role in metabolic slowdown but (big but here) again that the extent of leptin affecting anything depends to a great degree on the the body fat percentage of a given dieter. Going from 50% body fat to 40% body fat makes no practical difference. Going from 20% body fat to 10% makes an enormous difference.

Also, only overfeeding of carbohydrates increases leptin.

The reason this is important is if it was crucial to raise leptin levels they wouldn't tell him to eat whatever they would tell the dieter to make sure he eats a lot of carbohydrates. Over feeding fat and protein does not affect leptin levels. Eating a 1000 calorie meal would do little to leptin levels even in a leaner individual unless most of those calories were carbs.

Leptin does serve as an anti-starvation hormone so when the body notices that energy availability is insufficient, it shuts down what are non essential functions such as reproduction. This is why very lean women might suffer from amenorrhea and can benefit from leptin injections or week long refeeds. I haven't seen too many obese women who start dieting who have this problem. I've seen plenty of very lean women have this problem.

Context matters.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #8  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

paulfromport (doughnut) and NoirStories (cupcake)......................

Just curious..... had either of you ever felt a "sugar rush" before IP when you were living on the all American diet of carbs OR do you think you only felt it now because you are in ketosis?

I don't know that I've ever felt a "sugar rush" because I've always been so toxic with carbs! I imagine it feels kind of weird.
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/158/120

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

I had a friend who ate a ton of candy and told me how they got such a crazy sugar rush... Id never remembered ever having one! But a month into IP and one cupcake and I was feeling lightheaded! I never really felt them when carbing out during the cheat -- it was just the cupcake that got me
NoirStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #10  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

Am really curious about the sugar rush. I start Phase 3 today and will be in maintenance in 2 weeks and I've been daydreaming about my first cheat day. My husband told me he had the sugar rush when he ate some cake at work (after phasing off the diet) and I wonder what my personal response will be. Is there a way to avoid the headache that comes with eating sugary food for the first time in a long time?
aliceinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8

re the plateau busting
all i get after a cheat is a week long stall :-(
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/222/215

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
paulfromport (doughnut) and NoirStories (cupcake)......................

Just curious..... had either of you ever felt a "sugar rush" before IP when you were living on the all American diet of carbs OR do you think you only felt it now because you are in ketosis?

I don't know that I've ever felt a "sugar rush" because I've always been so toxic with carbs! I imagine it feels kind of weird.
I had never had a sugar rush like that before, and i don't think it was ketosis as i have done phase 3 for two weeks and one week of 4, yes sir a full ' bad day" next week it will be a little less !! three months on IP 53 pounds down and Give me a pulpit i will preach IP !!
paulfromport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I had the same experience that you did, but in Phase 3, and with fruit!! I am in my second week of phase 3 now and adjusting to the sugar in fruit was really hard for me. I got crazy hyper for an hour or two the first few days after my P3 breakfasts. I wasn't able to eat my fruit one day, was too full on my omlet with toast, and I didn't get the weird loopy feeling. I was NEVER sensative to fruit before IP. My co-workers even asked me if I'd spiked my breakfast! I had to then explain that I hadn't had sugar in 5 months, and then they understood.

So now I am rethinking my phase 4 cheat day. I was planning on something full-fat and probably cheesy, but now I'm definately going to be lower on any sweets I have along with it. I guess some of us are more sensative to sugars and reintroducing them than others of us are.
sprite613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #14  
SMB

S/C/G: 205/189/140

Height: 5'4"

I had been on a plateau for 5 days, and had a cheat meal on Friday. Lo and behold, .5 pound weight loss the next day! Maybe it works for some of us and not others!
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 257/216/175

Height: 5'8"

Default 1st Post

This is my first post as I have been lurking for 10 weeks now. Some people are mean so I have not posted. I know technically we are not supposed to have "cheat days" on the protocol. I contemplated and I realized that an occassional cheat was ok for me. So in the past two months, I have had 2-3 cheat days. My weight loss has been 33lbs for these 10 weeks. I am satisfied with that. I was working with a coach and she shared with me that I should plan for my cheat days. I actually have used them to break plateaus.

This Friday I had a planned cheat day. I got on the scale and realized it hadn't moved all week. Then I tried on some jeans that were 3 sizes smaller than I wore 10 weeks ago. They zipped and buttoned. Yay... So I decided to just stay OP and forgo my cheat day. It was hard because my coworkers know that I am dieting and came in my class with doughnuts and kolaches!! They were gloating. I was gloating in the fact that all of them would be fat soon and I'm fitting a smaller pair of jeans. LOL. Well, needless to say since Friday, my scale has dropped 5 lbs just by allowing my body to play catch up.

Will I have another cheat day? Probably. I have 50 lbs to go and I have to make this diet livable for me.. My concern is not losing it quickly but keeping it off long term. But this past week I'm glad I stuck to program as it paid off majorly.
jesusgirl580 is offline   Reply With Quote