Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #16  

Hi all. This is also day one for me. I'm not doing IP with the packets, and I was wondering if anyone else here is doing that?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #17  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodia Pulchra View Post
Hi all. This is also day one for me. I'm not doing IP with the packets, and I was wondering if anyone else here is doing that?
Many of us do IP with "alternative" products (same basic idea as IP packets, different brands).
Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #18  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodia Pulchra View Post
Check out the stickies at the top of the IP page. Lots of great info there about alternatives. That's what I am using. Proto thin and proto diet from Nashua Nutrition dot com. I also use GNC's ready to drink total lean shakes.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #19  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Hard truth - cheating is going to cost you one way or the other. You are going to be setting yourself back if you decide to cheat, not just physically but MENTALLY. When you make a choice to cheat, you are letting the food/drink stay in charge of your decision making. Why do you "know" you won't be OP? If you have events to get through, we have ALL survived (and completely enjoyed) big events without going off plan - just in my case, I have stayed OP through three family parties, my 20th high school reunion, a summer BBQ (which was two weeks after I started the diet), Thanksgiving and Christmas. No cheats, I planned ahead and made sure I would be successful. I had a fantastic time every time, the food was never an issue and I was able to focus more on being with people and socializing.
Thanks for the input Scorbett! My concern is that we will be staying at other people's houses for 4 days and our plans are basically going to be spur of the moment, make it up as we go. I don't really know where we'll be at any given time so I'd have the have a large cooler full of veggies that I bring everywhere we go! Which may include 4 wheeling or snowmobiling out in the woods (and the guys will just fill themselves up on beer rather than food, LOL) If we go to restaurants then I know I can make good choices but I'm not sure if I will always have those options. I do realize that I will be setting myself back and ideally, if I could, I would not cheat but it may come down to either cheat or don't eat until I can get the right food. My willpower is great if I know I can eat something, but given the choice of starving for a few hours or eating off plan...

So my question is, if I don't stay 100% OP then is it worthwhile to do 50% OP or would I just be throwing $$ out the window?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #20  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskuby View Post
Thanks for the input Scorbett! My concern is that we will be staying at other people's houses for 4 days and our plans are basically going to be spur of the moment, make it up as we go. I don't really know where we'll be at any given time so I'd have the have a large cooler full of veggies that I bring everywhere we go! Which may include 4 wheeling or snowmobiling out in the woods (and the guys will just fill themselves up on beer rather than food, LOL) If we go to restaurants then I know I can make good choices but I'm not sure if I will always have those options. I do realize that I will be setting myself back and ideally, if I could, I would not cheat but it may come down to either cheat or don't eat until I can get the right food. My willpower is great if I know I can eat something, but given the choice of starving for a few hours or eating off plan...

So my question is, if I don't stay 100% OP then is it worthwhile to do 50% OP or would I just be throwing $$ out the window?
I totally understand what you're saying - snacking/meals are going to be more challenging when you aren't sure what your schedule is. But here's one thing you mentioned before that doesn't necessarily fit into the explanantion - drinking alcohol is NOT something you would be put out to avoid, yet you said it was something you planned to do. That alone (especially if you're talking about beer and wine, which have high carbs) will cause you to throw money out the window whether you eat every other meal perfectly or not. You won't starve if you don't drink
Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #21  

Thank you both! I appreciate the tips.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 192/148/150

Height: 5 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadu View Post
Happy Wednesday Everybody

Today is day 1 for me. I am looking forward to a new healthy me. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Joby: Happy B-day to your Daddy.
Good luck Cadu!! You can do this!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #23  
Reboot 9/2014

Holidays have not only been survived, they have gotten a righteous butt whupping. Just did my weigh in, I am down 3.4 pounds and 3/4 of an inch!!! HELLOOOO 160's!!!

That means:
-one pound until I get another reward bracelet
-eight pounds to goal
-three pounds from the weight I last maintained for several years before having kids!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #24  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
I totally understand what you're saying - snacking/meals are going to be more challenging when you aren't sure what your schedule is. But here's one thing you mentioned before that doesn't necessarily fit into the explanantion - drinking alcohol is NOT something you would be put out to avoid, yet you said it was something you planned to do. That alone (especially if you're talking about beer and wine, which have high carbs) will cause you to throw money out the window whether you eat every other meal perfectly or not. You won't starve if you don't drink
Haha! Touche! You are correct about the alcohol...I don't necessarily need it but I do expect I will indulge on New Year's eve. I am planning on picking up one of the Skinny Girl mixes to keep the carb count as low as possible. I really feel however that the food is going to be my real challenge since I can avoid drinking for 3 of the 4 days but I can't avoid eating! LOL

Hey, I just saw your post! Great job on the weight/inches lost!!

Last edited by mrskuby; 12-26-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #25  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

I just saw this on GNC's web site. I'm going to try one of each.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...9&clickid=cart

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...6&clickid=cart
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #26  

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks all for the suggestions and support. I will buy a blender and see what I can come up with. I will also attempt the puree's. Cooking is not something that I do or enjoy I had to take the plastic off the inside trays in the oven this weekend (after 4 years in the house). My friends told me to clean the inside so I don't set off the smoke alarms. LOL
Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #27  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Haha! Touche! You are correct about the alcohol...I don't necessarily need it but I do expect I will indulge on New Year's eve. I am planning on picking up one of the Skinny Girl mixes to keep the carb count as low as possible. I really feel however that the food is going to be my real challenge since I can avoid drinking for 3 of the 4 days but I can't avoid eating! LOL

Hey, I just saw your post! Great job on the weight/inches lost!!
LOL thanks!! I still can't believe this whole journey, it really is amazing how well the plan works!

That said... As far as eating on plan, don't forget you have flexibility to swap lunch and dinner if you will be eating out earlier in the day, or if it's easier to pack your protein meal for outings. Loading up on more "portable" foods (your one restricted per day can be bars/snacks to make it easier) and turning packets into portable meals (crispy cereal pancakes travel well, and the omelet can be made ahead of time too). And if you're going to be out, and have a water bottle with you, you can mix up any of the drink packets on the fly. Veggies can be tough, but unless you will be out of civilization completely there has to be a market or convenience store somewhere near where you will be so that you don't always have to tote everything with you. Can't tell you how many times I've gotten off schedule and ended up stopping at a supermarket for a whole cucumber (which is just about 2 cups).

Restaurants can be managed if you tell the server you are gluten-free and dairy free including butter. Meat can be dry-grilled or oil grilled, and they should be able to do some kind of steamed veggie for you. Someone even posted a while back that they ordered a bunless burger and a salad, and made a Big Mac Bowl on the fly!

The point is, it might seem impossible to stay on plan, and ultimately you are the only one who can weigh the pros and cons and make a decision - but it CAN be done
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadu View Post
Happy Wednesday Everybody

Today is day 1 for me. I am looking forward to a new healthy me. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Joby: Happy B-day to your Daddy.
Cadu,
Hello!! I'm also back today, day 1 again. Tomorrow I'll update my ticker. I regained about 16 pounds from my lowest IP weight over the past 4 months. I've tried rebooting a few times since September but lacked the discipline. Glad to see you back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
Carol it's on! I've been kinda half a$$ the last few months. I've stayed with in 10 pounds of my loss but I've been kinda playing loose with the protocol. I know we can do this. Lets jump start this together. I actually logged on this morning hoping to see you here!
Vet,
Glad to see you too! I was wondering this morning how you were doing as I was surfing around the boards here. Impressive that you only gained back 10 pounds or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Texan View Post
Good morning. Going into the end of week 3 I have found that I'm starting to loose interest in veggies. The thought of eating more broccoli and zucchini is starting to repulse me. Last night I had rump roast but couldn't even do a salad. I would rather drink all my meals. This week I plan on making a Shepard's Pie with the cauliflower but I'm running out of options. I have never been a big veggie person to begin with so my choices are limited.

Anyone else having problems with this?
Like others said, the veggie purees keep things interesting. Re juicing, there are essentially 2 types. An extractor/centrifugal juicer takes out fiber, masticating juicers don't (such as a Vitamix). I have both and would use the Vitamix to keep all the fiber. My model is quite old (13-14 years), works like a charm, but noisy. However, the quality of the motor won me over years ago. Newer models out that are better in many ways. Might be a worthwhile investment.

Quote:
Good morning everyone! I hope you all had a great and healthy Xmas!

Well, I made it through the holiday without cheating but OMG there wasn't much for me to eat! Everything was either carbs or fat!! And half of the family is on a diet! LOL I wound up bringing my own broccoli for xmas dinner, which was good because there was literally nothing that was remotely OP except the turkey!! Some of the family were giving me an attitude, like "why would you go on a diet right before the holiday?" but I know that I needed to jump in with both feet otherwise it would be too easy to keep putting it off!

My WI is tonite but I stepped on the scale and it looks like I am down another 4+lbs from last week! That would total around 10lbs in 2 weeks! Fantastic! I am soo glad that I didnt' go off plan! This weekend though is New Year's Eve and we'll be travelling to PA for the weekend.

Question...I know that I will not be 100% OP this weekend. I will drink alcohol and I will prolly eat some things that I shouldn't...Is it worth it to bring my IP food and use it when I can or will cheating just a little set me back enough that the IP foods won't really help?
Why don't you just use bars when you need an instant meal and there are no other choices available? Granted, in tough situations for a day or two, you might end up having 2 bars in one day, technically off program, but I think this would be the best solution if you're really stuck and truly want to stay as close as possible to on program. Very good idea to totally stay away from alcohol.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #29  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
I don't really know where we'll be at any given time so I'd have the have a large cooler full of veggies that I bring everywhere we go!
You could keep whatever veggies you're travelling with in the large cooler and carry a small lunchbox sized cooler with you: in the car, on the snowmobile, etc. In a "daily" lunchbox cooler you could have prepared portioned out 4 cups of veggies ready to eat, RTD shakes, protein bar, shaker with water already in it with your IP packet or ziplock bag or pre-measured protein shake. Water bottles of course!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #30  
Started June 29, 2014

S/C/G: 184.5/167/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Holidays have not only been survived, they have gotten a righteous butt whupping. Just did my weigh in, I am down 3.4 pounds and 3/4 of an inch!!! HELLOOOO 160's!!!

That means:
-one pound until I get another reward bracelet
-eight pounds to goal
-three pounds from the weight I last maintained for several years before having kids!
Great job! Keep up the good work!
Closed Thread