Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #1  
Started IP 1/12/13

S/C/G: 267/ticker/167

Height: 5'5

Default Need some advice for this weekend

I am going to my sons cub scout blue and gold dinner. Its typically a big buffet. I absolutely will not stray from being on plan. But what if there is no plain chicken..or beef. Do I really just sit there munching on lettuce all afternoon? Will it look ridiculous to bring a bar and eat that at the table. I will be sitting with ten to twelve other people and I dont want to be obvious that Im not eating or have to get into explanations. Im assuming there will be salad..should i bring some grilled chicken in tupperware and discreetly dump it on my plate? Im sure others have been in this situation.How did it go.
jeffiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 325/312/190

Height: 5'6

There will probably be veggies or salad that you can have. Meat might be a bit harder, if they have sauce, etc. I don't think it would be weird to bring a bar or bring your own chicken. Better to plan ahead than to get caught.

Last week, I was out of town for the weekend and a large group went to a Chinese restaurant. There was a buffet, but nothing remotely on plan. When I tried to order something that would be ok, it wasn't happening. I just drank water, dropped the kids and hubby at the hotel, went to the grocery store and bought a roasted chicken and pre-cut veggies. There was no way I was going to go off plan. I was rewarded today with a 4.4lbs loss for a total of 45lbs! So worth it, no matter what anyone says or thinks.

Good for you for planning ahead and making sure that it will work for you!
1LittleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:33 PM   #3  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

When we went to my company's Christmas party we had lettuce and chicken... but the chicken had been breaded so we scrapped it all off, which left very little chicken. lol

We did bring 2 bars with us so we each had one as "dessert" and that kept us filled enough to make it home. Our plan was to eat some egg whites before we went but we were running late.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I went to my son's blue and gold banquet last year and brought my own food. It wasn't in a restaurant, but at a church banquet room. I bring my own food everywhere all the time and ALWAYS have my own dressing in my purse. Sometimes people ask and I tell them that I have food allergies and this is easier for me to bring my own than to have people change the menu to accommodate me. I took my own dinner and breakfast to my daughter's girl scout cookie kickoff last weekend as well. Good luck.
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 169.2/159.8/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgamroth View Post
I went to my son's blue and gold banquet last year and brought my own food. It wasn't in a restaurant, but at a church banquet room. I bring my own food everywhere all the time and ALWAYS have my own dressing in my purse. Sometimes people ask and I tell them that I have food allergies and this is easier for me to bring my own than to have people change the menu to accommodate me. I took my own dinner and breakfast to my daughter's girl scout cookie kickoff last weekend as well. Good luck.
Love the idea about food allergies. I think I'll be using that one!
Betterthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I had a 30th b=day party for my husband that was catered with Texas BBQ. I brought my own grilled chicken thighs w/WF BBQ sauce and ate that with the provided salad. I was really busy mingling and making sure everything was going ok, that I didn't even think about it. Plus, it looked like I was eating what everyone else was eating.

It's not worth going off plan or cheating. It's too expensive to waste those packets and it will set you back in your weight loss.
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

These days, you can say you are gluten and dairy free, and allergic to a lot of additives, so you bring your own food. No one will think it's weird.

My most awkward situation on IP the first time was a wedding. The bride did her best to accomodate me, but the staff brought me a plate of plain, chopped lettuce (no lemon, no cucumbers, no olive oil) and a small serving of dry grilled chicken breast with no herbs or seasonings. I had to sit and watch everyone at my table enjoy a salad with veggies and prime rib. When it came time for champagne and cake-they served me a cup of black coffee. I was grateful to remain on program but miserable with the bland, cold food. Thank God I know how to use herbs and spices.
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #8  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I have used the food allergy line more times than I can count...But what I have found more often than not is that nobody really cares what we are eating We feel conspicuous because we're doing something different, but most people don't even notice. And those who do - I have had two cases where it led to a conversation about the diet and they decided to attend an open house at the local clinic. So don't sweat it! Bring what you need to eat, and don't worry about how it looks.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #9  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

I can only echo what others have said. Scorbett has great advice: people usually don't care what you eat or don't eat, so don't sweat it. I like the allergy line. I AM allergic to some foods--if I eat them, I will swell up (just in a different way from what people think I mean!)

I hear you on the Blue and Gold Banquet, though. My son is older and has moved on to Boy Scouts so those banquets are a thing of the past for me. But ours was always in the church meeting hall, it was always a buffet, and a cake auction was always part of it. Most people made and brought cakes that were part of a silent auction as a fundraiser. We always made a cake and always brought one home--had to help out and buy a cake.

Good luck, and hope it goes well!
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #10  
Alex Michelle

S/C/G: 234/151.8/145

Height: 5'9

When going places I always eat before if I know that they aren't going to have something im able to have. Then just snack on veggies when your there. People will always ask questions and say oh its just one time you can eat bad kinda deal but just stick to your guns. YOU will be rewarded at weigh in. Lots of people don't understand the dicipline and really you don't have to give someone a reason as to why your not having whats served. I use to always be talked into "cheating" then went home and felt so quilty..
alexmichelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote