Ketosis and Flu Vaccine

• I'm on the IP diet and am in ketosis. I recently received the flu vaccine. I'm having muscle aches and head aches. I looked online and found that muscle aches can be a side affect. However, I'm wondering if people who are in ketosis are more prone to this side affect. I know that I've bruised more easily when in ketosis. Please let me know if you've experienced this.
  • had my flu vaccine last week, a few muscle aches but ketosis really doesn't come in to play with the vaccine per my dr.
  • I had the flu vaccine quite a while ago. I didn't have any different reaction than any other year.

Hopefully you didn't catch something else. I hope you feel better soon!
  • I had no problems with my shot.
  • I had no problems, either- and I typically do.
  • As far as I know ketosis wouldn't have nearly as much an effect on whether the shot hurt, as much as where/how the nurse gave the injection. Some years I have no soreness, other years the nurse has hit my muscle JUST RIGHT and I have a sore spot for a week.
  • I didn't have an adverse reaction.
  • No, ketosis shouldn't affect how you feel after receiving the vaccine. The soreness is probably just from the irritant in your muscle. The headache could either be a coincidence or maybe a mild reaction to the vaccine. Drink some extra fluids, get some rest, and be on your merry flu-free way!
  • Mild flu like symptoms are a normal and expected immune response. Ketosis totally irrelevant. :-)
  • I'm not in ketosis nor is my family. We got flu shots on 12/13. We all had soreness at the shot site. The 15 year old and I had soreness around the shot site right away that lasted a few days (we had soreness from the gym, too); the husband was on a three day delay for the shot site soreness, and did have some muscle aches that we thought were more gym related. No one has complained of headaches. I agree with the extra water suggestion (likely related to being in ketosis) and with the statements around the headache/muscle aches being a normal side effect of a flu shot regardless of ketosis.

If it were to become severe, I would definitely contact your doctor. Although they always ask if you are allergic to eggs, if you are allergic to feathers there is a different shot they will give you. I used to get that one from the allergist, and don't recall any side effects from it. Something to consider for next year.
  • Quote: Mild flu like symptoms are a normal and expected immune response. Ketosis totally irrelevant. :-)
    Bingo