Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #1  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Unhappy Pounding, chronic, intense daily headaches

Is this just me? I hope not. I've had some pretty bad headaches since I started IP but they mostly come and go. However, for the past 2 weeks I have had constant POUNDING throbbing headaches at the top of my head and it feels like the top of skull is going to explode. It's impeding my ability to function well at work.

I am constantly going back and forth between codeine and Advil every 4-6 hours and have been for a good 2 weeks now. I just started my 7th week on IP.

I had headaches around my TOM before IP, and they could be bad, but I've never had them EVERY SINGLE DAY where the only relief was a mix of codeine/Ibuprofen and never this intense throbbing explosive feeling.

As well, around the same time I started to get consitpated and had to start taking the NovaLax - but I have to be so careful with it because the results for me can be quite explosive if you get my drift. One every two days seems to be about all I can handle.

Sometimes I gotta wonder if this is the best program for me (yes John, I know you don't think so LOL). But I committed to it, I want to lose 4 more pounds and then phase off properly.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else is suffering. OH, and I'm starving - unrelenting hunger 24/7. I had that since day 1 and it's never ever gone away. And yes I'm 100% OP and weigh and measure EVERYTHING - I'm a Type A anal personality and if I am going to do something I'm going to do it right - even if it kills me LOL.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
Is this just me? I hope not. I've had some pretty bad headaches since I started IP but they mostly come and go. However, for the past 2 weeks I have had constant POUNDING throbbing headaches at the top of my head and it feels like the top of skull is going to explode. It's impeding my ability to function well at work.

I am constantly going back and forth between codeine and Advil every 4-6 hours and have been for a good 2 weeks now. I just started my 7th week on IP.

I had headaches around my TOM before IP, and they could be bad, but I've never had them EVERY SINGLE DAY where the only relief was a mix of codeine/Ibuprofen and never this intense throbbing explosive feeling.

As well, around the same time I started to get consitpated and had to start taking the NovaLax - but I have to be so careful with it because the results for me can be quite explosive if you get my drift. One every two days seems to be about all I can handle.

Sometimes I gotta wonder if this is the best program for me (yes John, I know you don't think so LOL). But I committed to it, I want to lose 4 more pounds and then phase off properly.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else is suffering. OH, and I'm starving - unrelenting hunger 24/7. I had that since day 1 and it's never ever gone away. And yes I'm 100% OP and weigh and measure EVERYTHING - I'm a Type A anal personality and if I am going to do something I'm going to do it right - even if it kills me LOL.
You might want to get the head-aches checked out. That just doesnt seem normal.

I have problems with hunger also. Everyonce in a while I get a day where I am not hungry, but those are rare. I have just accepted it is what I need to deal with to lose weight. The good thing is that I am not having insane cravings with the hunger like I used to.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #3  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, I don't think that headache is normal this far into the program. Have you tried increasing your water and salt intake? I'll start to get headachy if I'm not drinking water regularly throughout the day - and I drink at least 96 oz every day.

Have you talked to your coach? Or better yet, do you have the ability to check with a doctor? It could be so many different things, diet-related or not, but no one should suffer like that!
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
IsSometimes I gotta wonder if this is the best program for me (yes John, I know you don't think so LOL). But I committed to it, I want to lose 4 more pounds and then phase off properly.
I really cannot understand why you're so committed to sticking with something that is not:

A) Designed for someone like you
B) Incompatible with your lifestyle
C) Causing you massive headaches

By the way the constipation is probably not IP related but has to do with the fact that codeine often causes constipation.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/140

I think that you should try to get more salt than recommended. Perhaps you require higher sodium levels than normal to function. I would try that first, but at this point I would really look into phasing off ASAP and seeing if that solves the problem. If not, go to a doc. You can always go back to Phase I if you want later.
tobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #6  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I really cannot understand why you're so committed to sticking with something that is not:

By the way the constipation is probably not IP related but has to do with the fact that codeine often causes constipation.
I know it seems crazy John - but I feel like I committed to it this far, and I am concerned about gaining back the pounds I did lose if I just quit. I'm sure my Coach would phase me off now if I wanted, but I keep thinking it's only 4 more pounds - surely I can stick it out for that long.

And I had the constipation before the headaches so the codeine didn't cause that - but maybe it's not helping.

And just to play devil's advocate - there are many many people like me on IP - that had 20 pounds or less to lose. Do you think IP should be setting a limit to who can do the program - like only those over a certain BMI or bodyfat??
Old 11-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #7  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post

Just to add something else to that, I guess I kind of got used to that reaction at weight loss programs. I remember going to Weight Watchers and having some of the members there be downright nasty to me because they told me I didn't belong there - I guess because they thought I didn't have enough to lose to justify being there. But I always thought as long as WW accepted me as a client - I had a right to be on the program. I guess I had similar thinking with IP?? See where I'm coming from?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/198/145

Height: 5"8"

It might be time for your to check in with your primary care physician. You don't want to persist with the 4 pounds at the detriment of other internal processes. If you have consitpation and severe headaches, I would probably consult a licensed medical professional and talk about the diet and your experience vs. a coach or on this site.

Good Luck - you've really been committed to this program and yourself.
dk8258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #9  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Just to add something else to that, I guess I kind of got used to that reaction at weight loss programs. I remember going to Weight Watchers and having some of the members there be downright nasty to me because they told me I didn't belong there - I guess because they thought I didn't have enough to lose to justify being there. But I always thought as long as WW accepted me as a client - I had a right to be on the program. I guess I had similar thinking with IP?? See where I'm coming from?
I think people are jealous that you have a relatively small amount to lose compared to themselves, so they say you have no right to be on a diet program. There are plenty of people that only want to lose 15-25 lbs on IP. You have every right to seek help for losing weight if you have been unable to do it on your own.

If IP is actually causing these issues for you, John has a good point. The symptoms could be totaly unrelated though, so it is a good idea to discuss this with your doctor. They are probably more informed than any of us who are not doctors.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #10  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
You might want to get the head-aches checked out. That just doesnt seem normal.

I have problems with hunger also. Everyonce in a while I get a day where I am not hungry, but those are rare. I have just accepted it is what I need to deal with to lose weight. The good thing is that I am not having insane cravings with the hunger like I used to.
Yeah I've taken a "suck it up" mentality with the hunger, but I was just wondering if the hunger could be another contributing factor to the heaches. Before I was on IP if I let myself get really hungry I would get a headache. It could be related. I'm also borderline hypoglycemic which my Coach told me the program would "take care of" and that it was great for people with hypoglycemia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGirl3 View Post
Yeah, I don't think that headache is normal this far into the program. Have you tried increasing your water and salt intake? I'll start to get headachy if I'm not drinking water regularly throughout the day - and I drink at least 96 oz every day.

Have you talked to your coach? Or better yet, do you have the ability to check with a doctor? It could be so many different things, diet-related or not, but no one should suffer like that!
Dear Lord I cannot increase my water - I drink 10 + more to compensate for whatever coffee/tea I drink. I will admit that the one thing I don't pay a lot of attention to and/or measure is the salt. I just sprinkle it on as needed for taste. Maybe I should pay more attention to measuring that out - it's the only thing I don't measure.

My Coach just said she has no idea why I'm having headaches. And yes, I can certainly pop in to my clinic to see my doc, but she knows I started this program and I have a feeling she'll just tell me to come off and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobehealthy View Post
I think that you should try to get more salt than recommended. Perhaps you require higher sodium levels than normal to function. I would try that first, but at this point I would really look into phasing off ASAP and seeing if that solves the problem. If not, go to a doc. You can always go back to Phase I if you want later.
I really want to get those last 4 pounds off before I phase off - I already resigned myself to the hunger, and am almost resigned to the headaches. 4 more pounds and that's it!!!!

Last edited by slow2lose; 11-01-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Codeine can cause rebound headaches. You may need to suffer out a couple days with only Advil to get past the.
Definitely start salting more, or drink some bullion to up your sodium.

I would also see my dr....I used to get bad headaches and migraines and if I stick low carb I find they are almost completely eliminated. Tat was an unexpected but great side effect of ip for me!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #12  

S/C/G: H 225/ S 205/ C 197.5/ TBD

Height: 5'7"

I'm so sorry your hurting. I agree that it might be your salt intake. You have posted before about your previous eating habits. From that I would guess that your salt intake was pretty high. BUT I would still recomend talking to your MD. As for the constipation I would try a sea salt flush. Who knows maybe that would take care of both.

Copyied from an other post:
Have you thought about doing a sea salt water flush? It will work for many people and very quickly.

Use 1 liter of water and between 2tsp and 1 tablespoon of sea salt (you can adjust this to your body response as some people may require a tsp or so more.) Mix a solution of sea salt and room temperature water.

Drink the solution as quickly as you can. You may feel a bit full but keep drinking. If you take to long it will make your gag reflex activate. The high volume of salt and water will rapidly move through your system. It will not leave you with a high sodium impact for the day.

Once you take the solution, you will have to be on guard, a bowel movement WILL be shortly coming. Sometimes it is a fast 5 or even 15 minutes, but generally in 30-60 minutes between taking it and the first movement. The last movements will begin to wind down an hour or so after they begin. Typically you will have between 2 and 7 bowel movements and the effects of more free bowel movements may last 2 days.

Your stomach will rumble a bit and for awhile. Let it. You also should be careful to avoid passing "gas" that might not be. When you finally go, it will at first be a lot of the solution, water really. That is just the start.

Most people prefer to do this in the comfort of there home, in the evening or at a time when they will not have to leave for several hours.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by warmheart; 11-01-2012 at 01:35 PM.
warmheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/140

So I think it has to be the salt. Really up your salt content for the next couple of days. One day I forgot to take my salt and I couldn't sleep my head hurt so bad. I have been so careful since. If you feel anyway like I did that night, I don't know how you stay on the diet, let alone keep working!
tobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #14  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
I know it seems crazy John - but I feel like I committed to it this far, and I am concerned about gaining back the pounds I did lose if I just quit. I'm sure my Coach would phase me off now if I wanted, but I keep thinking it's only 4 more pounds - surely I can stick it out for that long.

And I had the constipation before the headaches so the codeine didn't cause that - but maybe it's not helping.

And just to play devil's advocate - there are many many people like me on IP - that had 20 pounds or less to lose. Do you think IP should be setting a limit to who can do the program - like only those over a certain BMI or bodyfat??
I have to chime in for the 20 pounds. I only had 20 to lose and it really ticks me off when people are nasty or say they're "vanity" lbs and we shouldn't be taken seriously. A day for us on this diet is the same as someone losing 100 lbs, we just don't have to be on it for as long.

As for the headaches - I had some but it sounds like you're really suffering! I increased my salt and took 2 potassiums per day instead of 1 and that REALLY helped a lot! I also made sure to get the EVOO is as it helped dramatically with the constipation issue ... but do keep in mind that ibuprofin will make it worse for you.

You might also be experiencing what they call "rebound" headaches from the medication. Sounds strange but when we take painkillers too often, they will actually cause the headaches ....

Either way, I'd get a check from the doc. And I totally understand your desire to properly phase off - remember you will still lose in Phase 2 and sometimes in Phase 3.

Good luck!
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
I
This is something I have been wondering about.

First, I will say I am not commenting out of jealousy but out of curiosity.

I am in my 60s, at 5ft 1 inch I weigh 130 which is what my doctor does not want me to go below. This is would be a high weight for me if I was 18 but as a woman gets older the ideal weight goes up which is not the case for men.

You mentioned you wanted to meet your goal for your upcoming 50th birthday. So for your height, weight and age I would guess your body is at an ideal weight right now. I say guess because I didn't go to the calculators to check.

So the Ideal Protein plan is very heavy duty artillery to be using on a body which is desperately trying to stay at an ideal weight.

It must sense that it is under attack and is preparing for upcoming starvation.

So I wonder why your coach doesn't point out your weight is excellent where it is.

As for the nasty comments you said were directed at you at WW. I would want to ask the same thing too but would never cross the boundary to your personal business in real life just online .

But the reason I would want to ask is because when I went to WW way back in the day they had a rule that you couldn't join if you didn't have more than 10 pounds to lose by their calculation, not by the individuals.

So for me the question about people who just have 20 pounds to lose would depend on if the 20 pounds was a reasonable goal for the person's height % of body fat and age.

I would really watch the codeine with the headaches though. I hope you get rid of them very quickly.
Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote