Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #46  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I had a great time yesterday at the Half Marathon in Shiner, TX...www.shinerbeerrun.com! That was a definite Fun Day! I finished it in 2:10 while gossiping/catching up with a good friend who is moving from Houston to Chicago and getting married in 2 weeks in Cancun - we can't go due to finances, but it was great to to be able to 'send her off' in a total Texas race.

It was so much fun and my family was there at the end for the festivities, it was also a smaller race so definitely not as crazy as the San Antonio or Dallas Halfs I did recently. It was raining cats & dogs that morning, then stopped ~30 minutes before the race. The roads were actually in good shape for the run. I think the weather might have 'scared off' a few folks too.

I am going to 'lay low' this week and stick with Phase 1. I have found myself in a scary place scale-wise and was putting off doing Phase 1 until I did my race yesterday, even though I have been at the high end of my 'safe zone'. But now that it's over I jumped on the Phase 1 wagon today, pulled a rookie move with 2 restricteds in 1 day (Bar at breakfast and Spaghetti at dinner), but oh well.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #47  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Kitkat- thanks for sharing that. I need to definitely let go of the fear of regaining.

Liz- Way to go on the half marathon again! I'm so glad you post on here still. It's nice to see that you are in control and able to get right back to phase I.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #48  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

Good morning ladies. I'm sure most of you don't know me. I don't post very often anymore. I do pop in and read every now and then because you guys still inspire me when I need it. I'm hoping to return the favor. I've been in maintenance for a year. I lost 60 lbs on IP, reached my original goal. I decided to stop at that point for different reasons, with the idea that after a year of maintenance, I might restart IP to lose a few more lbs.

Maintenance is scary for about the first few weeks. By then, you start to realize exactly what you can eat to keep from gaining. You watch the scale like a hawk and you analyze every bit of food that passes through your lips. But, you get the hang of it. You might slip up here and there, sometimes unknowingly, sometimes on purpose. But, you do what you have to do to get it off if there is any sustained gain. At some point, you settle into a routine, your new way of eating. It becomes habit. I don't eat white carbs. I eat whole grain wheat bread, brown rice and pasta sparingly, and sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. That's what works for me. You will figure out what works for you. My go-to food is greek yogurt. I buy it in the 32 oz containers and I buy it often. There is so much you can add to it to make it a really yummy treat and it's full of protein. I don't often have carb cravings, but when I do, I say to myself that if I still want it after I eat my yogurt, then I can have it. Most of the time, I don't want it anymore. If I do cave and indulge in the carb-heavy craving, I don't eat nearly as much of it as I would have pre-IP. Then I move on.

You can do this. It may not be as easy as phase 1 or phase 2, because you have to make the choice everyday what you will eat. But, it becomes routine. Saying no to certain foods becomes routine. There were a few bumps in the road when I started maintenance (right at Christmas!), but it all worked out. I'm usually around 5 lbs under my goal weight, with a fluctuation of 2-3 lbs that I don't worry about. I have set a ceiling weight of 160. If I reach that, I have to rein it in. That works for me.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #49  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

KitKat - thank you for those words! We definitely need to be willing to acknowledge our "wins", and remember that for every mistake we can probably come up with two or three great decisions! I had started a list of positive changes I wanted to make in 2013, but going back over 2012 to see how far I've come would be a great exercise!

Paint Lady, thank you for chiming in! What you are saying is what I *hope* maintenance will be like for me, congratulations on finding your rhythm and maintaining for the whole year!!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #50  

Height: magmeepEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Lady View Post
Good morning ladies. I'm sure most of you don't know me. I don't post very often anymore. I do pop in and read every now and then because you guys still inspire me when I need it. I'm hoping to return the favor. I've been in maintenance for a year. I lost 60 lbs on IP, reached my original goal. I decided to stop at that point for different reasons, with the idea that after a year of maintenance, I might restart IP to lose a few more lbs.

Maintenance is scary for about the first few weeks. By then, you start to realize exactly what you can eat to keep from gaining. You watch the scale like a hawk and you analyze every bit of food that passes through your lips. But, you get the hang of it. You might slip up here and there, sometimes unknowingly, sometimes on purpose. But, you do what you have to do to get it off if there is any sustained gain. At some point, you settle into a routine, your new way of eating. It becomes habit. I don't eat white carbs. I eat whole grain wheat bread, brown rice and pasta sparingly, and sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. That's what works for me. You will figure out what works for you. My go-to food is greek yogurt. I buy it in the 32 oz containers and I buy it often. There is so much you can add to it to make it a really yummy treat and it's full of protein. I don't often have carb cravings, but when I do, I say to myself that if I still want it after I eat my yogurt, then I can have it. Most of the time, I don't want it anymore. If I do cave and indulge in the carb-heavy craving, I don't eat nearly as much of it as I would have pre-IP. Then I move on.

You can do this. It may not be as easy as phase 1 or phase 2, because you have to make the choice everyday what you will eat. But, it becomes routine. Saying no to certain foods becomes routine. There were a few bumps in the road when I started maintenance (right at Christmas!), but it all worked out. I'm usually around 5 lbs under my goal weight, with a fluctuation of 2-3 lbs that I don't worry about. I have set a ceiling weight of 160. If I reach that, I have to rein it in. That works for me.
Thanks so much for this Paint Lady. As Scorbett said, I so hope my maintenance is like this too. I want it to become a habit and not one where I'm fighting myself. I've done that for almost all my life, and it just is not where I ever want to be again.

Thank you for these words!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #51  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

PAINT!!!!!....GOOD TO SEE YOU STILL AROUND!!!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

Hello everyone!

I had a great WI for a change, down 3 in one week. I really needed that for incentive. I had spoken to my coach about phasing off the last couple of weeks. I feel good, I have clothes that fit, and just looking for a break from the plan. I know you all have had the discussions on here and it is not a popular opinion so I said nothing. Anyway, I chose to do phase 2, that many skip, since I wanted time to figure out what my phase 3 breakfasts would be. My body seemed to like phase 2 and I lost 3 pounds. Yah! so happy. So back to phase 1 for me. I guess sometimes I can eat too little, just my opinion.

Have a GREAT day everyone!
Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #53  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl306 View Post
Hello everyone!

I had a great WI for a change, down 3 in one week. I really needed that for incentive. I had spoken to my coach about phasing off the last couple of weeks. I feel good, I have clothes that fit, and just looking for a break from the plan. I know you all have had the discussions on here and it is not a popular opinion so I said nothing. Anyway, I chose to do phase 2, that many skip, since I wanted time to figure out what my phase 3 breakfasts would be. My body seemed to like phase 2 and I lost 3 pounds. Yah! so happy. So back to phase 1 for me. I guess sometimes I can eat too little, just my opinion.

My mom started working P2 days in when she had about 20 lbs to go. It actually increased her losses some weeks (and made her life easier when travelling)
I don't think there is a ONE BEST way to do it. I do know that sometimes our bodies get very used to what we are doing and we need to "shock" our bodies into dropping weight again. Glad P2 worked for you! Some people even use P3 for that "shock" but if P2 worked, even better b/c it is much lower carb!
I'm not there yet but it is certainly something I've already thought of, if it happens to me.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #54  
Started IP 7/9/12

Quote:
Hello everyone!

That's so great! A big advantage of having a coach is they suggest tweaks to the program.

I was too afraid that if I tried to switch to phase 2 & 3, that I would have a hard time getting back to phase 1. I didnt want to lose my focus.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
My mom started working P2 days in when she had about 20 lbs to go. It actually increased her losses some weeks (and made her life easier when travelling)
I don't think there is a ONE BEST way to do it. I do know that sometimes our bodies get very used to what we are doing and we need to "shock" our bodies into dropping weight again. Glad P2 worked for you! Some people even use P3 for that "shock" but if P2 worked, even better b/c it is much lower carb!
I'm not there yet but it is certainly something I've already thought of, if it happens to me.
Thanks for letting me know that P2 worked for your mom too. I wasn't expecting a good loss again. I was just thinking I had to get use to my body for awhile and then decide if I wanted to lose more. If the weight is willing to come off now - I will let it. I am kinda sad about not have oranges for Christmas. It was the only thing I had worked out for sure on the P3 breakfast. The rest I was still researching and making a shopping list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
That's so great! A big advantage of having a coach is they suggest tweaks to the program.

I was too afraid that if I tried to switch to phase 2 & 3, that I would have a hard time getting back to phase 1. I didnt want to lose my focus.
I have been reading the maintenance literature and thread lately and it looks like we will be shifting in and out of the phases for the rest of our lives. I think changing phases will be okay and easier than if we went back to old eating habits and then tried to return to P1. The more I become acquainted with P3 & 4 the more I think it is achievable. At least I hope it is! I'm sure we can do this together. No looking back to fat clothes.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #56  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

Hmmm... I have a question. Why are people skipping phase 2?

Hey Wuv!! Good to see ya! Are you phasing off yet?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 206/186/160

Height: 5"2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

OK, holiday/life stress got the better of me today, thankfully I dealt with it IP style but I'm still not happy with myself because of it.

I am having another one of those years where I feel like everyone wants a piece of me, and all I want to do is enjoy the holidays with my kids. But this one wants us to visit on a certain day, my mother in law wants the grandkids to help her decorate HER tree, and the only day my SIL can be there happens to be the day I planned to do OUR tree decorating. I'm late for everything because I can never finish something in time to move on to the next thing. I'm COOKED.

So I had a tearful convo with hubby on the ride home from picking him up at college. Stress levels were up, and I hadn't eaten lunch. I grabbed one of my Fudge & Graham bars, and started eating it while I was finishing up a baking order that I needed to deliver on my way to work. Got that packaged up, and couldn't find the other half of my bar. Started getting stressed again, decided to just grab another bar. By the time I finished that, I found the other half of the first one.

What bothers me is that I ATE IT. Yes, it was still an IP product, yes doing an extra restricted today isn't going to kill me...but it was the fact that I had eaten half a bar, proceeded to eat a whole other bar, and then ALSO ate the other half even though I knew I didn't need it. It was TOTALLY stress eating.

I'm sure it's just life stress plus holiday stress getting overwhelming...but I am going to have to come up with better strategies for dealing with it, otherwise I am DOOMED if it hits me when I'm in maintenance!
Scorbett, I'm feeling a lot of the same feelings you have been talking about, but in a little different way, feeling a bit out of control last week, had 2 days of extra restricteds, and that's ok we're still on the track and fears of going to be able to maintain but as others have said we will be just fine we all have each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgamroth View Post
I AM DONE!!! Finals are OVER and I got all A's! I have been so busy and I don't see anything slowing down for me any time soon. I survived my first FUN day! I stuck with my typical phase 3 breakfast and phase 2 lunch and was more relaxed at dinner. I went to my hubby's Christmas party and enjoyed the nice dinner but still passed on the baked potato AND the dessert! I really do not crave the sweets like I used to. I was really proud of myself. At first I was worried I would go nuts once I got to maintenance but I am so aware of nutritional content in foods now. I really don't want to waste calories and carbs on things I am not really craving badly.
Congrats on all A's and staying in control.

Well today I had one of those moments I've read about from others and today was my turn, my DH took me to get a new outfit for his christmass party coming up on the 22nd and I took two pair of pants size 10 and 12 and the 10's went on and fit perfect even a little loose in the legs, but not the gut, but I cried, couldn't believe that was me and than the fancy shirt my DH picked out fit and the boots zipped right up and to top it all off everything was on sale and we got an extra 20% off because it was Tuesday, I cried again what a perfect shopping expierence! Makes staying OP even easier, well at least today anyway ha!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Lady View Post
Hmmm... I have a question. Why are people skipping phase 2?
Now that you stay P1 until 100% to goal, many coaches put people directly on P3. I will do P2 first.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #59  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
Mompattie, I think you'll do better than you think now. I'm glad I will be a year plus on this journey because it has given me the time I need to deal with these emotions and to realize that I can do this. Give it time and just believe!

Also I found a couple brunch recipe ideas that may help you. I posted them under the recipe thread.
You are a sweetie! Thanks so much, going to find those recipes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

OK, holiday/life stress got the better of me today, thankfully I dealt with it IP style but I'm still not happy with myself because of it.

I am having another one of those years where I feel like everyone wants a piece of me, and all I want to do is enjoy the holidays with my kids. But this one wants us to visit on a certain day, my mother in law wants the grandkids to help her decorate HER tree, and the only day my SIL can be there happens to be the day I planned to do OUR tree decorating. I'm late for everything because I can never finish something in time to move on to the next thing. I'm COOKED.

So I had a tearful convo with hubby on the ride home from picking him up at college. Stress levels were up, and I hadn't eaten lunch. I grabbed one of my Fudge & Graham bars, and started eating it while I was finishing up a baking order that I needed to deliver on my way to work. Got that packaged up, and couldn't find the other half of my bar. Started getting stressed again, decided to just grab another bar. By the time I finished that, I found the other half of the first one.

What bothers me is that I ATE IT. Yes, it was still an IP product, yes doing an extra restricted today isn't going to kill me...but it was the fact that I had eaten half a bar, proceeded to eat a whole other bar, and then ALSO ate the other half even though I knew I didn't need it. It was TOTALLY stress eating.

I'm sure it's just life stress plus holiday stress getting overwhelming...but I am going to have to come up with better strategies for dealing with it, otherwise I am DOOMED if it hits me when I'm in maintenance!
Quote:
Oh sweetie go easy on yourself. You are a rockstar and you are human. Mother-in-law stress is the worst! As you have advised MANY others, get back 100% right now and you will be fine. NO ONE can be absolutely perfect all the time and even the best of the best have a weak moment. I personally think you are going to be just as great during maintenance as you have been throughout your IP journey. Hang in there!
Scorbett - what Holly said I DITTO 1000000%!!! Be gentle with yourself, you are amazing. PURE awesome, you're doing awesome and you will continue to do awesome. You handled that curve ball awesome!!

Quote:
I AM DONE!!! Finals are OVER and I got all A's! I have been so busy and I don't see anything slowing down for me any time soon. I survived my first FUN day! I stuck with my typical phase 3 breakfast and phase 2 lunch and was more relaxed at dinner. I went to my hubby's Christmas party and enjoyed the nice dinner but still passed on the baked potato AND the dessert! I really do not crave the sweets like I used to. I was really proud of myself. At first I was worried I would go nuts once I got to maintenance but I am so aware of nutritional content in foods now. I really don't want to waste calories and carbs on things I am not really craving badly.
WAY TO GO!!!!!! A's!!! Holy cow woman, way to rock those classes!! Soon you can take a big breath and enjoy the holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
Sending hugs your way. So sorry about your experience today but I think you did great under the circumstances. And it is not always about the journey but rather the lessons learned from the journey. Your journey sounds pretty full right now so I think that you need to forgive yourself and move on.

Tonight I got an email from my coach. She sends these inspirational messages weekly along with the reminder to send in our food order so she can have it ready. With the recent theme about fear, maintenance, emotions, etc. I thought her words had extra special meaning. Plus it is a good time of the year to spend a few minutes for ourselves, remember our year, acknowledge our achievements and set our sights forward to the gift of our year ahead. So here are the words of my coach:

ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF 2012 & GET READY TO ROCK YOUR 2013!!!
During the remainder of this year 2012, create an opportunity to look over the past year and acknowledge your accomplishments. Give yourself the gift of self-gratitude and list out your achievements - big and small. We just don't do this often enough! Write out a list even!!! Now while you do that, consider the challenges that you have moved through and grown beyond! What lessons can you take away from those situations? Preserve the lessons and let go of the any lingering negative emotions and memories. We sometimes mistake that we need to hold on to the emotions, like fear or anger, thinking on some level that they protect us and guide us. No, no, no... it's the lessons learned from those situations that gives us the wisdom and guidance that keeps us safe and helps us to make better choices as we move forward. So let go of the old limiting emotions for they can cloud things, and really acknowledge and preserve the lessons. Then look to 2013! I love the start of a New Year; it's full of hope and promise of a terrific year ahead that's wide open to all possibilities! What would you like to create, be and do that would enhance your life? What's one thing you would love to create next year, that at Dec. 2013 looking back you would say, "Wow, what an amazing year!"? As your coach, I would love to support you in making that happen!!! So, if you're willing, let me know, and I would love to help you rock your 2013 into a wonderful year!!!! It is possible! Let's do it!
This is awesome. The end.

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I think you have done a splendid job and phasing off seems to be working with your body!!! Great job!!!!

After some gut wrenching discussions with my coach and my DH, I have decided to phase off for 10 days. Mentally I need a break. Physically I have hovered around the same weight for months. We think that a balanced diet for the holidays - not extreme either way - but a choice to maintain, is what I need right now. Mentally taking the break I plan to hit P1 with a renewed sense of dedication and determination. Physically my coach and I feel my body needs the shock to get the scale moving again. I will be back to 100% on Dec 27th (my Phase 1 restart day, already planned out). I had internal conflict on this decision, but do feel I need it. Moreso, I NEED the restart and I WILL NOT STOP. 10 days is all I am taking, and I hope to maintain or at least only gain a wee bit. Hope you can all support my decision.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #60  
Started IP 7/9/12

You obviously put a lot of thought into it and have a great plan. We'll still be here for you while you maintain and when you get back on phase 1.
Closed Thread