Old 06-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

Default I should have just stayed off the scale !!!

Wednesday I had my second week weigh-in a day early since my coach was going to be off on Thursday. I had a 2.4 loss which landed me at 166 for a total of 8 lbs in two weeks . Figured I would have hit my 3 lb 'target' if I weighed in on the right day.

Then, tonight I decided to weigh myself on my bathroom scale, which has so far been right in synch with the scale at the clinic. 167.9 I was stunned!!! Three days past WI I am UP 2 lbs???

Just praying now that its a fluke - some bizarre fluid fluctuation. I'm not getting back on that scale but I'll be doing some stressing until Thursday's WI
My gut response is to exercise - but I know that's the last thing I should do.
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I know you have been reading this forum so you must have seen the many many people who post about scale fluctuations. The scale can move up and down throughout the day and week several (up to 4 or 5) pounds at a time. This is why so many recommend that you either 1) NOT weigh yourself at all and only watch the weekly WI for the downward trend OR 2) if you weigh yourself in between you are FULLY prepared for these fluctuations, don't freak-out and watch for the downward trend ONLY based on your weekly WI!!!

And of course, if you are stressed weighing yourself in between, that stress can make the number go up!!

Relax!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Don't step on the scale in between weigh-ins if you can't handle the fluctuations, but did you say you weighed yourself at night?

You have meals and lots of water still in your system...it would definitely reflect a higher number. It's not actual weight gain, just fluids and food!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Don't step on the scale in between weigh-ins if you can't handle the fluctuations, but did you say you weighed yourself at night?

You have meals and lots of water still in your system...it would definitely reflect a higher number. It's not actual weight gain, just fluids and food!
THIS.

If you are weighing at the end of the day, you are carrying around everything you ate all day - which can easily be 2-3lbs of stuff!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286/148/160

Height: 5'7"

I always weigh morning and night and last night my weight was almost 10 lbs higher than it was in the morning.

I had just had my pudding shake and drank almost 200oz of water yesterday. It was hot and humid as **** here yesterday......

I knew this so I did not freak out.

This AM weight was the same as yesterday morning.

Don't let it get to you!
onmyway1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

Thank you all for talking me off the bridge!! Yes it WAS at night. My weekly weigh ins are in the afternoon. I know that what we ingest all day can show up on the scale in the evening, but it still freaked me out when I saw the number.

No more stepping on the scale before weigh in day for me
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/181/175

Height: 5'10

Here's how I look at it:

Rule #1, don't weight every day.
Rule #2, when you break rule #1, weigh at the same time, every time, on the same equipment in as close to the same state (clothing, just peed, etc) as you can.
Rule #3, checking weight between weigh ins isn't "official", but you could use it to think through how closely you are sticking to protocol and make adjustments or pat yourself on the back a little if you see progress and stay motivated.
Rule #4, If you can't handle seeing it vary up to ~3% daily, don't check it.

Sounds like you got some good advice to come off the ledge from the previous posters. It's pretty eye opening to get in tune with your body. I am pretty amazed at what I can still learn even as an oldster.....
IPguy442 is offline   Reply With Quote