Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Kelly, just another question. Are your stats correct? If so you are not in too bad a range now and may want to phase off and go to mainenance for a while. Then maybe come back for the final assault when you feel more stabalized.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Everyone posts were valid & kellycg102, what you posted took alot of courage and you probably helped others who are too scared to admit what is going on. I'm glad you are open to suggestions, and that you are going to get those books. I would like to "strongly" suggest that you see someone regarding your compulsive bingeing and eating. Even if it's just for 1 or 2 visits, see someone who specializes in eating disorders (this is my unprofessional opinion - but I am a IP coach who has some experience dealing with this) if you were my client, I would recommend this.
Sometimes emotional issues need more help than a book can provide or these boards. They are great tools to help support you, but I think you would benefit from a counselor that specializes in eating disorders. Good luck to you!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

All the best, Pam
Pamelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 187.6/164.2/135

Height: 5'4"

All I can say is that you are great for trying to figure it out now!

I am starting over again. It hurts to type this, but I lost 30 lbs in the summer of 2011 and slowly gained 50 lbs back. I am to the point now that I know I have to do it. I am going to download the books that were recommended!

I was on Wellbutrin a couple years ago. It actually made me lose my appetite, so I didn't gain weight. But it didn't do anything for my anxiety.
becca1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 184/146/130

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Kelly, just another question. Are your stats correct? If so you are not in too bad a range now and may want to phase off and go to mainenance for a while. Then maybe come back for the final assault when you feel more stabalized.
Unfortunately my stats are not accurate. I will get the guts up to change them thank you for your suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamelama View Post
Everyone posts were valid & kellycg102, what you posted took alot of courage and you probably helped others who are too scared to admit what is going on. I'm glad you are open to suggestions, and that you are going to get those books. I would like to "strongly" suggest that you see someone regarding your compulsive bingeing and eating. Even if it's just for 1 or 2 visits, see someone who specializes in eating disorders (this is my unprofessional opinion - but I am a IP coach who has some experience dealing with this) if you were my client, I would recommend this.
Sometimes emotional issues need more help than a book can provide or these boards. They are great tools to help support you, but I think you would benefit from a counselor that specializes in eating disorders. Good luck to you!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

All the best, Pam
Thank you Pam. I agree I do need to see someone. I have looked at over eaters anonymous, and thought of an addictions counsellor....I haven't come across an eating disorder counsellor yet but will keep looking. Appreciate the time you took to offer your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1978 View Post

I am starting over again. It hurts to type this, but I lost 30 lbs in the summer of 2011 and slowly gained 50 lbs back. I am to the point now that I know I have to do it. I am going to download the books that were recommended!

I was on Wellbutrin a couple years ago. It actually made me lose my appetite, so I didn't gain weight. But it didn't do anything for my anxiety.
It sucks I know.....I would love to just eat to survive.....I think of food all day long!! Regaining is what I have alway done. Good for you for getting back on.....wishing you luck
kellycg102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1978 View Post

Forgot to mention I did read that most people lost one Wellbutrin but I am concerned about it because from what I understand it is for depression and can cause or make anxiety worse.....I have enough of it so don't need a boost. Plus I read it can make people moody and angry and I have tendencies to get like that too so worried it would enhance that too. I think I have to try something tho, even for a little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
You are the only one who can take control of your eating. I know I've struggled with my issues for YEARS and plan to work on them for the rest of my life. I've had many more good days than bad since IP but I struggle too. I was on track for gastric bypass and part of that process was speaking to several doctors about why I eat. Once I did some of that work it really helped me. I needed to come up with other soothing choices and behaviors to do instead of stuffing my face. It's worked for me. Good luck.

I know what your saying. I was just really taken back loosing 50lbs, being the smallest I have ever been,loving how I looked and felt....and my eating issues didn't fix.....like I said I binge worse now then ever. So frustrating....I just didn't expect it at all!
You have done so well, glad you were able to work on some of your issues and you are on a road to happiness for yourself. Life long work for sure!! Thank you
Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #21  

I have found a counsellor specializing in eating disorders, now just waiting for the phone call for an official appointment! First step! Thank you all
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

This is one thing that I'm extremely worried about once I get into Phase 4 of this diet.

I love food so much so I'm super worried that once this diet ends and I can eat whatever I want, I'll do just that. I'm hoping that once I get there, I'll be willing to work out a lot more to maintain my weight and also continue to eat healthy. Especially since I've found recipes that I really do enjoy and they make it seem like I don't really need cheese or breads back in my life.

I just know that I've had a couple of cheats since I've started and although there hasn't been many and I've been losing weight and I feel HORRIBLE afterward, it's really easy for me to eat a Hershey's kiss, especially when it's so readily available.
IPbeginnerNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPbeginnerNOLA View Post
This is one thing that I'm extremely worried about once I get into Phase 4 of this diet.

I love food so much so I'm super worried that once this diet ends and I can eat whatever I want, I'll do just that. I'm hoping that once I get there, I'll be willing to work out a lot more to maintain my weight and also continue to eat healthy. Especially since I've found recipes that I really do enjoy and they make it seem like I don't really need cheese or breads back in my life.

I just know that I've had a couple of cheats since I've started and although there hasn't been many and I've been losing weight and I feel HORRIBLE afterward, it's really easy for me to eat a Hershey's kiss, especially when it's so readily available.

You will find you ease into phase 4 and add things back carefully. It is not like plunging off the deep end suddenly so it is not really terribly frightening.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycg102 View Post
I have found a counsellor specializing in eating disorders, now just waiting for the phone call for an official appointment! First step! Thank you all
Good luck to you! You deserve peace.

Pam
Pamelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 195/147/150

Height: 5'9"

Thank you for sharing. I have been roller coasting for the last few weeks. Even on cheat days I feel guilty and then because I feel guilty I want to eat and then I feel guilty again. Each one of you has accomplished amazing things - I guess we all need to remember that - and more importantly remember to be kind to ourselves. Praying for each and everyone of you both in your trials and in your success . . . praying for peace.
falzacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #26  

Kelly, don't worry about updating your stats, I was just thinking if they were right you were getting yourself extremely stressed over a few pounds. Actually I was talking to myself too because I am up to 135 from 130 and need to stop the upward spiral quickly.

Last edited by patns; 12-10-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

This was a great post Kelly!
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #28  
IP start March 8th 2013

S/C/G: 217/206/160

Height: 5'9

Kelly, it's clear that you're not alone. My anxiety gets me into all sorts of trouble, including food problems. I see it now as a coping, self medicating issue and not a "diet" issue. But, unlike drugs or alcohol, we need to eat right? So it's complex...counselling is key for me, control the anxiety and control the food issues. I did meds too, but am currently weaning off. Bottom line? You just reached out, which is much more than most people do, so you're already ahead. It will get better now.
My problem is that I wake up and think that the weight has all come back!! Or that with every bite I take, I'm gaining the weight back! Crazy I know, but nevertheless, I push those feelings aside and do this one day at a time. Oh, and then I come here and lean on my peeps
newday2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 160/153/140

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Thanks Louise I downloaded this last night on my kindle and definitely think it is a must read.

It is by Kathryn Hansen, she writes it for bulimics but it actually is very appropriate for any type of eating disorder.

Her approach to food was one which many people can relate to and exactly as Kelly described in the first post in this thread.

She was not a purging bulimic but a severe binger who then did extreme exercise for the up to 10 hours the next day so she wouldn't gain weight. She was diagnosed as a bulimic but it is the same as anyone who really overeats; just without the extreme exercise most people who binge like she did become very overweight.

Her recovery came through reading Rational Recoveryhe New Cure for Substance Addiction by Jack Trimpey.

That book is used as an alternative to A.A. and my son used it to overcome alchoholism is his 20s and has been totally sober for 10 years now. We had been beside ourselves trying to help him since his late teens and nothing had worked so that book was like a miracle with him.

Soon after he used the same approach to stop smoking based on a book by Allan Carr. So two very strong addictions overcome in a very brief time.

I find this book on eating fascinating and highly recommend it.

After I finish it I want to download the other book mentioned above Potatoes Not Prozac but not sure how that would work with my carb addiction.

Pat
Am going to download it on my kindle tonight. thanks
safetylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't post much either but I can totally relate. I want to lose another 15 lbs so I'm trying to start up again. It's really hard and so easy to say "I'll start tomorrow."

I've just started to read "The Beck Diet Cure" which deals mostly with the psychological side of dieting. I'm trying to do it step by step because emotional and binge eating are a life time habit of mine and it literally makes me sick (headaches, stomach aches, etc). I don't want to be like that anymore. There is a forum on this site for people who are following this book.

Also one of my all time favorite books is by Julia Ross called Mood Cure. It talks about brain chemistry and how depression and anxiety can cured with amino acid supplements. It's a little complicated for me to explain on here but i had times when I was irrational upset and anxious about things or just flat and depressed. I followed her suggestions for a few months and feel TONS better. The supplements she suggested are not forever. Just til you get your brain balanced. It's worth a try if you don't want to be on medication just yet (not that there is anything wrong with medication).

REgardless what you do, good luck and know you are not alone and that many, many people feel the same way.

I'm off to check out some of the book mentioned in this thread.
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote