Unrestricted bar and sugar alcohol?

• There are several Atkins bars that are listed as "ok for All Phases" of the Atkins diet (and seemingly unrestricted?). Some of them have net carbs of 7g, with the remaining carbs coming from sugar alcohol and fiber. What's the deal with sugar alcohol and why would that be ok to subtract from the total carb count?
  • Some sugar alcohols are not digested and so can potentially be deducted from the carb count - I don't follow this personally and only deduct dietary fiber.

Regarding the Atkins bars, if you plan to use them on the Ideal Protein protocol, be VERY aware of the FAT content. Atkins does not restrict fat, while IP is a low fat diet on top of everything else. Most Atkins products are too high in fat for IP. Fat calories should be below 30% of the total calories per serving.
  • Thank you. I did notice a high fat content on some of the Atkins products...

Quote: Some sugar alcohols are not digested and so can potentially be deducted from the carb count - I don't follow this personally and only deduct dietary fiber.

Regarding the Atkins bars, if you plan to use them on the Ideal Protein protocol, be VERY aware of the FAT content. Atkins does not restrict fat, while IP is a low fat diet on top of everything else. Most Atkins products are too high in fat for IP. Fat calories should be below 30% of the total calories per serving.
  • Quote: Thank you. I did notice a high fat content on some of the Atkins products...
    FYI: I try not to mess with stuff with sugar alcohol. It can give you the runs. Seriously.
  • Quote: FYI: I try not to mess with stuff with sugar alcohol. It can give you the runs. Seriously.
    totally.