3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   What's your lollipop? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/271172-whats-your-lollipop.html)

benice 12-07-2012 11:24 AM

What's your lollipop?

I've heard it said that people who are trying to quit a habit often take up something innocuous as a temporary (or sometimes permanent) replacement. For example, some people who quit smoking will suck on lollipops. I'm curious what you all do instead of snacking, drinking soda, chewing too much gum, etc.!

I'll start off...

I have a ridiculous chapstick habit. I love Burt's Bees, Lip Smackers, EOS, ChapStick, you name it! Right now on my desk I have a strawberry Lip Smacker (Jumbo Size--why not? :)), Dr. Pepper Lip Smacker, strawberry EOS and peppermint Burt's. When I want to grab a piece of gum or a munchie, I put on some chapstick!

I also drink tons of tea. I've always consumed a ton of tea, but now it's just over the top. I have a 24 oz. Disneyland mug that I keep on my desk. I tend to drink rice tea (not too much of that--caffinated) and mint tea. Mint tea is my great weakness.

Finally, I put on lots of delicious smelling hand lotion. It keeps my hands super moisturized and it takes away any desire to munch (who wants to munch when their hands are slimy?!).

How about YOU? What little habits have you taken up to repace time spent munching?

ragdoll74 12-07-2012 11:30 AM

That's wierd because I do something similiar when I am at work. I use cherry carmex like it's going out of style, constantly putting cuticle oil on my nails and using a lot of hand lotion.

I do chew gum still, but try to limit it. At home, I usually find little projects to do or some cleaning.

Ros4 12-07-2012 12:40 PM

I have always been a big reader. But, I am constantly buying magazines. I guess it gives me something to read, on days when i am not working, when I have finished my chores while the kids are at school. I guess reading a magazine when Im bored is replacing that large bag of Lays potatoe chips and recess cups that use to entertain me when I was bored ! Sad but true!

Debrasb 12-07-2012 01:39 PM

Loose teas, and finding new types and spending too much money on them.

Porthardygurl 12-07-2012 01:48 PM

hmm..chewing sugar free gum and drinking lots of different types of teas.

ablever 12-07-2012 02:00 PM

This is going to sound weird, but I look up recipes. IP has opened my eyes to a different way of living and eating and I occupy myself when I want to eat by looking up recipes that I want to try when I'm in maintenance. I look at the ingredients and try to come up with alternative recipes that will keep it tasty but healthier.

I also look up IP recipes that I want to try that would satisfy the current craving.

Last but not least, the holidays have made me crave lots of warm sweet treats so I found a way to give me a not-so-guilty pleasure. When I am done with all my packets and meals and still want something sweet, I will make peppermint tea and put a drop of peppermint extract, chocolate extract and some WF chocolate dip or syrup. Then I mix it all up and pretend I'm at Starbucks or something :)

Starshine 12-07-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ablever (Post 4550598)
This is going to sound weird, but I look up recipes. IP has opened my eyes to a different way of living and eating and I occupy myself when I want to eat by looking up recipes that I want to try when I'm in maintenance. I look at the ingredients and try to come up with alternative recipes that will keep it tasty but healthier.

I also look up IP recipes that I want to try that would satisfy the current craving.

Last but not least, the holidays have made me crave lots of warm sweet treats so I found a way to give me a not-so-guilty pleasure. When I am done with all my packets and meals and still want something sweet, I will make peppermint tea and put a drop of peppermint extract, chocolate extract and some WF chocolate dip or syrup. Then I mix it all up and pretend I'm at Starbucks or something :)

I do something similar. I love to find new veggie recipes that are IP friendly, and just trying to see how excited I get to try new veggies (today, it's an herb salad mix - just greens), and I'm am just so happy eating this for lunch (plus a packet). I'm also looking at buying new knives as a present for myself, as I really like to cook, and now that I'm more familiar with cooking for just one person (most recipes aren't like that), I'm having fun doing it, and look forward to more of it in maintenance (staying healthy though, I'm on a "greens" kick now).

And drinking a lot of water. I'm adding more teas in too (all herbal, so pretty healthy). Just plain teas. Love your idea of adding some chocolate to the peppermint tea! I'll have to try that one. :)

onmyway1014 12-07-2012 08:20 PM

are extracts allowed

I hope it ok to ask this here because people did mention peppermint extract. I'm new to IP 52 days and want to mix up the flavors a little so I bought some Almond and Peppermint extract to add to puddings or shakes.
I've been looking through posts to see if they are OK to use but couldn't find this info.
So can I use them, if so how much and how often.

Thanks!

southern 12-08-2012 05:04 AM

I didn't have to quit much. I stopped drinking sodas 8 years ago. Don't chew gum. And still have a snack

Well, I take that back. I smoked for a while to replace the relaxation of alcohol. But I found it...unladylike for me

EPAPRN 12-08-2012 07:34 AM

I drink decaf tea like it is going out of style! I have found a really yummy cinnamon streusel flavor by Red Rose, as well as peppermint, peach, cinnamon spice, etc. All herbal.

I use extracts sometimes - peppermint or almond in my chocolate shake- just make sure its sugar/alcohol/carb free

Nolawhodatchick 12-08-2012 08:08 AM

Call me crazy, but I watch the FOOD NETWORK!! Not just the "healthy food" shows (are there any?) I watch it all. I can't enjoy the food, but I enjoy seeing it and knowing it's out there. It's amazing how I calculate calories, fat, sugar, carbs in my head as I watch the recipes and say "no way it's worth the trade-off." For the things that I decide probably ARE worth the trade-off, I dream of when I am in maintenance and can have those things in moderation and I'm happy. I have to say, I can't watch some shows like Paula Deen where everything is fried and full of fat...I literally cringe!

southern 12-08-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick (Post 4551090)
Call me crazy, but I watch the FOOD NETWORK!! Not just the "healthy food" shows (are there any?) I watch it all. I can't enjoy the food, but I enjoy seeing it and knowing it's out there. It's amazing how I calculate calories, fat, sugar, carbs in my head as I watch the recipes and say "no way it's worth the trade-off." For the things that I decide probably ARE worth the trade-off, I dream of when I am in maintenance and can have those things in moderation and I'm happy. I have to say, I can't watch some shows like Paula Deen where everything is fried and full of fat...I literally cringe!

I could watched Chopped all day
They give me ideas for recipes.