Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #16  

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
True - though I don't think anyone here is trying to bulk up, just improve muscle tone and overall fitness. Also we are not "technically" operating at a calorie deficit in the way that you would think of with traditional diets - the ketogenic diets work because we consume less calories, but our bodies use up our stored fat to make up the calorie deficit to a normal functioning level.
I didn't mean bulk at all. That, for a woman, requires more heaving lifting, eating, and supplements than I think anyone here will be doing
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #17  

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Except in overweight novice lifters who can, for a short period, lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. (Also steroid users)

Which is what I called newbie gains
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #18  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
In conventional diets there are still glycogen stores from which the body can also draw energy. In ketogenic diets the glycogen stores are depleted and the fat stores are the go-to for making up the deficit.
This is correct but completely misleading because you could go an entire day and barely touch your gylogen stores but lets assume that you used a lot of glyogen stores for energy.

Where does the energy come from to refill the gylocgen stores that your body just used?

Another question - given any diet where protein intake is adequate - where does the energy to make up the deficit come from?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I have changed to IP from Medifast 4 weeks ago. On Medifast, which provided higher carbs and somewhat higher calories, I exercised 1 hr a day (Jillian Michaels cardio and toning). I had no problems there. I tried to continue with that on IP eating 4, then 5 packages a day and found I am winded 1/4 into each exercise program. I think IP is so low in carb that there is no endurance left for intense workouts (see scorbett1103's comment). If you are not already in good shape from exercising before, I would be careful at first. Muscle loss forced by intense exercising (particularly cardio, weights should be less of a problem) may affect your heart (which is essentially one big muscle). Immune function may also be compromised because your body may degrade immune cells for building blocks.

I miss working out and will give it another try soon. I am also glad I first focussed on exercising before dieting. Most of my inches lost were from 4 months of doing various Jillian Michaels workouts before starting my diet. I actually gained weight during that time. On a different note I did loose quite a bit (12 lbs) on my first month on IP without exercise. As far as I can tell it is mostly fat/water loss, not muscle. I am still looking for scientific evidence that a ketogenic diet induces fat loss specifically (what JohnP alludes to). But in my case it works and so far more effectively than Medifast. I can live without the exercise if this continues.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #20  

Height: magmeepEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmommy2 View Post
I'm right there with you Starshine! I really enjoy walking and I find it really helps me with my mood and general feeling of well being. I find it even more uplifting in the winter months when I really don't get outside in the sun much!
Kind of like therapy, right, sahmmommy? I know that now that I can move so much better without all the extra weight, I'm just absolutely loving walking so much (and not so slowly either). It just feels so right to me, and makes me feel so good. In winter especially. Plus just being in touch with the changing seasons makes me happy too.
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote