3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Lean Body Mass and protein requirements

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Back for a tweak
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 348

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Default Lean Body Mass and protein requirements

So the Phase 4 sheet says that we need to eat half of our Lean Body Mass in grams of protein. My lean body mass is 82 pounds, so that is 41 grams or 1.5 ounces!!!!!!!!????? How can that be right? I've been pounding back so much protein on Phase 1, 2 and 3, and for Phase 4 I only need let's say 2 ounces? Is my math way off??
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bella73123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 303

S/C/G: 209.6/209.6/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Your math is correct, and 1.5 oz is right. But this is a minimum daily intake, not a maximum.
__________________
Bella73123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: above 6000'
Posts: 352

S/C/G: 124.2/117.8/120 %BF27.1/24.5/?

Height: 5'4"

Default

I have always interpreted that to mean 42g of protein, not 42g weight of protein.

Some examples: 6 oz steak is 42g, 3.5oz chicken breast is 30g, etc

So, it is a little more flexible than the 8oz of protein you have been having in Phase 1.

As Bella stated, the 42g is the minimum (not a maximum goal) for you.

You will be cutting back from the 8oz at Lunch & Dinner that is part of P2 & P3 if you want to add the fats at lunch and the carbs at dinner, but not all the way back to 1.5oz total.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bella73123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 303

S/C/G: 209.6/209.6/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
I have always interpreted that to mean 42g of protein, not 42g weight of protein.

Some examples: 6 oz steak is 42g, 3.5oz chicken breast is 30g, etc

So, it is a little more flexible than the 8oz of protein you have been having in Phase 1.

As Bella stated, the 42g is the minimum (not a maximum goal) for you.

You will be cutting back from the 8oz at Lunch & Dinner that is part of P2 & P3 if you want to add the fats at lunch and the carbs at dinner, but not all the way back to 1.5oz total.
AH! I was only looking at it from a mathematical point of view...I'm only in phase 1 so haven't had to figure any of that out yet. What you are saying makes a lot more sense, thanks for the clarification!
__________________
Bella73123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 48

S/C/G: 265/233.7/220

Height: 5"11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
So the Phase 4 sheet says that we need to eat half of our Lean Body Mass in grams of protein. My lean body mass is 82 pounds, so that is 41 grams or 1.5 ounces!!!!!!!!????? How can that be right? I've been pounding back so much protein on Phase 1, 2 and 3, and for Phase 4 I only need let's say 2 ounces? Is my math way off??
That would be 41 grams of protein. That still is probably not nearly enough (its a minimum and just a guide). You'll get about 39 grams of protein from 3 IP packets (they average 13 grams each)... your dinner of 8oz meat will give you another 40+ grams or so.
az365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Back for a tweak
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 348

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
I have always interpreted that to mean 42g of protein, not 42g weight of protein.

Some examples: 6 oz steak is 42g, 3.5oz chicken breast is 30g, etc

So, it is a little more flexible than the 8oz of protein you have been having in Phase 1.

As Bella stated, the 42g is the minimum (not a maximum goal) for you.

You will be cutting back from the 8oz at Lunch & Dinner that is part of P2 & P3 if you want to add the fats at lunch and the carbs at dinner, but not all the way back to 1.5oz total.
This was a very good point thanks! Boy does it add up fast though - I put a typical day of food in Fitday and got over 100 grams of protein! Chicken, Greek yogurt, cheese, etc. of course the carbs add up just as quickly!
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: above 6000'
Posts: 352

S/C/G: 124.2/117.8/120 %BF27.1/24.5/?

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
This was a very good point thanks! Boy does it add up fast though - I put a typical day of food in Fitday and got over 100 grams of protein! Chicken, Greek yogurt, cheese, etc. of course the carbs add up just as quickly!
I wouldn't worry too much at being at 100g of protein for the day, as long as that still leaves room for fat and carbs (which it should). You can cut portion sizes of protein if you need to, probably somewhere between 41 and 82g is where you should end up, unless you are exercising a lot. I keep reading about anywhere from 1/2 of LM to all of LM depending on your body composition goals.

Definitely the protein requirement is less than it is on Phase 1, but possibly more protein than you might of been eating prior to IP. (At least for me, I wasn't paying enough attention to get in the protein I needed which contributed to needing IP in the first place, along with the overabundance of carbs.)

Last edited by infoplease : 12-07-2012 at 11:39 PM.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Reboot 9/2014
 
scorbett1103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,856

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by az365 View Post
That would be 41 grams of protein. That still is probably not nearly enough (its a minimum and just a guide). You'll get about 39 grams of protein from 3 IP packets (they average 13 grams each)... your dinner of 8oz meat will give you another 40+ grams or so.
The OP is talking about phase 4, or maintenance - when you no longer have the 3 packets per day

When you are in Phase 1, eating 3 packets per day plus 8oz meat protein will give you about 90-100g protein per day. Most IP packets are about 15g protein, and 8oz of dinner protein will give you about 30-40g protein.
__________________
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
Embracing the suck
 
JohnP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California - East Bay
Posts: 3,185

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
My lean body mass is 82 pounds, so that is 41 grams or 1.5 ounces!!!!!!!!????? How can that be right?
There is a massive difference between the amount of protein requried to maintain muscle when you're dieting with a steep deficit vs a moderate deficit vs a minor deficit vs maintaining.

Phase four is maintaining and you don't need a lot of protein to maintain muscle in maintinence, depending on your lifestyle and activity level.

Hope this helps.
__________________
"Getting solid information is easier than ever. Getting misinformation is even easier." - Kaplods

Maintaining for two years and I eat whatever I want - just not however much I want. Details here.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Back for a tweak
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 348

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
There is a massive difference between the amount of protein requried to maintain muscle when you're dieting with a steep deficit vs a moderate deficit vs a minor deficit vs maintaining.

Phase four is maintaining and you don't need a lot of protein to maintain muscle in maintinence, depending on your lifestyle and activity level.

Hope this helps.
Always does!! I am back to the weights so I guess I need a bit more because of that, but it's good to know I don't have to pound it back like I have been!!
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100 days on fruits veggies nuts and seeds Challenge! going2bskinny 100 lb. Club 13 10-31-2012 11:29 AM
IP program changes for protein tykesplace Ideal Protein Diet 16 10-21-2011 12:54 AM
Day 2 of my all liquid diet.. Talk about rough! cosmokindra Weight Loss Support 27 07-15-2011 12:59 PM
not losing!! megabismom Ideal Protein Diet 44 06-29-2011 06:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2