Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #1  
Restart Apr 8 2013

S/C/G: 218.6/207.6/141

Height: 5'6.5"

Smile From One Newbie to Another

Welcome!

This can all be rather daunting... I'd like to share what I've learned so we all have the best chance of success with the least amount of worry:

Planning ahead gives you such a better chance of success and enjoyment in the beginning.

You are likely to feel a bit emotional and tired in the beginning.

It would be unusual if you didn't hit a "plateau" somewhere after your initial weight loss. It seems to happen for most folks between weeks 2-4.

There are some great recipe threads here. Two that I love are by RainbowSmiles and LizRR. I am sure there are others I haven't discovered yet.

Lots of times, you can find an answer just by searching this forum.

You will sometimes get more than one answer but that is because this is such an individual experience, and what works for one may not for another.

You can always find the support you need here to stay on plan and feel good about it and yourself.

The stickies are important. Read them!

Drink all the water!

Keep backups supplies in your car so you are always prepared!

Everyone in your life might not support you in a way that is good for you. Keep going anyway!

Anyone else: Please feel free to chime in!
libertybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #2  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

And now from a NOT so newbie to the newbies....

This program works IF you STICK TO IT and NOT CHEAT. THAT my friends is the best advice I can give you. I have been on this program now for 81 as of Wednesday 82 weeks. I have NOT ONCE cheated on this program and this is why I have had the success of losing 204lbs in that amount of time.

You have to BELIEVE in YOURSELF and in the PROGRAM, if you FOLLOW the sheet it will work. You will see a lot of different advice here, all of us think we can "tweak" the program to our needs, fact is, the program is written down to the science of how what food works with EVERYONE's body so it works for EVERYONE. There may be a few changes that need to be made but those changes are up to your coaches (if you have one).

It is VERY important that you EAT and NOT SKIP any of the meals or products for the day, drink all of your water, eat your veggies, get your oil and salt in. ALL of these things play an important part in the protocol. As the above poster said PREPARE.....always be prepared for the unexpected. Life is going to throw you LOTS of curve balls, its how you handle them that matters. Learn to say "NO thanks" and remember this is a temporary way of eating its NOT forever. Once you get to your goal you can have "some" of the stuff you like in MODERATION of course.

Everyone CAN and WILL succeed BUT YOU have to put the work into it. YOU have to have your heart and mind into the program. IF you have any doubts at all ask yourself these questions...WHY am I going to do this diet? WHO am I doing it for? Your answers should be FOR ME....I AM WORTH IT.... Don't do it for your family, do it for YOU!.

You may not have the support you need but ultimately it is UP TO YOU to provide YOURSELF with the SUPPORT you need. ONLY YOU can do this, YOU have to be strong, YOU have to say NO, YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

I could go on and on but I won't, This is a great group to be a part of, I have seen many people come and go, then come back again because they never finished the first time they tried, they gave up. BUT they come back cuz they know it WORKS!

Good luck to EVERYONE on this journey, its a wild ride for sure. You will have ups and downs, losses, gains and stalls but the over all thing to remember is THE BIG PICTURE.....all of those things ADD UP to BIG results. So with that being said DON"T be discouraged when you have a small loss or a gain IF you are sticking to the program 100%, it is more than likely your body adjusting. I have had all of what I mentioned above but I knew I was faithful to the program and myself so I just let it go and not stress about it.....and my results speak for themselves.....
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #3  

Been on the plan for 7 weeks now, and still have a question that I'd like to see answered. Why is it that EVERYONE has the same requirements? It doesn't matter of you are 4'11" or 5'10" -- everyone follows the same protocol. I would think there would be some variation based on a person's size and gender...

I'll admit that I haven't read Dr. Tran's book so I don't know the full science behind it. So, if anyone would like to enlighten me, with why we ALL follow the same protocol with no ranges to account for physical differences, I would love to read your responses!

Thanks!
SassyGirl424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #4  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Everyone's body pretty much works the same. Its to get rid of the body fat without losing muscle. The program is designed to do just that. When I started I had 3 packts a day, I started at 428lbs the same as a person who weighed 200lbs, I didn't question it. I just went with it and haven't looked back. Never will either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGirl424 View Post
Been on the plan for 7 weeks now, and still have a question that I'd like to see answered. Why is it that EVERYONE has the same requirements? It doesn't matter of you are 4'11" or 5'10" -- everyone follows the same protocol. I would think there would be some variation based on a person's size and gender...

I'll admit that I haven't read Dr. Tran's book so I don't know the full science behind it. So, if anyone would like to enlighten me, with why we ALL follow the same protocol with no ranges to account for physical differences, I would love to read your responses!

Thanks!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyGirl424 View Post

Thanks!
While I have no scientific background or explanation, I think that it just teaches your body (and mind) to process food and fats differently. Great question and I would love the answer as well.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

It makes no sense from a science perspective. The amount of protein needed to retain LBM for 4'11" female is very different from that of a 6'9" male.

Why the IP diet does it this way ... probably has nothing to do with Dr Tran himself.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #7  
Restart Apr 8 2013

S/C/G: 218.6/207.6/141

Height: 5'6.5"

I read the book before I started. The plan is different in some ways, but not remarkably. I barely remember the book now after all the information I've gotten here...

In Dr. Tran's book, he discusses that you and your "coach" will determine the correct number of packets for your specific plan. But the more he goes on, it seems it is either going to be 3 or 4. I believe when the other guy became a partner and they created "Ideal Protein" from Dr. Tran's plan, the point was that 900 calories a day is the amount needed to support the muscle mass from becoming a fuel source. And that would not vary much. Again, this is why it is critical to have a well informed coach.

I think IP is great. I don't really have a criticism, but if I did, I think it would be that they need better quality control in the "coaches" they allow to profit from their product. Some coaches just aren't what they need to be. Others, I hear, are amazing.

For most of us, this forum provides the information our coaches might not. Folks don't answer a question they don't have the information to give a good answer to here.

Last edited by libertybelle; 12-04-2012 at 01:41 PM.
libertybelle is offline   Reply With Quote