Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #76  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I think it looks very good. When you are smaller unfortunately you do need pretty low calorie compared to bigger/taller people. I would try a menu like that for a few days and see what happens with your weight.
I know for a fact my daily caloric requirements to maintain are 1500 - I'm just trying to work out the macronutrient requirements. I think I'm looking at a max of 150 carb grams per day - that's the one I really have to watch! If I keep that under control I think I can manage the fat and protein pretty well.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 169/140/130

Height: 5'3"

I've been on phase 4 for about a week and I HATE it! I don't like writing down the carbs, protiens, fats & calories for every bite I put in my mouth. It takes me forever to make my food plan for the next day because I have to sit with a caluclator and figure it all out. Do I really have to do this for the rest of my life? I don't think I'll stick it out if I do. This part makes me crabbier than not eating did!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #78  
reboot 10/14/2014

S/C/G: 162.7/149.2/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Hey Hey Everyone!!

maile Agree with Determined, you're posts are always so calming! Glad you're around! Love your scale quote, might have to add that to my list of quotes I look at everyday.

Lizzy, Holly, Greeniris & fitgirl You have your own graduation class!

Cbl70 & JKfromIL I can lose in Phase 4 if I really want to (without doing anything but subtracting calories (specifically carbs). So add a little carbs in, a granola bar at supper is a good 'dessert'.

So I started Yoga, two sessions into it and I can feel and see a difference in my flexibility and feel a difference in my hips. I'm hopeful to start running again in Jan but I did promise myself to take it easy until I know for 'sure'.

I went to a Christmas party this weekend, apparently if you put a spread out in front of me and it's my fun day the old personality takes over and it's on the donkey kong! Whoa, I tried a little of EVERYTHING and then some! Definately felt gross yesterday...ugh!
I started running once in maintenance and started slow. now after 6 months I am training for my first half marathon! I have been telling myself for awhile now to incorporate some yoga too maybe I will try this week! keep us posted with what the doc says and if youwould like some beginner tips I'd be happy to share. God knows I have never been a runner until now!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #79  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKay View Post
I've been on phase 4 for about a week and I HATE it! I don't like writing down the carbs, protiens, fats & calories for every bite I put in my mouth. It takes me forever to make my food plan for the next day because I have to sit with a caluclator and figure it all out. Do I really have to do this for the rest of my life? I don't think I'll stick it out if I do. This part makes me crabbier than not eating did!
No, you don't have to do that for the rest of your life!

But you do need to do it for a few weeks. Have you tried myfitnesspal.com?
It will make it much easier.

I stopped entering food after about two months on maintenance because I was making myself crazy. I still pay attention, I just don't write it down.

What you are trying to learn is portion size for whatever foods it is that you like.
Then once it is in your head, you just pick your foods. Somedays you'll be up in calories a little and some days down, you're just trying to keep things within your range over the course of a week.

If things start to mess up, then I'll go back to tracking (or just know that I better stop eating "x" for a while).
Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #80  

I'm so glad to know this is temporary. I kept thinking if I wanted to count everything, I would've joined weight watchers! I understand why I need to count and measure for now.

I looked at myfitnesspal but it has different numbers than IP for raspberries and blackberries. That frustrated me because I liked counting all that protien in phase 3. (IP says 8g., myfit says 2g.) I have a lot of homemade venison/pork things like hotdogs... and since I don't know the exact count I don't know how to enter it. On my paper I just put a ? but don't think I can do that on the website.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #81  

Quote:
I'm so glad to know this is temporary. I kept thinking if I wanted to count everything, I would've joined weight watchers! I understand why I need to count and measure for now.

I looked at myfitnesspal but it has different numbers than IP for raspberries and blackberries. That frustrated me because I liked counting all that protien in phase 3. (IP says 8g., myfit says 2g.) I have a lot of homemade venison/pork things like hotdogs... and since I don't know the exact count I don't know how to enter it. On my paper I just put a ? but don't think I can do that on the website.
There has got to be a mistake on that paper. The Driscoll website says 1g protein and 8g fiber in a 1 cup, 60 calorie serving of raspberries. Could the IP sheet possibly say 0.8g? I wouldn't worry about the difference between one site saying 1g and another saying 2g, but 8g is kind of a big.

What you can do with myfitnesspal is go in and make a "recipe" for your homemade things based on best guess (like, 8lbs of meat, 2tablespoons mustard seeds, whatever) then say that this makes qty of 16, 4 oz servings and you'll get a reasonable guess on what you have. Or, just keep stuff like that to fun day. Or consider them a "slip" and have one a week on a non-fun day. On the website sometimes you can find what someone else has put in for "homemade sausage" or you can just enter a calorie count for a meal based on your best guess. I pulled up something someone had put into sparksrecipes and it had 4 oz as 220 calories, 10g of fat, about 1 carb and 30g protein. So, use that most typically as a protein at a "fat" meal, with a serving size of 4 to 6 oz and watch how much additional fat you add to the meal. When you have it at your "carb" meal, don't have any other fat at all at that meal. One Phase 4 sheet even suggested that salmon, as a fatty fish, should only be eaten at lunch/the "fat" meal.

You can go to a restaurant and just follow the rules--avoid carbs at the "fat meal" and minimize the fats at a "carb" rule and "eyeball" the portion size. You can have a glass of wine with dinner.

You don't have to try all this the first week. ; )

But try it during this first month or two as your focus on what skills you need to maintain, and build up a variety of foods and the quantities you can have them in (and which ones to avoid or have minimally).

You will learn that each person does it a little differently, based on what "reactions" they have on the scale to choices they make.

Overall, keep a P3 type breakfast, have protein & veggies at lunch & dinner, then you play with supplementing with fats (cheese, oil, nuts) & carbs (starchy vegetables, grains) per "the rules", plus get a snack in when needed.
I find it is not quite counting food groups and not quite counting calories, but kind of focusing on getting enough protein and filling up on vegetables instead of "fun" carbs, with the fats & carbs as "garnish". Keeping most of the eating "whole foods" with the occasional "processed thing" like a bar or packet for snack works best. This is what is working right now for me.

I am still learning, too, so my advice might not be 'all that', either.
Plus, I still will inhale sugary stuff on my fun day and I'm not sure why. I can't fill up on it and I feel pretty crummy the next day, so there are other things to work on once you get past the calorie counting.

Did your center give you a worksheet for phase 4 that didn't involve calorie counting?

Last edited by infoplease; 12-11-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Wrong attachment. I thought I had deleted it before I posted it.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #82  

Infoplease, Thank you so much!! I have gotten such a bad attitude about the whole thing plus my coaches were fired and I have a new one that I REALLY don't like. It makes me cranky! I will keep at it though and really appreciate your advice.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

SaraBean Thanks for the offer, might take you up on it. I was doing pretty good with 10-5 km runs. But then something happened to my hips - actually I think it's my butt muscle. I've been doing yoga to help out and getting weekly massages and I think it's starting to FINALLY make a difference!

SO, used Liz's pumpkin pie recipe for VIP's 3rd Phase 3 breakfast...he said "Wow, this really does taste like pumpkin pie" and has no interest in her cheesecake recipe. He mentioned the other day to someone that he was having theatre popcorn and 10 pumpkin pies for his first fun day. Which will be Christmas. Not sure where he's going to get theatre popcorn...BUT...I heard him and knew Liz had a pumpkin pie recipe.

I think I cemented his love...LOL
Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #84  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Infoplease, Thank you so much!! I have gotten such a bad attitude about the whole thing plus my coaches were fired and I have a new one that I REALLY don't like. It makes me cranky! I will keep at it though and really appreciate your advice.
You sound just like me LOL. I was a bit cranky about that too - it just doesn't sound like reality to have to count every morsel of food and have to plan for hours a week - not my reality anyway.

I have been a nortorious calorie counter for most of my life but it's not fun. I'm hoping that after a couple of weeks of doing it (I use FitDay because I've had an account for over 10 years and I have probably entered a thousand foods in there) that I won't have to do it anymore.

I think you will get a good idea after a few weeks what works for you. And don't get overly hung up on the exact macronutrient requirements. I don't believe it has to be an exact mathamatical formula - it's just a guideline, don't sweat the amount of cals or protein in a few berries.

One of my favorite moments was at Weight Watchers a few years ago was when people were arguing over how many baby carrots are allowed. The meeting leader said "none of us is here because we ate too many baby carrots, don't worry about it". I love that!!!!

Good luck, I'm officially on Day 1 of maintenance today. Looking forward to my tuna sandwich for lunch - with a side of baby carrots.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #85  
Back for a tweak

Default Christmas lunch with my boss

So my boss wants to to take me out for our annual Christmas lunch tomorrow and told me to pick the restaurant.

My absolute favorite is an Asian Fusion place that does an amazing coconut chicken curry that was my last meal before I started IP!! I would LOVE to go there again tomorrow. Today is Day 1 of Phase 4, is that a bad plan? It's all the "baddies": coconut curry sauce, white rice, and is served with a deep fried egg roll. FREAKING YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or do I go somewhere boring and have yet another chicken breast and side of veggies for the 1 millionth time. YAWN.

Last edited by slow2lose; 12-11-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #86  
IP Start: 8/17/12

S/C/G: 183/150/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Christmas lunch with boss

I would go...unless you have another "treat" day planned for this week.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #87  
reboot 10/14/2014

Quote:
SaraBean Thanks for the offer, might take you up on it. I was doing pretty good with 10-5 km runs. But then something happened to my hips - actually I think it's my butt muscle.
Ohhhh! My hips bothered me for awhile too!!! I never figured out why! I did switch to a nice pair of running sneakers (Nike LunerGlides) and that seemed to help! Glad the Yoga is helping

Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #88  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

SaraBean - I would appreciate some newbie runner tips... I have thought about starting, but not really sure how and don't know any runners. My dog (Robin, a yellow lab) would appreciate it too, I'm sure! She is often wanting to go faster when we are out walking.

I am also using MFP to track calories / nutrients. I don't find it too difficult. I can pretty much access it anywhere - computer at home or work, ipad, phone... You do have to eyeball the info for "reasonableness" - there is some bad data that people have entered in, but if you scroll down, you can always find one that is more accurate. (Oh, and if you have something packaged, the bar code scan is easy!)

I started this when I was still in phase 1 - curious about how many calories, etc. I was really getting, but have continued now for more than 3 months. I will probably do this until I am really comfortable in maintenance and I feel like my weight has stabilized.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #89  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Howdy folks! I skipped my morning run today as it was 25deg here in TX and 'the group' called it off. I am planning on hitting up a Bootcamp class and a quick 3-mile jog on the dreadmill this evening though. Hopefully 'the group' will do the 7-mile hill run tomorrow. I am doing this awesome Half-Marathon in Shiner, TX this Sunday (www.shinerbeerrun.com), it starts and ends at the brewery (and what a coincidence, my favorite brew!). Now that I have broken my sub-2:00 Half goal the pressure is off, it is supposed to warm up a little before then, not crazy about running in freezing temps...this is Texas after all!

Quote:
But then something happened to my hips - actually I think it's my butt muscle.
SO, used Liz's pumpkin pie recipe for VIP's 3rd Phase 3 breakfast...he said "Wow, this really does taste like pumpkin pie" and has no interest in her cheesecake recipe.
Ahhhh....I never tire of hearing about the "breathtaking buttocks"! And tell VIP I take that as a compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
My absolute favorite is an Asian Fusion place that does an amazing coconut chicken curry that was my last meal before I started IP!! I would LOVE to go there again tomorrow. Today is Day 1 of Phase 4, is that a bad plan? It's all the "baddies": coconut curry sauce, white rice, and is served with a deep fried egg roll. FREAKING YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My very first Phase 4 day was my Fun Day - I had a 4 course gourmet meal with wine pairing for Dallas Restaurant Week, and it was AWESOME! My coach had no problems with it, and said to just follow with my Phase 1 day. I say go for it if you are planning a cheat day, make it a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
I started this when I was still in phase 1 - curious about how many calories, etc. I was really getting, but have continued now for more than 3 months. I will probably do this until I am really comfortable in maintenance and I feel like my weight has stabilized.
I barely started using fatsecret.com when we had the Maintainers Challenge on there, which started just as I was entering Phase 4, wish I would have gotten in the habit sooner. It was really eye opening to see what exactly I was eating. I try to stay regular on there - but particularly if I teeter on the higher end of my 'danger zone' I make sure to track closely.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #90  
reboot 10/14/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
I am doing this awesome Half-Marathon in Shiner, TX this Sunday (www.shinerbeerrun.com), it starts and ends at the brewery (and what a coincidence, my favorite brew!). Now that I have broken my sub-2:00 Half goal the pressure is off, it is supposed to warm up a little before then, not crazy about running in freezing temps...this is Texas after all!
That race sounds awesome!!! Love that there is brewery involved!!!

And WOW you can run a half in less than two hours!!! That is super impressive!!! I cannot wait to just run my first half! Its in March and I am hoping to do it under 2:30. Looks like I could use some advice from you!

Good luck Sunday! Keep us posted!!!
Closed Thread