Back on the wagon & what is the best IP friendly BBQ

• Well, I am embarrassed to tell you how long I have been neglecting my diet but today the scale reminded me just how far I have sunk
    The good news, however, is I am picking up the pieces and going to see my friends at the clinic asap.

My question today is if anyone knows of a good IP BBQ sauce? My husband did not care for the Walden Farms one I purchased (Sorry i forgot which it was). If anyone has suggestions for a "manly sauce" that we can both have?

Jan
    Check out my blog where I write about my struggles and encouragement for other dieters. Jan's Blog
  • Welcome! I am not a big fan of WF products, except the pancake syrup. I bought a couple of Green Valley products. I usually put them in a sauce so I don't know how they taste by themselves.
  • Most BBQ sauces are made with a lot of sugar/molasses, so Walden Farms is the only one I know of that is "safe" on IP. There are a couple of different varieties, I use the Thick & Spicy all the time but I know there are two others I haven't tried yet. Maybe see if there's one that tickles his craving a little better?
  • Wecome back! That first step back is the hardest and you made it! Congrats!

I haven't tried it yet, but my coach told me a lot of clients mix the Walden Farms Thick and Spicy, Walden Farms Pancake Syrup, Dijon mustard, and I imagine perhaps vinegar, and seasonings like red pepper, if needed. I bought the products this week and was planning on trying it this evening. Will let you know how it works for me.
  • You could always make your own using mustard, vinegar, sugar-free ketchup, stevia and seasoning. Maybe a little WF syrup for flavor and sweetness.
  • Thanks for the replies everyone Good to know that WF is the only company right now, and I might just take nobylspoon's advice and we'll try making our own.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jan
    Check out my blog where I write about my struggles and encouragement for other dieters. Jan's Blog
  • Hi,

I often google Low-carb "whatever" recipe and can usually find alternatives...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=low-c...ient=firefox-a

for example this one looks promising:

Low carb BBQ Sauce
    Submitted by: LISA32989

Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients

1 c Tomato Sauce
    3 T Worcestershire Sauce
    1 T Cider Vinegar
    6 packets Splenda
    1 T Chili Powder
    2 t Tabasco Sauce
    2 t Garlic Powder
    1 t pepper
    1 t liquid smoke

Directions
    Combine and cook over low heat for 10 minutes

Number of Servings: 8

I know I'll be trying it!
  • just found another one... Almost no carbs! (http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19060001.php)

Indispensable Almost No Carb Barbecue Sauce
    This isn't a substitute for the "real thing," it's an improvement. It's so good the rest of the family gobbles it up and I have to keep making more.

3/8 cup vinegar
    1 1/2 cup tomato sauce. (1 15 oz can) Don't buy a tomato sauce that has spices or flavorings in it!
    3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoon yellow hot dog mustard
    3/4 tablespoon Franks Hot Sauce
    3/4 tablespoon salt (optional)
    1 dash cayenne pepper. Go easy!!!!
    3 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
    6 teaspoons Splenda or 18 drops of Liquid Splenda

Add vinegar and all other ingredients except mustard to a sauce pan and slowly heat. Put mustard in a cup and slowly stir in a couple tablespoons of sauce until well blended. Then add mustard mixture back to sauce in pan.

Bring to a boil, and lower heat. Let simmer for a few minutes. Let cool, then refrigerate.

Note: this sauce will taste a bit peculiar if you taste it when it is still hot. Don't worry! Something magical happens when it sits in the fridge.

Carbohydrates per Serving (1 tablespoon): Less than 1 gram. Half an ounce is 1 gm carbs, 6 calories.