Fabulous at Fifty+ .... A home for those of us 50 and older on IP! VOLUME 7

You're on Page 4 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: I may be crazy to leave the semi-warm down here (still gets below freezing at times), but neither DH nor I really like it here. I think up there is doable if we don't have to go out in the mornings no matter what to go to work. I hope to just sell things at yard sales and on ebay, help DH with the cars, and garden. Right now there is only dialup connectivity. No DSL, no cable, not even cell service in the area. We will look at satellite, but it's got limitations (had it before). Hope for something to be able to sell on ebay. The big challenge will be hauling everything up there. Still, I'm all excited. Maybe I can make it to goal by this spring. Pounds are hanging on now for dear life.

Molly
    Where are you moving, Molly? I would think you could make a fortune on ebay just doing consignment sales of clothes from all of the people on here! I bet I have given away thousands of dollars of clothes, which I was happy to do, but even better if someone had been able to sell on ebay and split the $$!
  • I made it - 100 pounds GONE
    Quote: Where are you moving, Molly? I would think you could make a fortune on ebay just doing consignment sales of clothes from all of the people on here! I bet I have given away thousands of dollars of clothes, which I was happy to do, but even better if someone had been able to sell on ebay and split the $$!
    We are moving to our cottage on a lake in the northern half of the lower peninsula of Michigan.

I have lots of things to sell on ebay, but our problem up there is the internet connectivity.

Clothes. I have not thrown out or donated a piece of clothing yet. OMG. Trash bag upon trash bag piled up. I was looking for a dress form to help display for the pictures, but haven't found one cheap enough to suit me.

Quote: Just wanted to say hi and post my new picture.

And Molly is also nearing the 100 pound mark! So wonderful!
    joysh - you look fantastic.

Yes, party time. I made the 100# loss today. Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and wishes. I'm a slow loser, so it's taken me 45 weeks.

I also measured for the first time in eons. I have lost 8.5" in my chest, 3.5" in my arms, 11.5" in my waist, 12" in my hips, and 3.5" in my thigh (still thunder thighs). I am very large boned, so I will always be larger than most for my height.

This would not have happened if it had not been for all of you. For you lurkers out there, the program does work if you stick to it. Not all of us lose as fast as others, but it happens.

Thanks again for the support,
    Molly

P.S. Rainbow, we miss you.
  • Quote: This week I've had a viral infection last week, but now coming down with VIPs bacterial infection, so started antibiotics this morning. Feel a nap coming on soon...have a good weekend...
    Feel better, Greeniris! Wow! You're 2 pounds from goal and moving to P3! How amazing!

Quote: Joysh - my son is graduating with his masters from Northwestern 2 weeks from yesterday. I LOVE Natchitoches - such a cute town. I went to the Christmas Festival last year when he was just starting. We'll all be back for graduation on the 14th!!
    What is your son's major? I teach there and I'll probably be there for the morning commencement. I've been here for 6 years and I really like it here. So you understand what Christmas Festival is all about. No one could have explained it to me accurately, except that it's probably like Mardi Gras.
  • Congratulations on making 100 pounds, Molly! What an awesome accomplishment! You should be very proud!
  • Quote: Yes, party time. I made the 100# loss today. Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and wishes. I'm a slow loser, so it's taken me 45 weeks.

I also measured for the first time in eons. I have lost 8.5" in my chest, 3.5" in my arms, 11.5" in my waist, 12" in my hips, and 3.5" in my thigh (still thunder thighs). I am very large boned, so I will always be larger than most for my height.

This would not have happened if it had not been for all of you. For you lurkers out there, the program does work if you stick to it. Not all of us lose as fast as others, but it happens.

Molly

MY HERO!!!

• Quote: We are moving to our cottage on a lake in the northern half of the lower peninsula of Michigan.

I have lots of things to sell on ebay, but our problem up there is the internet connectivity.

Clothes. I have not thrown out or donated a piece of clothing yet. OMG. Trash bag upon trash bag piled up. I was looking for a dress form to help display for the pictures, but haven't found one cheap enough to suit me.

joysh - you look fantastic.

Yes, party time. I made the 100# loss today. Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and wishes. I'm a slow loser, so it's taken me 45 weeks.

Molly

:x cheer: Here's to you sweet Molly, WOW! What an acomplishment!

Happy Sunday! Everyone, have a great day. Teena
  • Quote: Greeniris, I'm sure you will make the right decision. I sure can't advise you, but I'm sending the positive thoughts your way.

Today ended up being pretty fun. DH decided I needed company so he dutifully went to the garden/flower store and we shopped for a couple new ornaments. We stopped for lunch at Outback. Then we ended up at Lowe's and I found a new pot for my poor African Violet.

Thanks all for the support. I think tomorrow I'm going to go get my hair cut short! It's shedding either just normally or due to the diet - not sure which. I have taken Biotin for months, but shorter hair will be less of a pain I think. Then, I may just dye it as well... I haven't done that in a few years. We'll see.

Sounds like I got out of the house just in the nick of time! All this talk about cleaning got me thinking maybe I should have done that. Maybe a bit tomorrow.
    How exciting - a new haircut to go with your new body! Please share pics! I love my short hair - so low maintenance - even though DH would prefer it longer.
  • Quote: We are moving to our cottage on a lake in the northern half of the lower peninsula of Michigan.
    joysh - you look fantastic.Yes, party time. I made the 100# loss today. Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and wishes. I'm a slow loser, so it's taken me 45 weeks. I also measured for the first time in eons. I have lost 8.5" in my chest, 3.5" in my arms, 11.5" in my waist, 12" in my hips, and 3.5" in my thigh (still thunder thighs). I am very large boned, so I will always be larger than most for my height. This would not have happened if it had not been for all of you. For you lurkers out there, the program does work if you stick to it. Not all of us lose as fast as others, but it happens.
    WHOO WHOOO!!!!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! HOW WONDERFUL!!!!
  • Quote:
    Congratulations! You are an inspiration. Great Job!

Joysh you look fabulous! Great new pics!

I ordered a bracelet & charm from Amazon for my upcoming 100 lb . http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Charm-c...opean+Bracelet The reviews say the charm is smaller than it appears to be in the photo.
  • Wow so much news to catch up on!!!

I have to run but wanted to say happy,happy, happy for Molly!!!!!

What I hated about going to the clinic was the expection you "had" to lose 2-3 pounds a week which is likely impossible at over 60. So I switched to alternatives and saved a bundle.

Molly, you say you are a slow loser too by IPA standards but 100 pounds in less than a year at 60+???That is totally mind blowing!!!

I'll bet very few doctors would be able to see that kind of success with the many patients they are concerned with who are in their 60s.

Of course Molly is barely in the 60+ group but what a tremendous thing you are doing for your ongoing health Molly. Just think how much harder your ongoing recovery with your foot would be at 100 pounds heavier!

WAY TO GO MOLLY!!!!

Pat
  • Quote:
    Yay!!! Congratulations!!! So happy for you!

Quote: [/B][/COLOR]
    I ordered a bracelet & charm from Amazon for my upcoming 100 lb . http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Charm-c...opean+Bracelet The reviews say the charm is smaller than it appears to be in the photo.
    Very pretty indeed. That will be a lovely keepsake to celebrate your achievement.

-----

Joysh - love your recent pic. You are looking terrific.

I've had a small success myself this am... stepped on the scales soon after I got up, and it's registering a -1.5lbs. Yay! I credit my days on P3 for this... and my discipline re sticking 100% on P1 since Thursday. Seeing that loss on the scale certainly strengthens my resolve and reinforces me. (This is even after having a waffle yesterday for lunch, which is kind of shooting my 'flour=weight gain' theory in the foot. I notice I did have a fairly low sodium day yesterday).

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.
  • Quote: Wow so much news to catch up on!!!

I have to run but wanted to say happy,happy, happy for Molly!!!!!

What I hated about going to the clinic was the expection you "had" to lose 2-3 pounds a week which is likely impossible at over 60. So I switched to alternatives and saved a bundle.

Molly, you say you are a slow loser too by IPA standards but 100 pounds in less than a year at 60+???That is totally mind blowing!!!

I'll bet very few doctors would be able to see that kind of success with the many patients they are concerned with who are in their 60s.

Of course Molly is barely in the 60+ group but what a tremendous thing you are doing for your ongoing health Molly. Just think how much harder your ongoing recovery with your foot would be at 100 pounds heavier!

WAY TO GO MOLLY!!!!

Pat
    Thanks, Pat.

I ran into the same problem with the clinic I started with. Harassment when I was only losing 2# a week, "you're cheating" I have been on alternatives since April. I've lost 63# since then.

I like your compliment "barely in the 60+ group." 63, that's about a third of the way. Going way too fast.

Molly
  • Quote: Went shopping in my closet last night. Found that some of my favorite things now fit ( and will fit better after about 5-10 more pounds). Many of them perfect for the Holidays.
    LOVE the idea of shopping in my closet -- made me chuckle. How great it must feel -- good for you!!

Quote: I'm excited for you on the retirement and the move! Wow, that will be so nice for both of you. I am channeling the whoosh fairy your way.

Okay - skip this if you like it's blah blah poor me talk... but this is what I'm thinking: Work has been in my dreams, and I'm waking up every 3 hours thinking about it. It didn't help that I actually got up at 3 AM and went out and checked my work email and did some work for a hour this morning. Shopping isn't a good way to take my mind off it, as that gets expensive. Maybe I should go to the farm - although that's $60 in gasoline to go. Eating out is not in the picture anymore (that's what our old routine was - comfort foods). Maybe I'll go walking at the mall... (danger danger Will Robinson), oh shopping mecca and food court land of old... but it holds some beginning exercise (walking), things to see (in the warmth of indoors). There' also Molbak's http://www.molbaks.com/in-store.html this is place for oxygen, coffee, and green lush plants and flowers. Sort of like stepping into the jungle, only not as hot. They have a huge set of combined green houses, a couple gift shops with everything from yard maintenance to coffee cups, jewelry, candles, and t-shirts. It's a magnet for people shopping, but I haven't done it in years. They have quite the Christmas Tree displays too, and tons or ornaments. I could maybe allow myself to buy one ornament to commemorate this time in life, in between my old self and the new me that should be maintaining next year by this time. Hey, I could go to the zoo (naw too cold and wet today), or a movie (last time I went I couldn't fit in the seats worth a darn). Anyway, I need to do "something" just not sure what yet. DH would suggest house cleaning I'm sure - ugh. Maybe my sister-in-law is off work today.. I haven't talked to her in a couple weeks, or seen her since July. Text is sent... we'll see if she's free to come play. I'll follow up with what I landed on.
    Halfagain: Wow, that's tough to have such a stressful job. I'll have to read old posts to find out more about our situation, but I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote: Just wanted to say hi and post my new picture. Today was the Christmas Festival here in Natchitoches, LA.

Anyway, picture me drinking my chocolate RTD as I watch the parade with bunches of friends, eating my IP white cheddar chips from the shiny silver packet as I walk down among the fried food frenzy. I was absolutely fine!
    Joysh -- You look great!! Congratulations! I think you mentioned that you teach at Northwestern. What do you teach. My husband is a professor. Seems like a great job.

Quote: Yes, party time. I made the 100# loss today. Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and wishes. I'm a slow loser, so it's taken me 45 weeks.

WOW!! Molly, that's great, and an inspiration for those of us (like me) who are just starting. 100 lbs in 45 weeks seems like a really good rate to me. And, wow, the change in your measurements is impressive. You look great!

Quote: I ordered a bracelet & charm from Amazon for my upcoming 100 lb . http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Charm-c...opean+Bracelet The reviews say the charm is smaller than it appears to be in the photo.
    Nice idea -- fantastic to treat yourself. You deserve it. But I especially love the idea of getting a new haircut and dye job. Then you really feel like a new person. What fun!

I'm just starting IP. Heard about it shortly before Thanksgiving, and started right after. It's gotten easier after the first 3 or 4 days. I'm pretty excited about it. Reading these threads has really been a motivator!

I see several of you mentioned the Omron scale. Guess I'll look into that. I have a good scale for just weight, but I LOVE the idea of tracking other things. Any particular model you all recommend?

Well, off to get things done.
  • Have a great day, everyone!

Quote: Joysh you look fabulous! Great new pics!
    Thanks, Halfagain!

Quote: Joysh - love your recent pic. You are looking terrific.

I've had a small success myself this am... stepped on the scales soon after I got up, and it's registering a -1.5lbs. Yay! I credit my days on P3 for this... and my discipline re sticking 100% on P1 since Thursday. Seeing that loss on the scale certainly strengthens my resolve and reinforces me.
    Thanks, evepet! I haven't yet started to learn about maintenance and the other phases, but I think I'll be there some tie in January.

Quote: LOVE the idea of shopping in my closet -- made me chuckle. How great it must feel -- good for you!!
    Joysh -- You look great!! Congratulations! I think you mentioned that you teach at Northwestern. What do you teach. My husband is a professor. Seems like a great job.... I'm just starting IP. Heard about it shortly before Thanksgiving, and started right after. It's gotten easier after the first 3 or 4 days. I'm pretty excited about it. Reading these threads has really been a motivator!
    Hi BushyTailed! I teach music education. Are you in Louisiana? The job is good, but the pay is not great. I really like Northwestern and Natchitoches and enjoy working with the students and faculty.

Welcome to IP and to the forum. I read these for the 2 weeks before I started. It's great to be part of this community. Enjoy IP!
  • Quote: I'm up unusually late for me because I got sidetracked ordering some Christmas gifts online tonight. Just when I was thinking it was time to go to bed, I got leafing through the latest Canadian Tire flyer and saw some things that looked like good gift ideas...wanted to do some comparison shopping online.. and suddenly I'm realizing it's been two and a half hours I've been looking at stuff online. But I've found items that I actually like even better, at good prices, etc., and the order is placed. Should be delivered by the end of this week. Gotta love online shopping. I will still likely go to Canadian Tire tomorrow, to take advantage of the current good price on a couple of items that I actually need...I guess they'll end up being Christmas presents to myself. LOL.
    I'm very happy to say I finish all of my holiday shopping and didn't step into a store once, I did it all online. I hate the crowds and trying to find a parking space at the malls this time of year. Much happier internet shopping.

Quote: Just wanted to say hi and post my new picture. Today was the Christmas Festival here in Natchitoches, LA. Parades, (Louisiana style), parties, 80,000 people come to town, lots of food everywhere, fireworks, all the streets closed to cars, and lots of fun. If you've ever seen the original Steel Magnolias movie, it's that Christmas Festival - and that's our town.

Anyway, picture me drinking my chocolate RTD as I watch the parade with bunches of friends, eating my IP white cheddar chips from the shiny silver packet as I walk down among the fried food frenzy. I was absolutely fine!

The new picture is what I wore today and, of course, the beads are beads that were thrown from the floats, Mardi Gras-style.
    You look fantastic!!!

Quote:

Molly

100 pounds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So proud of you and all of your hard work.

Quote: I'm just starting IP. Heard about it shortly before Thanksgiving, and started right after. It's gotten easier after the first 3 or 4 days. I'm pretty excited about it. Reading these threads has really been a motivator!

I see several of you mentioned the Omron scale. Guess I'll look into that. I have a good scale for just weight, but I LOVE the idea of tracking other things. Any particular model you all recommend?

Well, off to get things done.
    Welcome to IP and this wonderful 50 plus group. So happy you could join us. This is the Omron scale we are all talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-514C...4479144&sr=1-2