Alternative products that will work on Phase 1

You're on Page 4 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: When figuring out carb couts for an alternative, do you subtract sugar alcohols? I'm thinking of using Detour bars with lower sugar. Here's the break down. Thanks for your help, in advance!

Total Carb 17g
    Fiber = 2g
    Sugars = 1g
    Sugar Alcohol = 14g

Net carb = 1g??
    As a general rule, no. I believe there are some forms of sugar alcohols that are not digested or do not have as much of an effect on the body, but it is not true for all forms of sugar alcohols. And just as fair warning, sugar alcohols can frequently have...unpleasant effects on your GI system.

I would treat that bar you posted about as a restricted, and pay attention to if it gives you an upset stomach.
  • Thanks! They're advertising this as Neg 1g of carbs, so they must think these sugar alcohols are the ones that are not absorbed, but I think the bigger issue here might be the impact on my stomach!
  • Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all of you for your posts, suggestions and discussions about alternatives.

I just placed my first order with Nashua and Vitacost and the process was made much clearer and easier thanks to all that was noted on these threads.

An especially big thank you to Molly (Wingnut), Scorbett and Rainbow for such detailed accounts and recommendations. I took those to heart and ordered many of your favorites.

And Lisa32989, you'd be so proud of me! I went all the way back to the earlier Alternative threads dating back to 2010 and read EACH and EVERY post so I could find the answers to all my questions without repeating them here! It was a bit tricky and hard to follow because there were a few threads but I spent the time and gleaned lots of information from all you experienced alter-NATIVES

Looking forward to my upcoming boxes....Christmas presents TO ME, FROM ME

• You've sure earned your stripes, Ablever! Enjoy some new variety. My fav is the choc or vanilla wafer that are the one bar. The wafers that are the 2 bars are too high carb for me, but oh so yummy!
  • Quote: Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all of you for your posts, suggestions and discussions about alternatives.

I just placed my first order with Nashua and Vitacost and the process was made much clearer and easier thanks to all that was noted on these threads.

An especially big thank you to Molly (Wingnut), Scorbett and Rainbow for such detailed accounts and recommendations. I took those to heart and ordered many of your favorites.

And Lisa32989, you'd be so proud of me! I went all the way back to the earlier Alternative threads dating back to 2010 and read EACH and EVERY post so I could find the answers to all my questions without repeating them here! It was a bit tricky and hard to follow because there were a few threads but I spent the time and gleaned lots of information from all you experienced alter-NATIVES

Looking forward to my upcoming boxes....Christmas presents TO ME, FROM ME

i love it!!! christmas presents from ME to ME!!! awesome!!!!! you did exactly the same thing i did when i first came here....it was worth reading through the thread!! way to go!! can't wait to hear about your goodies and what YOU like!!!
  • Glad to have helped ablever! Enjoy your new treats!!
  • Quote:

Nice work! I'm sure Lisa will be proud!!! I always think of her when I ask a dumb question that I'm sure is somewhere in these horrible to search threads that I have ZERO patience for . You are a TROOPER for getting through them!
  • Quote: Thank you! And WOW, that's a lot of fat! Reminds me of the recent posts with garlic and how its such a huge no-no (except used sparingly as a spice)!
    Can you tell me what's wrong with garlic or where these posts are? I searched for "garlic" but there's a lot of them out there.

Thanks.
  • Can someone please send me the link of where i can find the alternatives thread? I am on IP week 3 and its really getting expensive and would like to switch to alternatives as well. I would really appreciate the link to the thread.
  • This is the alternatives thread. Have you read thru the whole thing?
    There is good info here, including some links to previous alt threads

Good luck!
  • Quote: Can you tell me what's wrong with garlic or where these posts are? I searched for "garlic" but there's a lot of them out there.

Thanks.
    There's nothing wrong with garlic when you are talking about using a couple of cloves in a recipe that serves a few people, the concentration is small enough that it counts just as a seasoning/spice.

The question came up before about eating whole garlic as a veggie. 1 cup of garlic has 203 calories and 45g carbs, that's where it gets problematic
  • Quote: The question came up before about eating whole garlic as a veggie. 1 cup of garlic has 203 calories and 45g carbs, that's where it gets problematic
    !!!! I would think that would be problematic from more than one standpoint!
  • Hello, everyone!

Wondering if anyone wants to do the refer-a-friend with me on dietdirect. I'm about to place my first order and noticed that if someone who has already purchased from them refers me, we each get $10. So if you're interested, PM me.

If you'd like to share your tried and true favorites on the site, that would be welcomed and appreciated, too
  • I spent about 1/2 an hour reading to find this info that I know is out there, but gave up. What can I buy to replace the chocolate drink mix (for hot chocolate) and caramel crunch protien bars. These are my favorites from IP but since I'm hoping to not go back to my coach I need alternatives!
  • Quote: I spent about 1/2 an hour reading to find this info that I know is out there, but gave up. What can I buy to replace the chocolate drink mix (for hot chocolate) and caramel crunch protien bars. These are my favorites from IP but since I'm hoping to not go back to my coach I need alternatives!
    Chocolate drink alternative:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ternative.html

Caramel Crunch:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...vol-1-a-2.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...eed-ideas.html