Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #1  
Joined IP 6/11/12

S/C/G: 260/170/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Looking for good online body fat calculator, metabolic assessment tool

Hey peeps! I'm trying to find a reliable body fat calculator online and a metabolic survey or something online that I can use. My clinic has the right scales to do most of that, but they never used it. Now that I'm hitting maintenance this weekend (woohoo!) I'd like to know what my fat % is starting maintenance so I can track and adjust and any metabolic assessment tools that are reliable (I know it'll be a relative thing since it's online).

I really wished my clinic had done these things like others I read about. For those (and you know who you are!!!) that have clnics that actually do nutritional counselling, and all the assessments (medifast does a good job at that part, btw. my boss did medifast), consider yourself blessed!!! I bought food, got measured every 2 weeks, weighed, and got an "atta boy" pat on the head and not much more from my clinic.

Thanks in advance. I hope everyone is doing well and staying strong during the holidays. I almost think starting maintenance now is not a good thing, but I haven't cheated one time and I'm in this to rediscover the thin man inside me and keep him present and accounted for!!! LOL

See ya!
Ken
ChileheadKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Try this page to start:
http://www.linear-software.com/online_old.html
If you go to the far right you can use inches instead of calipers.
You can also go to your local gym and BS your way into getting them to measure under the guise of joining, probably. ; )

This is the perfect time to be on maintenance. You're still scared of gaining it back, so you will choose wisely (within plan rules, "slip" or "fun day") AND, trust me, you eat too much sugar or too much in general and you will be looking forward to a Phase 1 day.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #3  
Restart Apr 8 2013

S/C/G: 218.6/207.6/141

Height: 5'6.5"

My husband bought aTanita Iron Man scale a while back. It is good and reliable, but expensive! (not the $300 one!) Recently I have seen them for much less at Walmart or Target. My suggestion would be to check out Amazon and search for a body compositon and then sort the results in the Health department by customer reviews, or by price for the ones with 4star reviews. I would do it for you but SLOW and wonky internet connection at the moment. I saw handheld thing for around $30 earlier.
One caveat: if you have high arches, don't get a scale that has the strip you stand on to measure composition. My clinic has that and it won't measure my composition, only my weight. My coach said it doesn't register anyone with high arches.

Last edited by libertybelle; 11-29-2012 at 07:33 AM.
libertybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #4  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

I bought this Omron scale from Amazon. It's on sale now for $68.39. I think it works pretty good and has memory, so you can scroll through and see what your previous weight, body fat%, bmi, etc was.

Omron HBF-514C Full Body Composition Sensing Monitor and Scale

I don't think that high arches are an issue with this one, because there are 2 sensors for each foot (one for heel and one for front of the foot).
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #5  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I have an Omron full body composition scale too, which I've appreciated using. But I do agree that they are best to use to just monitor the overall trends.

Are you near a Lifetime Fitness Centre? Just this am I read an article discussing about the most accurate ways to measure body fat%, and introduce something called InBody body fat testing... which is apparently offered as a service at Lifetime Fitness Centres. The article says you can just purchase the test, and don't have to be a club member (although I'm sure you'd get a sales pitch... who knows, you might want to join).

Worth looking into?

http://caloriecount.about.com/blog/p...term=continue2
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I would forget about that and find a pair of pants to use as your goal pants. If they fit you should be pretty close to goal. If not, it's a wake up call!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote