Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #1  
I'm just saying...

S/C/G: 182.5/see tracker/147

Height: 5'10"

Default When Choosing Alternatives to IP, Beware

Probably most of you are already aware of this, but just in case. One of the many things that attracted me to the IP diet was that the ingredients were non GMO as well as otherwise "unpolluted". I understand it's expensive and thus hard on budgets, but make sure if you buy less expensive substitutes that you get similar value. If the protein sources in them are loaded with GMO products as well as hormones, pesticides, antibiotics and drugs residues, you might lose your health along with the weight. And THAT would be a LOT more expensive in the long run.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuli View Post
Probably most of you are already aware of this, but just in case. One of the many things that attracted me to the IP diet was that the ingredients were non GMO as well as otherwise "unpolluted". I understand it's expensive and thus hard on budgets, but make sure if you buy less expensive substitutes that you get similar value. If the protein sources in them are loaded with GMO products as well as hormones, pesticides, antibiotics and drugs residues, you might lose your health along with the weight. And THAT would be a LOT more expensive in the long run.
Whey protein comes from only a few sources in north America and the milk sources are all non organc and hormone laden. If you have evidence that IP protein packets use whey from organic milk sources I would be very interested to see it. Based on the ingredients they use in the packets and the reliance on the cheapest kind of protein (whey concentrate) I have serious doubts that you've gotten accurate information.

On a related note - most people think organic means pesticide free. It doesn't. It just means the pesticides used are organic. They are no less poisonous.

GMO products being hazardous for ones health is also highly suspect. I'm not pro GMO I'm simply pro evidence before jumping to conclusions.

Overall I think it's a pretty rediculous assertion that you're making, that alternative products are somehow inferior and your health may suffer long term because of it. However, I am easily swayed when evidence is provided to back ones claims. Got any?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #3  
I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Whey protein comes from only a few sources in north America and the milk sources are all non organc and hormone laden. If you have evidence that IP protein packets use whey from organic milk sources I would be very interested to see it. Based on the ingredients they use in the packets and the reliance on the cheapest kind of protein (whey concentrate) I have serious doubts that you've gotten accurate information.

On a related note - most people think organic means pesticide free. It doesn't. It just means the pesticides used are organic. They are no less poisonous.

GMO products being hazardous for ones health is also highly suspect. I'm not pro GMO I'm simply pro evidence before jumping to conclusions.

Overall I think it's a pretty rediculous assertion that you're making, that alternative products are somehow inferior and your health may suffer long term because of it. However, I am easily swayed when evidence is provided to back ones claims. Got any?
I too refuse to jump to conclusions before I have full evidence. Ergo, my body and person are not going to be the guinea pig that collects that evidence. Anyone who still believes that the big food corps or the FDA sincerely care about our health and well being rather than their own pockets, better do a little real research into the number of drugs, food or household ingredients, and so forth that were at one time considered perfectly safe yet proved to be lethal.

However, anyone who believes that GMO and non-organic toxins laden foods are better than or as good as organic, is perfectly welcome to continue to consume them. I would recommend, none-the-less, a little more thorough and less glib research into the reasons our oh so scientifically enlightened culture has ever increasing auto immune disorders, obesity and other illnesses. Must be a total coincidence between that and what we put in our bodies...

One must not just believe in and fall prey to "authorities" and self-proclaimed "experts" who follow the established fixed ideas and false data of many main stream "scientists" some of whom refuse to look at the truth when it stares them in the face. It reminds me of those doctors who said they would "rather err with Galen than proclaim the truth with Harvey" when Harvey discovered that the heart circulated the blood in the body (Galen scientifically approved assertion was that the heart simply produced heat and the blood passed through some invisible pores, or some such nonsense).

Actually a lot of the IP protein is in fact from non GMO soy, and not "mostly whey". And where did you get your info that all whey protein only comes from non organic sources?

Finally, I did not make any assertions, ridiculous or otherwise about alternative meals. I just said to check them out.

Last edited by Tuli; 11-22-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

The burden of proof is on you. You're suggesting alternatives ~might~ be worse than actual IP foods but I've seen no evidence that IP official foods are GMO free or organic. If you're not going to provide any evidence than I'll just have to go by what the IP website says which is nothing about organic.

Here is what i Do know. They use artificial sweetners so I already know they are not 100% organic. Since they don't use milk protein (which would be much more natural) and instead use much cheaper whey concentrate I'll assume they're not spending 4x the money to have organic whey. As for them using soy protein, I haven't seen every packet. So I'll trust you're right on that point.

By the way - I'm not disagreeing with you regarding GMO products. I've got no illusions that Monsanto or the FDA are looking after our best interests. My point is more that if GMO products are bad for you the concequences are certainly long term. We don't know if IP products use GMO or not - or if alternatives do or not.

At this point - you simply seem to be spreading FUD and using logical fallacies to make some weird point I don't even understand.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #5  
I'm just saying...

Quote:
The burden of proof is on you. You're suggesting alternatives ~might~ be worse than actual IP foods but I've seen no evidence that IP official foods are GMO free or organic. If you're not going to provide any evidence than I'll just have to go by what the IP website says which is nothing about organic.

Here is what i Do know. They use artificial sweetners so I already know they are not 100% organic. Since they don't use milk protein (which would be much more natural) and instead use much cheaper whey concentrate I'll assume they're not spending 4x the money to have organic whey. As for them using soy protein, I haven't seen every packet. So I'll trust you're right on that point.

By the way - I'm not disagreeing with you regarding GMO products. I've got no illusions that Monsanto or the FDA are looking after our best interests. My point is more that if GMO products are bad for you the concequences are certainly long term. We don't know if IP products use GMO or not - or if alternatives do or not.

At this point - you simply seem to be spreading FUD and using logical fallacies to make some weird point I don't even understand.

Here is one link for my "burden of proof":

http://www.billingslastdiet.com/FAQ-s

And yes, it is quite clear to me that you do not understand. Also, I think it is a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited by Tuli; 11-22-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/134/115

Height: 5'1

I have not seen ANYTHING that states IP is organic. Moreover, most of the packs are in fact NOT soy. I am actually curious (I do not know) if they are actually non-GMO anyway. There official site does not say this, and we all know there are 10001 ways that coaches change protocols and design the program. I would think that if they were actually non-GMO they would mention this on their official site, no?

I have nothing against people paying for IP, but I assure you that one can buy equal quality and even better quality elsewhere. This is not the reason to do or not do IP. What IP has going for it in regards to the food is the variety. Why I would pay for IP is the coaching....if the coach was good.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuli View Post
Here is one link for my "burden of proof":

http://www.billingslastdiet.com/FAQ-s
Cool. Now all you need to do is dig up some evidence* that IP protein is organic and alternative products are not. You're on your way to gaining credibility.

*Obviously advertising isn't evidence but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since no genetically modified animals have actually been appoved for commercial use.

By the way - isn't it great that we can have this discourse and everyone can learn new things?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #8  
I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortneyMarie622 View Post
I have not seen ANYTHING that states IP is organic. Moreover, most of the packs are in fact NOT soy. I am actually curious (I do not know) if they are actually non-GMO anyway. There official site does not say this, and we all know there are 10001 ways that coaches change protocols and design the program. I would think that if they were actually non-GMO they would mention this on their official site, no?

I have nothing against people paying for IP, but I assure you that one can buy equal quality and even better quality elsewhere. This is not the reason to do or not do IP. What IP has going for it in regards to the food is the variety. Why I would pay for IP is the coaching....if the coach was good.
Hey CortneyMarie!

No doubt there are other products just as good or better and if they are cheaper, that's great! All I suggested is - check it out and make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

The majority (by far) of the boxes I have from IP have soy listed as the first ingredient. I just checked. Maybe I just happened to buy those that do. I certainly haven't checked each and everyone of their foods.

I did see another article (in addition to above link) about IP soy being non GMO and carefully double checked by them even after it is certified by the lab they use. However, I am not able to re-locate it right now. To resolve all such questions I e-mailed them and will post the reply when I get it.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #9  
it's always something

I'm curious about this as well

I noticed several unofficial websites, such as the Billings site linked above, that state the ingredients are non-GMO. However, the official website doesn't make that claim so I'd take it with a grain of salt until they do. I'm assuming it's not on the product labels as well, or there wouldn't be a question about it.

Generally speaking, if an ingredient (on any product, not just IP) is non-GMO then the packaging will always specify this because its a huge selling point that their marketing department would not pass up. Also, non-GMO ingredients cost more since GMO ingredients are created to be cheaper. Why would IP choose to pay more for something that they were not willing to disclose on the label? The same goes for organic ingredients. Of course they can't say IP products are organic because they contain a lot of artificial ingredients, but they could say that certain ingredients are organic if they are so.

Of course the ingredients could be non-GMO and/or organic. It just doesn't make sense that they would use higher quality ingredients and not tell customers. If so, they need to update their labels!

I contacted Ideal Protein to ask for the scoop on non-GMO ingredients and I'll let you know as soon as they respond
Old 11-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/134/115

Height: 5'1

I just looked at all the IP products I have left (5 different ones) and only one (soy nuts) have soy as the first ingredient. Some have soy down the list but most are mainly whey concentrate as John said...maybe it is just luck but I have everything from soup, to crisps, to shakes..

I have moved to alternatives and I assure you that there are many products out there that are pretty much the same ingredients and some brands are in fact the same products re-packaged. It IS true that you have to do the work of making sure they are in line as some other brands (like Adkins) tend to be much higher fat. I have also found many that are less fat/carbs and higher quality protein...it goes both ways.

I guess at least we can agree that they are NOT organic
Old 11-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:

You are not the only one!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #12  

My IP products do not list soy as the first ingredient either. I guess I doubt that they are non GMO. I think that this would be a BIG selling point for them and something that they would advertise
Old 11-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #13  
I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortneyMarie622 View Post
I just looked at all the IP products I have left (5 different ones) and only one (soy nuts) have soy as the first ingredient. Some have soy down the list but most are mainly whey concentrate as John said...maybe it is just luck but I have everything from soup, to crisps, to shakes..

I have moved to alternatives and I assure you that there are many products out there that are pretty much the same ingredients and some brands are in fact the same products re-packaged. It IS true that you have to do the work of making sure they are in line as some other brands (like Adkins) tend to be much higher fat. I have also found many that are less fat/carbs and higher quality protein...it goes both ways.

I guess at least we can agree that they are NOT organic
All of the following - from the ones I have - have soy as the first ingredient: Mushroom Soup; Soy Patty; Leek Soup; Crispy Cereal; Chili; Spaghetti; White Cheddar Curls; Caramel Crunch Bar; Caramel Nut Bar; Chocolate Bar. I'll say that's quite a few.

Last edited by Tuli; 11-22-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #14  
I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
[/COLOR]

You are not the only one!
Whatever you are confused about, I will be happy to explain.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #15  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

Hmm - Billingslastdiet is actually the clinic I go to. I reviewed the info on that link, and then I looked at every IP box in my pantry and the IP Nutritional Fact Sheet I'd printed out. Despite the claims that most products contain "a whopping 20 gr. of protein," I could only find three; every other product falls short. I can also find no reference anywhere to GMO on the product labeling or the Nutritional Fact Sheet, so I'm not sure where that claim comes from.

And yes, the majority of my products (drinks, puddings, cereal, omelet) list whey protein rather than soy - along with aspartame in a couple of them.

I'm not stating an opinion one way or the other about whether IP products are better or worse than other products on the market. I will say that I did some math, and it's cost me almost $50 per pound lost on IP, which is why I'm going to switch to alternatives and actual real food.
Closed Thread