Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #31  

I just happened to see a TV show about how bad soy has become, it really didn't take much research. Soy is a cheap protein source, soy and corn are the most genetically modified crops because of their utility.
Ya know, I'm of the school that whatever you eat, it's bad for you. Even organic, yes certified organic food often gets recalled.
But it seems that every so often someone starts a thread about how much better actual IP is than alternatives. Is this their way of justifying the cost? Maybe. But some of the claims people make are laughable.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #32  

It would be interesting to see the companies who make all of the different products. When you look at some of the generics in the stores they are made by the big companies just labeled differently
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #33  
I'm just saying...

S/C/G: 182.5/see tracker/147

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugh73 View Post
Have you been drinking IP kool-aid? Soy is one of the most genetically modified crops. Just because a product lists soy as the first ingredient doesn't make it GMO free, in fact it's probably the opposite if you are so concerned with GMOs".
Nope, I didn't drink their kool-aid. Wouldn't touch anybody's kool-aid, in fact. I find kool-aid quite unpalatable. But why do you ask? don't see how that relates. And nope, I do not think that because soy is listed as the first ingredient it's either better than other sources of protein or is not GMO. I was just responding to the claims of an earlier statement by JohnP claiming that IP uses mostly whey protein because it is cheaper.

Last edited by Tuli; 11-23-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGirl3 View Post
Wow - You guys really impress me with your research! I'm beginning to mourn for my blissful ignorance, though . Although, as a woman who grew up around farming in the 1960's, I suspect I've already ingested enough nasty chemicals that a few weird protein products aren't going to change the course of my life. Still, I'm starting to feel like throwing away everything in my pantry and fridge and restocking at Natural Grocers!
What you were eating on a farm in the 1960s was nothing like what we are being fed now with the same names. And lord knows what we will find out later about what we wre getting from 'natural' growers.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #35  
I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
What you were eating on a farm in the 1960s was nothing like what we are being fed now with the same names. And lord knows what we will find out later about what we wre getting from 'natural' growers.
There are definitely some decent folks growing good healthy food out there. I won't name any names of products, to avoid another uproar, but don't give up hope and get all cynical.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #36  
it's always something

I received a response from Ideal Protein and they were not willing to say that any of their products were non-GMO, which appears to confirm that they do use GMO ingredients.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #37  
I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I received a response from Ideal Protein and they were not willing to say that any of their products were non-GMO, which appears to confirm that they do use GMO ingredients.
Thank you! That settles that! So now the question is, does anyone know of a similar line that IS non GMO and organic?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuli View Post
Nope, I didn't drink their kool-aid. Wouldn't touch anybody's kool-aid, in fact. I find kool-aid quite unpalatable. But why do you ask? don't see how that relates. And nope, I do not think that because soy is listed as the first ingredient it's either better than other sources of protein or is not GMO. I was just responding to the claims of an earlier statement by JohnP claiming that IP uses mostly whey protein because it is cheaper.
What? Your first post says IP products are non GMO. Then you said later it was soy, in all your packets. Nearly all soy is GMO. Why did you start this thread?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuli View Post
Probably most of you are already aware of this, but just in case. One of the many things that attracted me to the IP diet was that the ingredients were non GMO as well as otherwise "unpolluted". I understand it's expensive and thus hard on budgets, but make sure if you buy less expensive substitutes that you get similar value. If the protein sources in them are loaded with GMO products as well as hormones, pesticides, antibiotics and drugs residues, you might lose your health along with the weight. And THAT would be a LOT more expensive in the long run.
????
Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #40  

Quote:
????
That was my question too earlier on . Again ???
Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #41  
I'm just saying...

[QUOTE=Ugh73;4537323]What? Your first post says IP products are non GMO. Then you said later it was soy, in all your packets. Nearly all soy is GMO. Why did you start this thread? [/QUOTE

Good question. I saw two different articles on the Internet that said their Soy was non-GMO, one was by a clinic that uses the products (link in an earlier post in this thread). The other one I could swear was by the company because it went into a lot of details of the soy being non GMO and about the independent lab that checks their food and the extra steps they take in addition to that before they even let the ingredients into their own lab. I had no reasn to suspect it was untrue data. It was one of the reasons I decided to do the diet. Unfortunately I cannot find this article again anywhere and now it turns out it was false information. Very sorry about that.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #42  

[QUOTE=Tuli;4537333]
Quote:
What? Your first post says IP products are non GMO. Then you said later it was soy, in all your packets. Nearly all soy is GMO. Why did you start this thread? [/QUOTE

Good question. I saw two different articles on the Internet that said their Soy was non-GMO, one was by a clinic that uses the products (link in an earlier post in this thread). The other one I could swear was by the company because it went into a lot of details of the soy being non GMO and about the independent lab that checks their food and the extra steps they take in addition to that before they even let the ingredients into their own lab. I had no reasn to suspect it was untrue data. It was one of the reasons I decided to do the diet. Unfortunately I cannot find this article again anywhere and now it turns out it was false information. Very sorry about that.
OK now, I see where you were coming from. I thought from the beginning you were a misinformed coach.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #43  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm not an IPer but I've looked into meal replacement products in the past. I eat soy and see no issue with it BUT I avoid soy isolate that meal replacements use. I also avoid whey for a variety of reasons, I just don't think it's very good for you. The thing is it'd be very hard to make palatable low calorie meal replacements without soy or whey. Both ingredients are very cheap too so making a non-gmo/hormone free version would be cost prohibitive for companies.

If it is a concern of yours, then you have to look at it as a trade off. Either you take the replacements even though it isn't your ideal or you move to a program without replacements. Personally, replacement programs never worked well for me but other people are different. Now there are meal replacement products not part of a program that are soy/whey free and organic/mostly organic. These products are pricey and considered to be used for only 1 meal and nothing like IP, Medifast, Optifast or similar programs. So again, you have to figure what trade offs are acceptable and figure out your short and long term plans are in terms of weight loss and maintenance.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #44  
I'm just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I'm not an IPer but I've looked into meal replacement products in the past. I eat soy and see no issue with it BUT I avoid soy isolate that meal replacements use. I also avoid whey for a variety of reasons, I just don't think it's very good for you. The thing is it'd be very hard to make palatable low calorie meal replacements without soy or whey. Both ingredients are very cheap too so making a non-gmo/hormone free version would be cost prohibitive for companies.

If it is a concern of yours, then you have to look at it as a trade off. Either you take the replacements even though it isn't your ideal or you move to a program without replacements. Personally, replacement programs never worked well for me but other people are different. Now there are meal replacement products not part of a program that are soy/whey free and organic/mostly organic. These products are pricey and considered to be used for only 1 meal and nothing like IP, Medifast, Optifast or similar programs. So again, you have to figure what trade offs are acceptable and figure out your short and long term plans are in terms of weight loss and maintenance.
Thank you Nelie. You are right, of course. It is a dilemma though. In all my years I have never ever been able to lose weight this fast and this easily. I am thinking, since it's going to be a rather short program for me overall and since I have a very healthy life style otherwise, it would probably not kill me :-) Besides, at my age, if GMO turns out to have long term ill health consequences, it probably won't matter much by the time they hit home... :-)

Last edited by Tuli; 11-23-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I think I would be more concerned whether the soy/whey is from the US or China. The latter is probably the source of the heavy metal drinks. GMO, while not good for the environment, does not seem to have any negative health effects. Heavy metals certainly do if you ingest them regularly. In any case, hopefully one only takes meal replacements for a relatively short period of time. If I remember correctly, Medifast uses soy from the US. I have not checked IP products.
Closed Thread