Old 11-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #1  

Angry So Frustrated!!!!!!

I am on day 11 of IP. The first week was tough and slow but on day 6 my scale moved 5 lbs. 1st week loss overall was 6.8....i have been doing EVERYTHING RIGHT to the letter of the program and the past 2 days the scale has actually gone up 1.5 lbs. It makes me want to scream. I know I am in ketosis because I have the ketostix....so what made the scale go up! It's making me crazy. I feel hungry and deprived and I have gained weight?!? WHAT?!?!?!?
Any ideas? I had blood work done last week to check my thyroid but I don't have the results yet. I'm just deflated, hungry and confused and in tears.
Please help!
msclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by msclayton View Post
I am on day 11 of IP. The first week was tough and slow but on day 6 my scale moved 5 lbs. 1st week loss overall was 6.8....i have been doing EVERYTHING RIGHT to the letter of the program and the past 2 days the scale has actually gone up 1.5 lbs. It makes me want to scream. I know I am in ketosis because I have the ketostix....so what made the scale go up! It's making me crazy. I feel hungry and deprived and I have gained weight?!? WHAT?!?!?!?
Any ideas? I had blood work done last week to check my thyroid but I don't have the results yet. I'm just deflated, hungry and confused and in tears.
Please help!

This situation has been posted many many times here. When you have a huge loss the first week the body has to adjust to it. The huge loss was a lot of water and now the body is rearranging as to what is actually really fat loss.
Expecting to continue to lose weight at such a rapid rate is unrealistic.

You are not supposed to weigh everyday because weight loss is not linear. Most people remain steady or go up a bit and then have a drop once a week or so.

Getting in a state about daily weighing adds to the problem because stress upsets weight loss.

Pat
Others will likely come in and explain it more scientifically but basically that is what is happening.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by msclayton View Post
Please help!
Step 1: STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF EVERY DAY. You are driving yourself crazy! And stressing about the numbers day to day is going to make you retain water If you are following the program you WILL lose weight. The scale is just a trend watcher, not judge and jury. A person's weight can fluctuate by 2lbs in a single day, and weight will go up and down day to day - but it doesn't mean you aren't losing fat. Your body may be retaining a little water, or gearing up for a WHOOSH of weight loss. Just trust the program and the 25 years of research and development behind it

Step 2: Toss the ketostix. They're a waste of money, and not really helpful for folks on IP. It's another gateway for you to get stressed out if god forbid the sticks don't show ketones one day - just get rid of them and save yourself the anxiety!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218.6/150.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Same thing happened to me the second week. It is frustrating - especially so early in. IP was all I thought about. I still don't like it when the scale goes up (temporarily), but after 7+ months, I know the protocol works. If it bothers you so much, stay off the scale. It will go down, but it may go up periodically as well. In fact, it will go up periodically, so either accept that fact or just weigh in once a week. Even then, you may have a week where you actually gain. It is always temporary if you are following the protocol.
sanibelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

I tried the ketostix for a week after being 100% IP after a month and they NEVER said I was in ketosis. Well, I have lost over 60 pounds so I am guessing the stix were wrong. If you are following the plan, drinking your water, you WILL lose. My trend throughout the entire process was 2 great weeks, then a low week. As scorbett said, you have to give your body time to adjust and DO NOT WEIGH DAILY! Good luck!!!! :hugs:
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #6  

As everybody said, don't worry about it. The weight will come off if you stay OP. Don't get frustrated and down on yourself because it just gives you an excuse to go off program. Stay OP and you will be happy with the results
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #7  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Just chiming in to say your weight (or at least mine) can fluctuate by 7lb through the course of the day. If you are so emotional over the scale it is best to stay off of it. I was a daily weigher in P1, but never took it seriously, I found the trend interesting. If you are truly following the program then you have no cause for stress or worry...it works, give yourself a chance.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Personally I see no reason why you shouldn't weigh yourself every day you just have to divorce your emotions from what you see on the scale because as pointed out weight loss is rarely linear even if you weigh yourself at the exact same time every day.

Disclaimer: I don't own a scale.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #9  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

I put my scale in a place where I don't see it daily! When I was weighing daily it was driving me nuts!!! Take a deep breath and know that the weight will come off if you follow the program. Unfortunately we all lose at different rates...but if it makes you feel any better, I was always considered a slow loser...I've managed to lose weight pretty consistently on IP. Note that I only lost .4 pounds this week. You know what? I'm ok about it. I know that I am in it for the long haul so it takes the pressure off of me. As long as I follow the proticol, I will succeed and so will you.
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #10  

Thank you. I feel better now. I will not weigh in myself - I'll let my counselor do it. And I'm on the fence with the ketostix. but I won't put my faith in them. thanks for the support. I mean that.....I'll keep with it. I want to succeed!
msclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #11  
~John Wayne~ On:6/21/2012

Height: 5'4"

Just wanted to say I agree with those that say not to weigh every day, especially if it gets you worked up.

Also, if this made you 'crazy' just wait until you see a small weight gain on your Weigh In day but you loose inches. I had that a couple of times and it really made me scratch my head. But, the way I saw it was a loss is a loss. Either Weight or Inches.

Hang in there!!
jwdesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

I personally weigh myself daily but I don't get worked up over it. I like to see the little progress as it encourages me. I know that bodily functions can make all the difference as well so it's not a reason to stress when the scale is up a bit.

One thing to think about it what you ate and how much you drank. 64oz of water is 4 lbs. It may get stored in your body but it will never become permanent weight!
tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote