Old 11-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/173/160-ish

Height: 5'7"

Default Sushi Dinner...what to eat?

I'm looking for some help, in preparing and planning myself for a dinner out.

My husband and I are going out with a group to an 'All You Can Eat' Sushi Restaurant on the weekend. It's my first introduction to these people, and while I'm not worried about staying on program, I need to figure out what my options to eat are before going.

So...other than eating straight Sashimi (fish without the rice) is there anything else that I can eat?

I will eat before we go, thus reducing my hunger, but at the same time, I don't want to sit and not eat/socialize while everyone else is eating.

I'm not worried about staying OP, if I don't eat, I don't eat...just hoping there might be options I didn't think about/consider.

Can anyone offer some help/suggestions?
Humber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

Not familiar with ideal protein.. this topic just grabbed my attention from the main page.

If you're looking to limit calories and fat, I'm sure you're familiar with the basics?

Nothing crunchy or tempura. These are deep fried.

Nothing "spicy" as this usually just = mayonnaise.

Sashimi is definitely your best bet. I love sashimi with a thin slice of cucumber on top.

When I order sushi, I stick to the basics, because I like to actually like to taste the fresh fish. Otherwise, it's just a mouth full of squishy flavors. my favorite basic rolls are Tuna/Avocado, Salmon/Cucumber, Yellowtail/Scallion, and White Tuna. A lot of places are now carrying brown rice in substitution for white. (for a price)

Miso soup is low calorie, and filling albeit high in sodium. Edamame is also awesome.

Dunno if this helped.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #3  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humber View Post

My husband and I are going out with a group to an 'All You Can Eat' Sushi Restaurant on the weekend. It's my first introduction to these people, and while I'm not worried about staying on program, I need to figure out what my options to eat are before going.

So...other than eating straight Sashimi (fish without the rice) is there anything else that I can eat?

I will eat before we go, thus reducing my hunger, but at the same time, I don't want to sit and not eat/socialize while everyone else is eating.

I'm not worried about staying OP, if I don't eat, I don't eat...just hoping there might be options I didn't think about/consider.

I recall LizRR (who is now in maintenance) posting during the summer months that she stuck with sashimi a few times when she was at a sushi restaurant. Maybe someone else will pop in here.... but she's pretty conversant and savvy about what you can and can't eat on IP... so if she stuck to sashimi, chances are that's the best thing for you to do too if you want to stay 100%.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/175/145

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humber View Post

I am pretty sure that you can order rolls with no rice...they wrap them in seaweed paper or cucumber peels instead...
barri1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #5  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I stuck to dry salad with lemon wedges in lieu of dressing, green tea, miso soup (it is high in sodium, so don't be surprised by water retention), and sashimi. I went out to sushi several times in Phase 1, depending on the restaurant, 1 piece sashimi is ~.7oz of fish as a guesstimate. I would guess an 'all you can eat'may have smaller fish portions (since they want you to eat more rice than fish).
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #6  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I also ate the jicama 'garnish' on the side, maybe ask for cucumber slices. The seaweed & squid salads usually have a sugary & oily dressing (learned that the hard way).
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote