Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #76  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Good morning Fab 50+ group! It's a blah, rainy, dreary Monday here in northern MI. And they're saying snow tonight, with maybe a 2" accumulation by morning. But it is that time of year, so am looking forward to the snow!

Sigh - my scale showed a 1.5 gain this morning. Had homemade veggie soup for lunch yesterday with turnips & rutabagas in it, and then rutabaga fries for supper. Someone said a couple months ago that these 2 veggies (turnips especially) can make us retain water for a day or 2. Have any of you found this to be true? Also, 'C' is back...

My menu for bootcamp today is (no restricteds for sure today):
B'fast - ProtiDiet pancakes, plain
Lunch - homemade veggie soup w/potato puree 'gnocchi' (has one egg in it)
Snack - butterscotch pudding w/pumpkin pie spice
Supper - big salad w/bell peppers, cucumbers, onion, raw cauli & broccoli
w/evoo & vinegar, and a soup packet (Broccoli Cheese?)

I will probably do bootcamp today & tomorrow. That will be 5 days for me. Should be enough to determine if it will help or not. Then Thursday is my bi-weekly official WI. Will discuss when I should begin P2 with my coach then.

Those of you doing boot camp now - let us know how you're doing!

EDIT: I've noticed that my hotflashes have gotten worse again since beginning boot camp. Curious to see if this happens to any of you...

Last edited by greeniris; 11-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 136/120/115

Height: 5'4"

Good morning, Fab 50+! Just wanted to wish everyone luck that's doing boot camp and for those not, luck on staying 100% OP. We are all worth it!

Have a great week.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #78  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskywyoming View Post
Thanks for the wealth of information that you gave. I did the Ducan evaluation and my ideal weight was 163, so right in target with what my doctor said. I am 62 and yes, have a high body fat percentage with low skeletal muscle percentage, so weights and cardio, it is.
Glad you found it useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
Well I tried to read back (wow you all were chatty today ) but I can't figure out what you all are talking about the "Duncan" thing.

I came back with three 30 gallon trash bags 1/2 full (to heavy to carry if filled) with size things my size or smaller. Mostly smaller by a little bit, and some things that looked so nice it didn't matter they were quite a bit smaller. Slacks and jeans will be there for me when I get to size 16, a few 18's but mostly 16's are waiting for me when I'm ready. Just wait till I fit into the sexy black dresses.... I've hung them in my closet for inspiration. They are the type to go somewhere fancy, not for work. Unless you wear sequins to work Anyway I didn't try on everything, a few things, but just brought it home to try as I loose pounds. It should keep me inspired.

To be honest I've been very tempted - more then I ever have been in 5 months, to eat things I shouldn't. Not that I'm hungry so much as I "want" things.... I'm being strong, but it's odd after all these months that these feelings have come up to the surface. Probably has to do with the stress from work, it's the worse it's been in months. Writing about it now has me thinking - and putting 2 and 2 together.. eating carbs was my destress method for years, that's got to be what's happening.
Wow - sounds like you came back loaded with goodies HalfAgain! Lots of clothing items there to look forward to. My SIL called me on Saturday, and said she was going to stop off with a bunch of clothing this Thursday for me to try on... wanted to know what sizes I'm wearing now, etc. What doesn't fit or suit me she'll take to her local church goodwill shop, where she's a volunteer.

I see others have posted the link again to the Dukan Diet website. I found it interesting to see how their recommended 'True Weight' goal fitted with my ideas of what goal weight I should focus on. I know exactly what you mean about being tempted to eat things we shouldn't. It's not like I want a lot of sweets or anything - but I find myself longing for a piece of cheese, or some yogourt, etc. Or an apple! Hang in there - you are doing fabulously - you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
Good morning Fab 50+ group! It's a blah, rainy, dreary Monday here in northern MI. And they're saying snow tonight, with maybe a 2" accumulation by morning. But it is that time of year, so am looking forward to the snow!

Sigh - my scale showed a 1.5 gain this morning. Had homemade veggie soup for lunch yesterday with turnips & rutabagas in it, and then rutabaga fries for supper. Someone said a couple months ago that these 2 veggies (turnips especially) can make us retain water for a day or 2. Have any of you found this to be true? Also, 'C' is back...

I will probably do bootcamp today & tomorrow. That will be 5 days for me. Should be enough to determine if it will help or not. Then Thursday is my bi-weekly official WI. Will discuss when I should begin P2 with my coach then.

EDIT: I've noticed that my hotflashes have gotten worse again since beginning boot camp. Curious to see if this happens to any of you...
It's a fairly clear morning here in Central Ontario (so far at least)... 12 degrees C right now and going up to around 15-16 degrees C this afternoon - warm but rain is expected after lunch. Yesterday was warm and sunny too -got all the remaining plants taken out of my balcony containers for winter, and didn't even have to put on a jacket.

I did weigh myself this morning, but almost wishing I hadn't. I'm only down about .2 lbs. It's probably water retention, although I was up about 4 times last night 'visiting the bathroom'. Should have peed any excess sodium right out of me!

I got quite headachey yesterday shortly before it was time for dinner, and had a tendency to diarrhea all day. However, my dinner fixed the headache... and so far today I'm fine in the other department.

My hot flashes so far aren't noticeably worse during this boot camp, but then I'm only on day 2... I'll let you know GreenIris. Thinking about it, it makes sense that they might get a bit worse - the boot camp accelerates the fat burning (hopefully), which will be releasing more estrogen into our bloodstreams. I've certainly had many more hot flashes in the past 3-4 months or so. Irritating, isn't it! This past Saturday I had a pretty intense one during our birthday lunch... I'd ordered decaf coffee and am somewhat wondering if it was caffeinated instead... or maybe the refill was... anyway, I suddenly found myself in the middle of a significant hot flush.

I'm also now noticing that I'm getting more upper backaches as the day wears on, between the shoulder blades. This is a new thing for me - I don't recall get any before starting the diet. It seems to help if I spread my cal/mag out through the day, and take it with each meal.

Morning Everyone. Hope you all have a great day. Today will be a pretty standard day here, apart from my boot camping.

My Menu today will be:
Bfst: Cappuccino protein shake blended into hot decaf coffee.
Lunch: ProtiDiet tomato basil soup, blended with lightly steamed zucchini and red peppers, and spiced with cayenne and curry powder.
Dinner: Omelette, made with 1 whole egg & 3 egg whites; 2 cups mixed napa cabbage, red peppers and broccoli.
Snacks: ProtiDiet Pudding Packet and Choc Truffle Protein Shake (heated to make hot chocolate).

Last edited by evepet; 11-12-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #79  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

For me the Dukan site said 149, and my goal is 150, so I guess I was right on! I have a medium frame, I think - if I squeeze a bit, my fingers will meet around my wrist. I thought the question about what weight you can maintain without effort was sort of odd - since the age of about 25, I've always steadily gained if I am not dieting, so I was a little thrown by that. Planning to change that soon - once I get into maintenance...

I am feeling like I am currently shrinking everywhere except my tummy!! When I look in the mirror, I look like a fairly thin person with a big belly - eek! And I may be getting loose skin on my neck - how unsightly! This just confirms the idea that I don't want to go much below 150 - I think both of those issues will only get worse if I do!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #80  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
For me the Dukan site said 149, and my goal is 150, so I guess I was right on! I have a medium frame, I think - if I squeeze a bit, my fingers will meet around my wrist. I thought the question about what weight you can maintain without effort was sort of odd - since the age of about 25, I've always steadily gained if I am not dieting, so I was a little thrown by that. Planning to change that soon - once I get into maintenance...

I am feeling like I am currently shrinking everywhere except my tummy!! When I look in the mirror, I look like a fairly thin person with a big belly - eek! And I may be getting loose skin on my neck - how unsightly! This just confirms the idea that I don't want to go much below 150 - I think both of those issues will only get worse if I do!
I've often thought as I read your posts and view your height/weight, etc, that our stats and body types are very similiar. I'm 5'5"... goal weight 150... and also a medium boned frame (finger tips just barely meet around wrist). Like you, I seem to be shrinking everywhere else faster than my tummy. My thighs are getting downright skinny, and upper body is quite slim now...well, maybe still a little bit of 'bra fat' there... yet I still carry too much weight relative to the rest of me through the stomach. I've lost about 6" around the waist, but it still isn't shrinking relative to the rest of me. Sigh. I can't help but think that if I keep dieting to get to where I'd like to be stomach and waist-wise, the rest of me is going to look pretty emaciated! Especially my thighs. I'm going to hang in with this and see what happens as I get into the 150s, but if I keep losing everywhere BUT my middle then I may switch over to something else.

I've always had a double chin - even when I was in my 20s and weighted 120 lbs I still had a slight double chin. I've resigned myself to it, but it's not helping that I'm 61 now and the skin is also saggier there these days. In the hopes of firming up my jaw and neckline somewhat, I've ordered a couple of gadgets that I want to try (I know - hope springs eternal... LOL). Something called 'Facial Flex' and another called a "Neckline Slimmer". (Don't laugh at me.... )

BTW - I agree with your comment about the Dukan Diet question re what weight do you maintain 'without trying'.... Since age 40 or so, if I didn't pay at least some attention to watching what I ate, those pounds would come back on. And unfortunately - I didn't pay enough attention to what I ate..... and they did... and did... and did! Until I hit 209. I think I just gave up. So glad I found this program - and this forum.

Last edited by evepet; 11-12-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

The Dukan formula really takes into consideration weight history.
Lisa had made a point on another thread that really struck me. I had been baffled by people who start IP at an ideal weight for their body and then get hysterical that they "only" lose a half pound a week.
I learned not to respond to those posts anymore when Lisa pointed out that many of us on IP suffer from metabolic issues compounded by complex dieting histories. I think that the Dukan formula takes that into account. Several people mentioned they would have to decide when they got to the suggested weight if that is where they need to be.

That is so true because the big issue in deciding a suitable goal is how clothes fit and we have to judge that when we get there.

I am interested to read the bootcamp menus some posted.
I really made a point to get all the veggies in yesterday and I felt like I was eating all day.I only got in 4 packets yesterday although bootcamp calls for 5.
I noticed that the menus posted had 4 packets also.

Well back to work.
Somedays I work from home and spend too much off task time checking several sites I frequent.
Pat
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #82  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Somedays I work from home and spend too much off task time checking several sites I frequent.
Pat
I second you on that. I am also working from home and it's so easy to flip over and check out other sites. Especially, when your job has gotten extremely stressful. I just need frequent breaks, but sometimes they stretch out too far.

Molly
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #83  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesmyqueen View Post
Hello all, I did the Duncan thing and I hit it right on the nail 150, at first my coach said 130 but I'm going to see how I feel at 150 I'm big boned or at least my wrists are not even close to closing the gap when I do the wrist thing, but is is interesting to see,I forgot who suggested it but thank you.
I'm the same height as you are, and I also started out wanting 130 as my goal. I'm small framed and my fingers overlap when I do the wrist thing. However after checking out the Dukan site and talking to my doctor, I think 150 is a more realistic number. Also I'm going to have a fair amount of lose skin, so I know 150 on the scale may in reality be much less if I didn't have the extra skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post

Turnips always make my scale go up the next day, so just drink a lot of water today and the water retention will be gone by tomorrow.

Well I survived my first day and I know I wasn't going to get on the scale, but I did and I lost 4 pounds overnight. Of course that's all water from my falling off of the wagon, but still 4 pounds less either way. It's going to take me a couple of weeks to get back down to my lowest, but I'm committed for at least a week to boot camp or maybe till Thanksgiving, who knows. When the scale starts to slow down to no difference if I do boot camp or phase 1, then I'll stop. I did have some headaches last night, but I'm sure that was just me getting back into ketosis.

Today is the very first day of colder weather here in Austin. Actually had to take out my jacket to walk the dogs this morning. It is mid November, so I guess it's time. Have a good day everyone, and for those of us doing boot camp - stay strong!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #84  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
The Dukan formula really takes into consideration weight history.
Lisa had made a point on another thread that really struck me. I had been baffled by people who start IP at an ideal weight for their body and then get hysterical that they "only" lose a half pound a week.
I learned not to respond to those posts anymore when Lisa pointed out that many of us on IP suffer from metabolic issues compounded by complex dieting histories. I think that the Dukan formula takes that into account. Several people mentioned they would have to decide when they got to the suggested weight if that is where they need to be.

That is so true because the big issue in deciding a suitable goal is how clothes fit and we have to judge that when we get there.

I am interested to read the bootcamp menus some posted.
I really made a point to get all the veggies in yesterday and I felt like I was eating all day.I only got in 4 packets yesterday although bootcamp calls for 5.
I noticed that the menus posted had 4 packets also.

Well back to work.
Pat
Yes, The Dukan Diet formula definitely takes one's weight history into consideration. I find that a more sensible approach than the more generic methods. I also thoroughly agree that it's hard to say for sure what the goal weight will be until we get there. Some flexibility is definitely called for... can't get too fixated on a *number*.

As to your comment about the number of packets/day on boot camp?.... I've been having the equivalent of 5/day. Bfst packet(cappucchino protein mix); Soup packet for lunch; Pudding packet at dinner + equiv of 1 packet in the 1 egg/3 egg white omelette; plus 2 protein drink snacks (3pmish & before bed).
Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstw1 View Post
Cyndie - my daughter and I are going to Misteltoe Market today! What booth is your daughter's? We'll stop by and say hi! BTW: what is MFP?
I'm sorry I didn't check in and see your post before now..but it was pretty wild this weekend. We were at the Facebook-EB table. Adrienne actually works with the promoters of Mistletoe Market and she also has a table for a charity she sponsors, Epidermolysis Bullosa. I was just helping out/volunteering with her at the Facebook Table and the Epidermolysis Bullosa Table. We probably saw each other and didnt know it.

MFP=My Fitness Pal, an app on smart phones and computers to help track fitness goals and diaries

Last edited by cyndie; 11-12-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #86  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

HELLO LOVELY LADIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

been uber busy... got the christmas tree all finished...presents wrapped for the trek north for thanksgiving...taking them early so we don't have to mail them....got the presents all wrapped for dec 1 party, with kids and grands!! its early this year b/c of scheduling of so many families.

trip to ohio booked and planned and camping at a cottage in hueston woods... nice thanksgiving spread there...but i plan to stick pretty close to plan....might have a nibble....but i know where that can lead so right now, planning to stick 100% alternative.

planning to visit 10 covered bridges!! i love covered bridges...

and going to la comedia dinner theater to see... its a wonderful life!!

my itinerary is nearly complete...i am an organized traveler!! haha ip travel kit ready at the helm!!! i love traveling with ip....its just so easy!! so easy to pack the magic bullet too!!

will be doing the family outing to see the TSO nov 30 in greenville sc!! (trans siberian orchestra) 20 of us piling in together to go!! whoop whoop!!

then the drive through christmas lights!!!!

so as you can see, uber busy!! still have not made decision for christmas journey...getting anxious...and wondering if i really want to be away from home on christmas morning! haha the almanac is calling for snow in the southwest ohio region at thanksgiving...oh say it IS so!!! SNOW!!!

anywhoo......GOOD LUCK LADIES on the boot camp!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

special shout out to dana....woohooo back on track, doesn't it feel GREAT!!!!! WAY TO GO LADY!!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #87  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post

been uber busy... got the christmas tree all finished...presents wrapped for the trek north for thanksgiving...taking them early so we don't have to mail them....got the presents all wrapped for dec 1 party, with kids and grands!! its early this year b/c of scheduling of so many families.

trip to ohio booked and planned and camping at a cottage in hueston woods... nice thanksgiving spread there...but i plan to stick pretty close to plan....might have a nibble....but i know where that can lead so right now, planning to stick 100% alternative.

my itinerary is nearly complete...i am an organized traveler!! haha ip travel kit ready at the helm!!! i love traveling with ip....its just so easy!! so easy to pack the magic bullet too!!

will be doing the family outing to see the TSO nov 30 in greenville sc!! (trans siberian orchestra) 20 of us piling in together to go!! whoop whoop!!

so as you can see, uber busy!! still have not made decision for christmas journey...getting anxious...and wondering if i really want to be away from home on christmas morning! haha the almanac is calling for snow in the southwest ohio region at thanksgiving...oh say it IS so!!! SNOW!!!

special shout out to dana....woohooo back on track, doesn't it feel GREAT!!!!! WAY TO GO LADY!!
Rainbow - Are you from SW Ohio originally? I grew up in Cincinnati!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #88  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Rainbow - Are you from SW Ohio originally? I grew up in Cincinnati!
i am not....but after i met my dh, i moved to centerville for a year and a half...right between cincinnati and dayton. i love that area!!! except for those -14 degree winter days!! haha
nigel lived in dayton and worked in cincinnati, so i split the difference and moved inbetween...that was when we were dating.

i just did not feel right moving "in" with him, not being married, so i had my own apartment....i know right...too old fashioned!! haha

i am a born and bred carolina girl...(north carolina tarheel born and forever in ym heart!! but now live in the low country of south caroliona)

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 11-12-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #89  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post

Thanks, and it does feel good to be eating back on track again, and nothing like boot camp to get you there.

You sound like you have some very fun plans for the holidays. Enjoy!!! I need to get out myself and buy wrapping paper as my gift buying is just about done. I hear Target has an entire aisle devoted just to Hanukkah decorations.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 206/186/160

Height: 5"2

Quote:
I think you must have a large frame. In your latest pictures you certainly don't look like you weigh what your stats say. My fingers won't come close to touching either. Some people told me I can't have a large frame because my hands and feet are so small. I sometimes wonder if my fingers don't meet over my wrist because my hands are small. But it also comes out as large frame when I measure with a tape.
Maybe I have fat wrists!
Pat
Yes pants I have always weighed more than what I actually look like, and thank goodness, cuz I was getting BIG felt like I was out growing my skin, and idk I'm short only 5'2, wear a 7 1/2 shoe and size 9 ring, so I'm definately big boned, most my weight is in my boobs and stomach, so I'm hoping at 150 I'll look just like Barbie! Ha

Quote:

I here you on the tummy, your getting so close to goal, way to go!

Everpet your menu makes me Hungary.

Dana yes I saw we are the same height, so do you think you will be content or happy with a 150 goal, you're closer than I am right now, but I'm thinking if I mean when I get there I'm going to well you know.

Rainbow your life just sounds so fun, you help us remember its not all about weight your plans sound great, I'm sure you will have a blast keep us posted ok.

Well the same day of my last WI, last thur night TOM came to visit, and boy it's been a wild one, lots of cramps I keep hoping it will just go away, I'll be 50 in October how long does it take?
Closed Thread