Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #16  
Started IP 10/17/2012

S/C/G: 148/127.5/125

Height: 5'4"

It's amazing the things our bodies will do to fight losing fat. When your body is stalling for more than a week or two it's telling you something. Keeping a very thorough journal is a key in being able to see what you're doing wrong. Every component of the diet is there for a very specific and often scientific reason. 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil, 4 cups of vegetables... notice how it doesn't say a dash of salt, occasional olive oil, and vegetables if you so desire! I work at a clinic and when I'm working with clients who have bad weeks I always go through their journal with them. The next week, if they've changed what we talked about, it's usually a positive result! One thing that seems counter intuitive to a dieter is that sometimes the body needs MORE of something. If you're hungry and you appear to be following all the rules there's a good chance you need more...protein, fat, water, etc. I don't know everything, but I have seen it all! One woman tried to tell me flat out she followed the program to a T and hadn't lost a pound. Does string cheese and a sugar cookie sound like following phase one? :-) It can be hard to find out what the road block is, but once you do then you can begin to remove it!
healthyequalshappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #17  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyequalshappy View Post
It's amazing the things our bodies will do to fight losing fat. When your body is stalling for more than a week or two it's telling you something. Keeping a very thorough journal is a key in being able to see what you're doing wrong. Every component of the diet is there for a very specific and often scientific reason. 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil, 4 cups of vegetables... notice how it doesn't say a dash of salt, occasional olive oil, and vegetables if you so desire! I work at a clinic and when I'm working with clients who have bad weeks I always go through their journal with them. The next week, if they've changed what we talked about, it's usually a positive result! One thing that seems counter intuitive to a dieter is that sometimes the body needs MORE of something. If you're hungry and you appear to be following all the rules there's a good chance you need more...protein, fat, water, etc. I don't know everything, but I have seen it all! One woman tried to tell me flat out she followed the program to a T and hadn't lost a pound. Does string cheese and a sugar cookie sound like following phase one? :-) It can be hard to find out what the road block is, but once you do then you can begin to remove it!
You are right about one thing. You don't know it all.

Do you really think that fat loss has stopped in the OP? Do you know the difference between fat loss and water loss? Do you think it is impossible for someone to follow the program 100% and stay at the same weight for a week?

No offense but this is one of the most annoying things to me about the IP program. Some people working at the clinics don't seem to know the basics about human physiology.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #18  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam67green View Post
I am completely bummed about my weigh in today...no lbs lost. After only losing one pound last week, it was very disappointing. I know we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations, but my feelings were: all that planning, all that hunger, all that denying myself...all for nothing.
Hang in there! Don't let the ignorance of your coach bring you down!

Weight loss is rarely linear.

Read this.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 248.4/156.8/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Hang in there! Don't let the ignorance of your coach bring you down!

Weight loss is rarely linear.

Read this.
Appreciate your insights, John... and also wanted to let you know I have adopted your philosophy and am now EMBRACING THE SUCK!
SDChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #20  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

Do you really think that fat loss has stopped in the OP? Do you know the difference between fat loss and water loss? Do you think it is impossible for someone to follow the program 100% and stay at the same weight for a week?

No offense but this is one of the most annoying things to me about the IP program. Some people working at the clinics don't seem to know the basics about human physiology.
No need to be rude. People might take you more seriously if you weren't so sarstic in your posts.

Just saying.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
No need to be rude. People might take you more seriously if you weren't so sarstic in your posts.

Just saying.
I liked the article that was shared but not the rudeness. It fringed on a personal attack.
How about educating in a non-confrontational way, showing people other information without putting them down.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #22  
Started IP 10/17/2012

S/C/G: 148/127.5/125

Quote:

I was saying that if several weeks pass (not one) and your body has stalled that it helps to reevaluate your past weeks to see what might be causing it. But thank you for being nasty and making harsh assumptions.
healthyequalshappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyequalshappy View Post
I was saying that if several weeks pass (not one) and your body has stalled that it helps to reevaluate your past weeks to see what might be causing it. But thank you for being nasty and making harsh assumptions.
You made a point that is so important but is so often overlooked. Stalls are often caused because something has been omitted.

With me it was because I didn't notice I was not getting all the olive oil in because I was using it to cook.

I also had gone to almost total non fat because all my protein meal was always chicken breast.

After I measured out the olive oil and put it on my salad and mixed up my animal protein choices the stall broke.

So many coaches assume a stall means you have cheated when in actual fact it is just as likely something has been cut out.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #24  
Embracing the suck

I apologize for being rude. It just hit my hot button ... the IP education of it's dieters is so lacking it's pathetic and the implication that the OP (who is devestated by the weight stall) is causing it is rediculous. If you're going to take people's hard earned money you shouldn't be feeding them BS. People deserve to know the truth and telling them the truth makes everything so much easier to deal with. I'm not going to go on a big rant I'll just stick to the topic and what the OP is dealing with.

Fact: that there is a big difference between fat loss and weight loss. Fat loss is an equation of energy and energy is measured in calories. The problem is fat loss is very expensive to accurately measure so we use the scale but the scale only measures weight.

A huge number of factors affect weight. This forum and the internet is littered with thousands of people who will tell you this story or that story about how they did __________ (fill in the blank) and they lost weight. The truth is in most of those cases it is just that the body released the water it was holding onto and _________ had nothing to do with it.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #25  
started IP oct. 09 2012

S/C/G: 199.8/163/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa1921 View Post
Hi- question in all this time have you had abdominal pain in the left? Below ribcage? I have been having pain there on and off and the coach said it might be my gall bladder and to take one extra calmag, that sort of did for a bit but the pain is back. The pain is dull and sometimes crampy. I think I will go to my regular doc tomorrow but I wanted to ask you since you know so much and I didn't find anything while searching the posts. My weight loss has also been slow, 11.5 in 5wks compliant, so I don't know if that might be the issue. Seems the only thing I am skipping is the olive oil.
I had to have my gallblader removed a few years back... the thing is your gallblader is on the right side of your abdomen but your description of the pain is pretty much right on... On the other hand I have been having the same pain on and off and have been looking into what might be causing it since I do not have a gallblader I am assuming this isn't it for me

My suggestion is to get a doctor's appointment and get it checked out. Also from everything I have read you should not skip out on the olive oil... since that could affect your losses.
guil28 is offline   Reply With Quote